Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

James O'Connor to be released from Rebels

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Good move by the Rebels IMO. He's on a big contact and surprisingly they play better as a team without him and Beale. Wonder will he be tempted by a move overseas.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭ColmH81

I'd say if the Tahs don't take him(they've 20+ players up for contract renewal and the end of season), then he'll probably be france bound..! He's not the worst player, but yeah, big contract due to hope he'd be the next big thing..

I just don't overly rate him at 10..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Rebels plan to hold onto Beale though as they feel he will be better without O'Connor around him. Not sure if Beale would stay with the Rebels, if he does move to the Tahs it does mean that JOC will most likely not move to the Tahs as they are too disruptive as a pair. Force are the most likely team for him to move to, unless the Reds decide they need him. I think he will stay in Australia because he will want to redeem himself after the Lions Tests, and the fact that if he did go abroad the chances of him coming straight back into the Australian team after a few years are slim.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭ColmH81

Kiwi_knock wrote: »
    Rebels plan to hold onto Beale though as they feel he will be better without O'Connor around him. Not sure if Beale would stay with the Rebels, if he does move to the Tahs it does mean that JOC will most likely not move to the Tahs as they are too disruptive as a pair. Force are the most likely team for him to move to, unless the Reds decide they need him. I think he will stay in Australia because he will want to redeem himself after the Lions Tests, and the fact that if he did go abroad the chances of him coming straight back into the Australian team after a few years are slim.

Really couldn't see the Reds taking him.. They seem to have ample players..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Diamondmaker

Deans is gone now too. EMCz ready to step in.

JOC and Beale also missed the team bus to training during the week. ...

• Advertisement

Cheika has come out and said that the Tahs are not interested in signing O'Connor, so really it is a choice between the Force and going abroad. Going abroad is probably the easier move for him, but with his reputation amongst Australian fans at its lowest he might stay and try to rejuvenate his career.

• Administrators Posts: 53,450 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Is he likely to be on wages vastly exceeding what Leinster would pay? I've no idea what Aussie players are paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

awec wrote: »
    Is he likely to be on wages vastly exceeding what Leinster would pay? I've no idea what Aussie players are paid.

Nah I'd doubt it. I'd say Leinster could beat any offers from Australia, but they might not be willing to beat any English or French sides offers.

There's also no good reason that Leinster would be allowed sign JOC by the IRFU.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Wouldn't want him there anyway, unless ZK wasn't signed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Glass Prison 1214

There's also no good reason that Leinster would be allowed sign JOC by the IRFU.

Ye if anyone is going to sign him from this country Munster would clearly be in need more then Leinster. Realistically though he won't be playing on these shores anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,789 ✭✭✭✭phog

He's surely throwing away the opportunity of playing for his country by moving to the NH, cant see him doing it.

If he does move then he'd surely hit for France for the bigger pay cheque.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

He's 23 and already has 40 caps for Aus, wouldn't be surprised to see him head off to France for a year or two for a bit of cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭CorsendonkX

He signed for NSW West Harbour Pirates last month. If a good enough offer comes in from France or Japan I suppose he could easily buy himself out.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/rugby/james-o8217connor-signs-with-west-harbour-in-a-move-that-hints-at-a-switch-to-the-nsw-waratahs/story-fnii0lgw-1226658393882

A year or two abroad might get rid of the Bieber tag.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

I would LOVE to see Bieber at Leinster. Top quality winger and a great man to replace Isa. Couldn't see it happening though, he'd get offered plenty in France if he wanted to go there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

Walker, Tuqiri, Giteau, Cooper, Beale, Ioane, O'Connor............

What is it with so many Australian sportsmen being utter bellends off the pitch. Worse still the more talented the are frequently the worse they are!!

Deans tried to break that mould and failed, I wouldn't hold much for McKenzie in geral tbh.

What is it with so many Australian sportsmen being utter bellends off the pitch. Worse still the more talented the are frequently the worse they are!!

Deans tried to break that mould and failed, I wouldn't hold much for McKenzie in geral tbh.

Ah come you're being too harsh here, Ioane is well grounded. I know he has some mild assult charge but everybody makes mistakes. Wasn't Howlett arrested when he arrived in Munster for drunkenly dancing on cars?? And he's still loved in Munster.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

GiftofGab wrote: »
    Ah come you're being too harsh here, Ioane is well grounded. I know he has some mild assult charge but everybody makes mistakes. Wasn't Howlett arrested when he arrived in Munster for drunkenly dancing on cars?? And he's still loved in Munster.

The cars had Dublin regs...

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,187 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I know he has some mild assult charge but everybody makes mistakes.

