Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

lisdoonvarna gay weekend

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

It proves that the town is less accepting. If it was any other march (bar Orange order) there'd be no problem but I would bet my life on a lot of towns in this country kicking up a fuss if a gay pride march were to go through it.

Don't be too sure about that. Tralee, while not a small town is still in a rural area, had it's first Kerry gay pride march through the town this year and the organisers said it was a great success and that the town was very hospitable to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

No

But if there was a civil partnership in the local hotel half the town would be there happily celebrating with them.
    And you know this, how?

Are you from a rural area by any chance or are you being PC?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭carly_86

Can we get back talking about what the thread is about. Ye are taking the fun outta the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 40,982 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Folks this thread is about Lisdoonvarna - please keep it on topic

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭corked

Mixed options about it to be honest.... It is great to see a gay match making festival but I think the organisers are trying to 'cash in' on something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 universe4

LIKE WHAT?????:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭paulmorro

corked wrote: »
    Mixed options about it to be honest.... It is great to see a gay match making festival but I think the organisers are trying to 'cash in' on something.

The lisdoonvarna organizers or the organizers of the gay part?

Also most things try to make money. If it offers something at the same time why is it a bad thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

corked wrote: »

The simple fact is you're not going to get something highly polished like this event looks to be for free. Very few people will run an event out of the kindness of their hearts.

And if they're cashing in on anything, it's the exact same thing they cash in on every other year at the big straight matchmaking festival- people are lonely and want to find someone.

It's a smart move. It will not only bring a new sector of people to the area, boost tourism and bring in money, but it also normalises being gay. It's not all about big glitzy parties up in Dublin, you know? It's bog standard folks having a laugh and maybe meeting someone. No harm in that I say!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭mackD

anyone at it? I'm curious as to what it is like

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Geomy

mackD wrote: »
    anyone at it? I'm curious as to what it is like

I was up there with friends we go there most weekends, it was great to see the flags up etc. ...

I'm straight, and I had a great night last night met loads of great people, had great craic with a lovely transgender lady we chatted about spirituality. ... , and everyone mixed well....
    I don't identify with homophobes or people looking down on people because of their sexuality, thank God

I just see good people, and Lisdoon was very colourful last night :-)

• Advertisement
Advertisement