Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

lisdoonvarna gay weekend

Options
  • 11-07-2013 4:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭

Listoonvarna are hosting a gay weekend

31st aug - 1st sep

Www.theouting.ie

Whos going? Cannot wait

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Sounds like it could be fun, but the accommodation on offer seems a little expensive for 2 nights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭carly_86

Camping is an option. I am lucky enough to have a friend living near there or u could get a taxi from ennisdiamond or lahinch accom would be cheaper there

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Wouldn't have thought Lisdoonvarna was gay friendly most villages and towns on the West/Mid West aren't. That's good this event is taking place there. Looks like a nice area

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

That's a brilliant idea. hope it goes well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

"The outing"? Is this a play on "the gathering"?

SMH :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭FiachDubh

Chris___ wrote: »
    Wouldn't have thought Lisdoonvarna was gay friendly most villages and towns on the West/Mid West aren't.

Could be a Davith Thomas quote :P

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭mackD

Those dates sound like it is clashing with a Pride weekend...either Galway or Limerick I feel

Really sure both can be done

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Davyhal

It is between Limerick and Galway pride, but it clashes with Electric Picnic. As a Clare man, I am sickened I cannot make it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Wouldn't have thought Lisdoonvarna was gay friendly most villages and towns on the West/Mid West aren't. That's good this event is taking place there. Looks like a nice area

Lisdoonvarna won't know what hit it, I'm sure when they see us throwing money around like snuff at a wake, they'll welcome us with open arms.

The two official hotels are a bit pricey, himself and I are going for Saturday night only (I have to work on Saturday morning), booked into a B+B which was very reasonable. I hope it's well supported, could be great fun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Geomy

I think you should take that back, where did you get that information from ?

Was that person friendly to the people in the West/Midwest ?

What makes North,East and South different from the West /Midwest ?

We take pride in our hospitality and laid back lifestyle here in Clare and every other county in the western front.

I seen Lisdoonvarna come up in the list of topics,out of curiosity I read the post's and disappointed with the comment on the Midwest and West....

Not all of us straight people are gay unfriendly, couldn't give a toss what anyone else does as long as they're happy out :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Newport81

Is this gonna be a good event? Is it a bit desperate?

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭mackD

smyths wrote: »
    Is this gonna be a good event? Is it a bit desperate?

I'd say it is more about the craic than actual match-making:p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Geomy wrote: »
    I think you should take that back, where did you get that information from ?

Was that person friendly to the people in the West/Midwest ?

What makes North,East and South different from the West /Midwest ?

We take pride in our hospitality and laid back lifestyle here in Clare and every other county in the western front.

I seen Lisdoonvarna come up in the list of topics,out of curiosity I read the post's and disappointed with the comment on the Midwest and West....

Not all of us straight people are gay unfriendly, couldn't give a toss what anyone else does as long as they're happy out :-)

I live in the Midwest. Northest parts of North Tipperary and parts of Clare and Limerick can be very homophobic

• Registered Users Posts: 48 mnlad

I live in the Midwest. Northest parts of North Tipperary and parts of Clare and Limerick can be very homophobic

every county in ireland is homophobic no one county more than others, its just that in every county your have arseholes we all got them:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5 universe4

ANYONE KNOW WHERE THE 55+ GAY WOMEN ARE?. I LIVE IN A RURAL TOWN IN THE SOUTH AND WOULD LIKE TO MEET UP FOR A CHAT AND A LAUGH ESPECIALLY AT THE WEEKENDS.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭jaffacakesyum

mnlad wrote: »
    every county in ireland is homophobic no one county more than others, its just that in every county your have arseholes we all got them:D

Not really. It's a pretty much accepted fact that big cities are more gay friendly, so Dublin, Cork, Galway would be the best for gay life IMO. The more rural you get the more backward in general

• Registered Users Posts: 40,928 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Not really. It's a pretty much accepted fact that big cities are more gay friendly, so Dublin, Cork, Galway would be the best for gay life IMO. The more rural you get the more backward in general

Ah here - there is surprisingly lots of lgbt stuff going on outside of cities and the country really isn't that backward!

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Ah here - there is surprisingly lots of lgbt stuff going on outside of cities and the country really isn't that backward!

Of course there is, but in general are you telling me that rural towns are just as accepting of LGBT as the average city dweller?

