Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Irish player had the best 2013 season?

Options
  • 08-07-2013 8:53pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 392 ✭✭

Who do you think?

Think the main contenders are Murray, Heaslip.
    With Sexton, O'Connell, Healy and Bowe the next level but missed too much of the season due to injury.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

No one.

Murray didn't have a good season, he had an excellent Lions tour, an up and down 6N and a poor start of the year.
    Heaslip was excellent since the 6N but very quiet during it.
    Sexton was Sexton - I think he was probably the most consistent but he wasn't exactly pulling up trees in the 6N either.

Ultimately, everyone was pretty **** in the 6N which puts a bit of a dampener on the whole thing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭CastingCouch

Mike McCarthy had a real good season imo.

Maybe not the best though?

Rozza Best.

Mike McCarthy had a real good season imo.

Maybe not the best though?

His handling was absolutely infuriating all season. So many dropped balls.

Good shout though, I thought he really got stuck in.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Coleridge

Agreed,nobody really. Perhaps Henderson and Gilroy as breakthroughs. none of the established players had a vintage session by any means.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭CastingCouch

Podge_irl wrote: »
    His handling was absolutely infuriating all season. So many dropped balls.

Good shout though, I thought he really got stuck in.

Yeah against England especially (although everyone was at it).

He really stepped it up though I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭LowOdour

What about Zebo? Played pretty well in his first season in the 6N, ok in the HC and got a call up to the lions, where he did well when he played

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Based on consistency throughout the season I'd probably say POM. But it wasn't a great year for individual players. Anyone who looked very good at times kind of fell off the radar through form or injury.

Healy or Madigan with honorable shouts too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 392 ✭✭JagerScout

POM was not consistent, had 1 good game during the 6N.

Madigan and Zebo both benefit from not having much involvement in that abomination of a 6N!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Candidates for me are Ian Madigan, Stuart Olding and Tommy Bowe.

Ian Madigan acquitted himself well at full-back and put in some stand out performances at out-half, not to mention winning the golden boot in the Pro 12. For me he should have seen more game-time for Ireland ahead of Paddy Jackson in my opinion.

Stuart Olding emerged more in the tail end of the season but for a 19 year old he put in some really impressive performances with Ulster and earned himself a call up to the Irish team.

Tommy Bowe was constantly battling through injury this season, but still managed to hold onto form both at club level and test level and finished it off with a Lions victory.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Sexton was Sexton - I think he was probably the most consistent but he wasn't exactly pulling up trees in the 6N either.

Hard to do that in a cast all right! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Also I'm shocked we've gone 13 posts without SOB being mentioned. My player of the year, if only because he was the ONLY consistently good Irish player through the 6N.

.ak wrote: »
    Hard to do that in a cast all right! :D

I've actually managed to erase the 6N enough from my memory that I forgot he was injured.

Thanks for ****ing ruining that you bastard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Artful_Badger

Thought Heaslip had a good season.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Has to be SOB. Only consistent 6N performer, and only good player who could stay healthy all the way through the season and Lions series.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Seanbass

would have said Madigan myself, really stepped up his game when Sexton leaving was announced.

honorable mentions to the usuals, P O'C, Healy, S O'B etc, McFadden was his usual Workhorse self too

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Bassfish

Tommy O' Donnell had a great season for Munster

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

Between TOD, Madigan, Murray for me.

Hard to remember the whole way back to August though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

My €0.02. I would give it to Murray. Went from being a 50/50 call to start for Ireland to arguably the form scrumhalf on the B&I Lions tour. Given neither Italy nor France have particularly compelling 9 options at present, maybe only Kahn Fotualii is a better scrumhalf in Europe at the moment.

No Irish player seemed on form all season (but then who is), I guess SOB came closest.

• Advertisement

No Irish player seemed on form all season (but then who is), I guess SOB came closest.

but you pick murray :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

JagerScout wrote: »
    but you pick murray :confused:

Well, your Q is which player had the best 2013 season? Not which player was the most consistent. I'd say Murray would be very content as he heads off to the beach for a few weeks. He was never that poor either, but has improved ++. It's only an opinion, don't get too hung up about it...

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Hottowel

.ak wrote: »
    Also I'm shocked we've gone 13 posts without SOB being mentioned. My player of the year, if only because he was the ONLY consistently good Irish player through the 6N.

That's true. He doesn't ever seem to get much recognition. Thought himself and Tipuric were the standout backrow players of the tour and it was amazing they only featured in the last test. Granted backrow was competitve but they were the two best players in the back row.

Well, your Q is which player had the best 2013 season? Not which player was the most consistent. I'd say Murray would be very content as he heads off to the beach for a few weeks. He was never that poor either, but has improved ++. It's only an opinion, don't get too hung up about it...

Murray wasn't poor you must have missed the group stages of the Heineken cup.

But i'd agree he had a pretty good season, just needs to stay consistent and retain his form shown during the Lions.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,796 ✭✭✭✭phog

As it seems anyone who featured in the 6Ns is ruled out due to the disaster that turned out to be I'd go for TOD, it was a great season for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Just seen this on the twitter machine:

OptaJonny ‏@OptaJonny 7h
    5 - Scrum-half @ConorMurray_9 weighed in with more try assists (five) than any other player on the 2013 #Lions tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,796 ✭✭✭✭phog

jm08 wrote: »
    Just seen this on the twitter machine:

OptaJonny ‏@OptaJonny 7h
    5 - Scrum-half @ConorMurray_9 weighed in with more try assists (five) than any other player on the 2013 #Lions tour.

I assume that's midweek games too, still he had a great tour. Delighted for him, grabbed his opportunity when he got it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,758 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Clearly the answer to the thread is Paddy Jackson.

Sean O'Brien bring a close second.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Sean O'Brien missed the first half of the season with Leinster and the AIs for Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,758 ✭✭✭✭bilston

jm08 wrote: »
    Sean O'Brien missed the first half of the season with Leinster and the AIs for Ireland.

Well it's hard to think of too many others who played consistently well across the whole season. Maybe Heaslip or possibly Murray but its really only been since the new year that Murray has come to the fire.

Advertisement