Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you rather be a Christian, a Muslim or a Jew?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭Kiwi in IE

Do you have to fully practice? If so I'd take the bullet from the hypothetical gun pointed at my head over any of those three options!

If I didn't have to fully practice and only go to mass for Xmas, Easter and religious rituals, I'd take Catholic. I can live without bacon and am female, however I do have a son and his bits and bobs staying intact is quite important, so Jewish ruled out!

If I had the choice of converting to any religion at all and fully practising, or the gun pointed at my head, I could probably nearly do Anglican.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,386 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

You don't even need to believe in Jesus Christ to be an Anglican :) well, I vaguely remember hearing about some UK bish in the 80s who was such...

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭Kiwi in IE

ninja900 wrote: »
    You don't even need to believe in Jesus Christ to be an Anglican :) well, I vaguely remember hearing about some UK bish in the 80s who was such...

Hence why if there was a gun pointed at my head and I had to pick a religion to convert to I could probably nearly do Anglican. Not believing in God would likely cause issue though.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Terrlock

Why does this thread start with the heading Would you rather be a Christian, a Muslim or a Jew?

I came in to vote Christian to discover the option is actually Catholicism and not Christian.

Quite disappointed in that.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

I think if I was actually forced to follow every aspect of any of those, my preferred option would have to be suicide.

I don't mind the dietary laws, no problem there. But being female, every single one of these "faiths" would force me to submit first to my father and then my husband.
    They would have me "cover up" to a varying degree, but certainly more than I'd be happy to cover myself.
    And all three regard me as little more than a machine for birthing babies.
    Not happening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

As a woman, I'd also take the bullet to the brain. You could maybe sell me on one that didn't involve me having to consider myself and be treated as a second class citizen, or chattel.

A female Jehovah's Witness tried to recruit me once. "So, only Jehovah's Witnesses get to go heaven, right? And there's only 144k places? And those places are wired off for past and future elders, correct? And women cannot become elders? Are you really trying to sell me your idea of heaven that neither you nor I can get into?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

Terrlock wrote: »
    Why does this thread start with the heading Would you rather be a Christian, a Muslim or a Jew?

I came in to vote Christian to discover the option is actually Catholicism and not Christian.

Quite disappointed in that.

You do realise that the poll was for people who are atheists, not people who spout drivel about how "god will punish us all for trying to know the universe", don't you?

• Site Banned Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭Brown Bomber

Assume you're forced to make a decision in life and you've only got one of the three Abrahamic monotheistic religions to choose from - which would you pick?

I know it's hypothetical and all that but I guess it'll show which religion is deemed the most acceptable (if that makes sense) and which particular faith would never be picked.

So, the choice is a Catholic, a Sunni Muslim, or an Orthodox Jew.

Personally, I'd be a Catholic because I think it's the most benign and harmless. Both the Jews and Muslims are prolific circumcising religions and that alone would deter me from entering the faith.

So which would you pick and why?

Thread reminds me of a particular sectarian chant popular with hooligans in the terraces.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Sunni Muslim
    You do realise that the poll was for people who are atheists, not people who spout drivel about how "god will punish us all for trying to know the universe", don't you?

Well, if he didn't want us to poke at it he shouldn't have left it there, should he?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Sunni Muslim
    Thread reminds me of a particular sectarian chant popular with hooligans in the terraces.

Please enlighten those of us who don't watch men kick balls around how you managed to find some sectarianism in that post.

• Advertisement
Advertisement