People from rural towns will also tend to be more religious on average than those in big cities which adds to it.

Come on, it's no coincidence that London, NYC, Berlin etc. are voted best places for LGBT

EDIT: Also, I didn't say the country is backward, I said on average it is more backward than big cities.

I wonder would I get away with making a similar generalisation about gay people?

• Advertisement

I wonder would I get away with making a similar generalisation about gay people?

No

Thats why I think Jaffa is talking nonsense. The stereotype of everyone ouside the 3 major cities being backward is nonsense.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

I'm making a generalisation about rural communities rather than individual "if you're from the country you're backward" but whatever.

Take a small rural town, couple hundred people, very religious (everyone in Church every Sunday etc.)

If a gay pride march ran through this town, flags flying, men in asslass chaps, do you think it would be as accepting as if it ran through Dublin?

Genuine question.

No

Thats why I think Jaffa is talking nonsense. The stereotype of everyone ouside the 3 major cities being backward is nonsense.

Quote me where I said that.

I'm making a generalisation about rural communities rather than individual "if you're from the country you're backward" but whatever.

Take a small rural town, couple hundred people, very religious (everyone in Church every Sunday etc.)

If a gay pride march ran through this town, flags flying, men in asslass chaps, do you think it would be as accepting as if it ran through Dublin?

Genuine question.

No

But if there was a civil partnership in the local hotel half the town would be there happily celebrating with them.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Would have opinions on all of the recent posts - and there's some merit and truth in all of them -
    but is anyone actually planning on going to the Lisdoonvarna weekend?
    Would be very curious to hear how it goes.

Genuine question.

How does comparing a parade in dublin to a parade in a religious town youve just made up prove anything? the only thing youve proven is that prejudice comes in many forms

lottpaul wrote: »
    Would have opinions on all of the recent posts - and there's some merit and truth in all of them -
    but is anyone actually planning on going to the Lisdoonvarna weekend?
    Would be very curious to hear how it goes.

I am going i know the area and people very well and they have no prob with gays

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Caiseoipe19

I think you'll be very hard pushed to find a small rural town that could be described as "very religious" these days and that everyone (or even the vast majority) go to Church every Sunday, although that's a different issue.

I don't agree that if you are from a rural town and go to mass you're considered "backward". I also don't believe going to mass equates being unaccepting of diversity.

I don't think people's opinions on the appropriateness of men walking down the street in assless chaps to be a sign that they are. There are plenty of gay people that think this is inappropriate.

Maybe we have different opinions of what "backwards" means.

Just because people in rural towns have less diversity, eg. openly gay people, it doesn't mean they are any less accepting than urban people.

Basically, generalisations are stupid.

How does comparing a parade in dublin to a parade in a religious town youve just made up prove anything? the only thing youve proven is that prejudice comes in many forms

It proves that the town is less accepting. If it was any other march (bar Orange order) there'd be no problem but I would bet my life on a lot of towns in this country kicking up a fuss if a gay pride march were to go through.
    I think you'll be very hard pushed to find a small rural town that could be described as "very religious" these days and that everyone (or even the vast majority) go to Church every Sunday, although that's a different issue.

Really? I'm not even talking about the back arse of nowhere - my parents have a house near a village in Wicklow and most people would go to Church on Sunday. You won't get hassle if you don't but it would be unusual not to.
    I don't agree that if you are from a rural town and go to mass you're considered "backward".

Either do I. Again, people saying things that I never quoted.
    I also don't believe going to mass equates being unaccepting of diversity.

Not necessarily. But the Catholic Church teaches that homosexuality is wrong. I don't believe in "a la carte" Catholics. You either believe it or you don't.
    I don't think people's opinions on the appropriateness of men walking down the street in assless chaps to be a sign that they are. There are plenty of gay people that think this is inappropriate.

Maybe we have different opinions of what "backwards" means.

Just because people in rural towns have less diversity, eg. openly gay people, it doesn't mean they are any less accepting than urban people.

Basically, generalisations are stupid.

And there's the crux of the issue. I don't want to put words in your mouth, just looking for clarification - you believe it's harder for people to be openly gay in small rural areas?

EDIT: Sorry, the last quote there, just reading it again I doubt that's what you meant but was just asking for clarification on your opinion.

• Advertisement

Although this is probably off topic a lot so mods let me know if I can continue the discussion or not.

Advertisement