Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Irish player had the best 2013 season?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

some strange selections here - madigan, o'donnell , murray , zebo for me

anyway , the players need a long rest before the new season -

ps I think the rugby unions are killing the game with the length of the season , the new pro game should follow American football , where players get a serious time to rest up - rest is nearly as important as fitness , to stay healthy and fresh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭19543261

Unfortunately it sometimes seems like players get their due rest through eventual injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Longer seasons make more money and the players can get paid more. Nfl players are all earning millions anyway so they don't have to play as much. Rugby salaries are small enough already without a shortened season reducing them more.

matthew8 wrote: »
    Longer seasons make more money and the players can get paid more. Rugby salaries are small enough already without a shortened season reducing them more.

the NFL is around long eneogh , to know the value of rest - sure , why stop at all then , just play 12 months a year , and risk chronic arthitis & burnout all for a few extra euros - in 10 years time, people will understand the value of rest

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

thebaz wrote: »
    the NFL is around long eneogh , to know the value of rest - sure , why stop at all then , just play 12 months a year , and risk chronic arthitis & burnout all for a few extra euros - in 10 years time, people will understand the value of rest

The NFL is a far far more dangerous sport. Even though they play far less there are tons of injuries. They never played long seasons and have only ever increased season length. We're already 10 years into professional rugby with long seasons so I don't think another 10 will change anything in terms of injuries.

• Advertisement

matthew8 wrote: »
    We're already 10 years into professional rugby with long seasons so I don't think another 10 will change anything in terms of injuries.

completly disagree, 10 years is nothing , you want long seasons , I don't for players welfare (8 months max). Crippling arthitis is very slow to creep up, but believe me it is wretched , I have some myself , from various physical pursuits.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

Think Madigan and Henderson are the strongest contenders. Madigan has taken just two years to go from third choice for Leinster to being second choice for Ireland, and Leinster fans aren't nearly as worried as they could be about Sexton's departure. Henderson has been pulled up through the ranks at an unbelievable speed and has performed credibly at every stage. I can't think of anyone who comes close to those two.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

I thought we were talking about Irish internationals. If not, then Madigan for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭conf101

.ak wrote: »
    I thought we were talking about Irish internationals. If not, then Madigan for me.

But Madigan is an international

• Registered Users Posts: 4,759 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

If we are including everyone just not internationals then

Madigan, TOD, Zebo, POM, Healy, SOB, Heanderson

Out of the internationals i'd say POM has had a standout season, as in where he is now compared to where he was at the start. SOB and Healy have been excellent too, but we are used to that at this stage!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,796 ✭✭✭✭phog

Actually thinking about it again, James Coughlan can't have been too unhappy with his season after he got over his injury in the early part of the season.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Madigan for me, in terms of how much he contributed whenever he played - very consistent and made a huge impact all year long. Only drawback is playing behind a pack that's going backwards, he needs to improve his game control in those circumstances...

conf101 wrote: »
    But Madigan is an international

As much as Henderson is. I thought the OP meant established lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,852 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Certainly Madigan from my patch, honourable mention to Craig Gilroy, big Tommy O'D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

I would give it to Murray. Went from being a 50/50 call to start for Ireland to arguably the form scrumhalf on the B&I Lions tour. Given neither Italy nor France have particularly compelling 9 options at present, maybe only Kahn Fotualii is a better scrumhalf in Europe at the moment.

Murray had a reasonably good Lions your (I guess he played about 50 minutes in the tests?) Im delighted as we need a form 9 for Irelad.

But lets not go overboard

There is a guy up at Ulster who is in a different league.

There are also at least 2 French scrumhalves that are better than Murray.

After that I'd agree he is in the next pack but Id struggle to agree he is the clear leader there.

padser wrote: »
    Murray had a reasonably good Lions your (I guess he played about 50 minutes in the tests?) Im delighted as we need a form 9 for Irelad.

But lets not go overboard

There is a guy up at Ulster who is in a different league.

There are also at least 2 French scrumhalves that are better than Murray.

After that I'd agree he is in the next pack but Id struggle to agree he is the clear leader there.

France have never had an issue developing great SH, so not exactly fair comparison there. Who in Ulster is better? I'm a fan of Marshall's tempo and all that but he has more weak points that Murray does now.

I'll be the first to say I was one of Murray's critics, but I'll admit I was being unfair as Ireland made him look slow and poor in the same way it made Sexton look bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭dtpc191991

.ak wrote: »
    France have never had an issue developing great SH, so not exactly fair comparison there. Who in Ulster is better? I'm a fan of Marshall's tempo and all that but he has more weak points that Murray does now.

I'll be the first to say I was one of Murray's critics, but I'll admit I was being unfair as Ireland made him look slow and poor in the same way it made Sexton look bad.

I think he means Piennar.

dtpc191991 wrote: »

Ha, he's only a show pony! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

dtpc191991 wrote: »

Not a Piennar fan myself (at international level). Maybe it's the SA coaches, but he is ever so predictable for the Boks. There are much better scrumhalves playing in the SA franchises eg Sarel Pretorius.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 dingoberry

Healy, POM, Murray, TOD, Madigan, Coughlan, Zebo and Sexton all had generally excellent seasons. I still can't believe Coughlan will never get capped.

Honourable mentions to Henderson, Best, Donnacha Ryan, Darcy, Henshaw, Gilroy, Marshall, Bowe, POC, Heaslip (at the end of the season) and Jackson.

In terms of making a real splash at international level and/or week in, week out performing: Zebo, TOD, Madigan, Murray shone.

Picking one: TOD - he was just outstanding almost every minute of every game.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Zebo I reckon. His stock has just risen and risen.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Chabals Beard

In terms of popularity, Zebo. He is a big name now compared to 12 months ago. In terms of a overall season, Murray. Had one woeful game vs Racing but quickly made up for it. Munster would be so badly screwed it he got injured at some point during The season.

Advertisement