I don't know too many people up in court on assault, to be honest. I consider there a difference between dancing on cars (which is bloody thick) and assaulting someone.

There's a massive machismo culture in Australia mixed with a solid drinking culture which result in a lot of stupid behaviour. There are plenty of examples of it in RL and AFL in Australia also.

With that said, it's not like the same doesn't exist in Irish rugby. We're just great at sweeping it under the rug and making it go away.

Buer wrote: »
    I don't know too many people up in court on assault, to be honest. I consider there a difference between dancing on cars (which is bloody thick) and assaulting someone.

There's a massive machismo culture in Australia mixed with a solid drinking culture which result in a lot of stupid behaviour. There are plenty of examples of it in RL and AFL in Australia also.

With that said, it's not like the same doesn't exist in Irish rugby. We're just great at sweeping it under the rug and making it go away.

Yeah but I still wouldn't consider him an "absolute bellend" for the assult. Stupid thing to do but I don't know the full story. He could have simply reacted to a drunken fool.

All I know is that I follow him on twitter and he seems well grounded. He appears to be a family man, who's constantly grateful for his rugby career. He knows he's lucky and is thankful for it.

I do agree that Beale and JOC are a bit too cocky for their own good. From speaking with Rebel fans, the Rebel team don't actually like either of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Ye if anyone is going to sign him from this country Munster would clearly be in need more then Leinster. Realistically though he won't be playing on these shores anytime soon.

Maybe November ;)

Fair enough. Ioane certainly hasn't misbehaved to the same extent as Beale and JOC.

In relation to JOC, I think the ARU would absolutely consider cutting their losses and letting him head off. He's an excellent player but his attitude seems to stink. This test series was the biggest of his career and he behaved pretty badly. Staying out until 4am, missing the team bus to training two days before the final test, heading out on the lash until 5am straight after the final test....he just doesn't seem to have a brain in his head.

The reports from Australia suggest his colleagues are fed up with him. He hasn't performed in the test series. His team in Melbourne don't want him. Let him go to Europe of NRL can take him. The emergence of Folau has been a huge boost. If they can identify another winger with Beale at 15, then they're in business.

Yeah but I still wouldn't consider him an "absolute bellend" for the assult. Stupid thing to do but I don't know the full story. He could have simply reacted to a drunken fool.

All I know is that I follow him on twitter and he seems well grounded. He appears to be a family man, who's constantly grateful for his rugby career. He knows he's lucky and is thankful for it.

I do agree that Beale and JOC are a bit too cocky for their own good. From speaking with Rebel fans, the Rebel team don't actually like either of them.

There's alot of stupid behaviour in RL as there's many bogans who play and support it but I don't think there's much in AFL. Sure Lance 'Buddy' Franklin told some girl off on a night out a few weeks ago and that made the news headlines. They really don't tolerate any nonsense behaviour in AFL.

Anyways back on topic, I would love to see JOC stay in Australia. He's too young and talented to throw away his international career. He really needs a club that he can stay with for a good few years and play in the same position.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭CorsendonkX

Maybe November ;)

He only wants to play fly-half. If they could afford him, would Leinster or Munster want a player that tells the coach what position he wants to play in? He is toxic to any squad with his current attitude.

O'Connor and Beale decided to go partying after the Lions game.
    http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/rugby/james-oconnor-kurtley-beale-party-on-at-kings-cross-as-wallabies-coach-robbie-deans-is-bounced/story-fnh5q2e7-1226676224407

It's telling in that article that incoming Rebels coach McGahan was asked if he wanted to keep JOC

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

Yeah ok thats the key point there! I'll take Ioane out of the list but the general theme still stands.

What does McKenzie do different to Deans? Just let them do whatever they want or try and find a middle ground? Sends the wrong message to the rest of the squad though.

Australian rugby is edging ever closer to the precipice, what odds on it being the Lions to Argentina in 2025?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Whoa, Whoa, Whoa, I met Tuqiri at Sydney University total legend

astonaidan wrote: »

Who has a lengthy list of incidents to his name which culminated in his contract being torn up.

Interesting that Tony McGahan supported the decision to get rid of JOC, as he did not fit into the team both on and off the field. Makes you think that Deans was the only one in the Aussie management team that supported JOC and believed he could be a 10.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

astonaidan wrote: »

I would never suggest you are riding a high horse there astonaidan, but when you start with "Whoa, Whoa, Whoa", the thought did briefly cross my mind...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Who has a lengthy list of incidents to his name which culminated in his contract being torn up.
    Well I judge people from personal interactions and he seemed like a genuine nice guy always good for banter and a smile on his face.
    James O'Connor from my brief interaction with him is a dick.
    Hes the perfect example of macho man modern day Aussie

Advertisement