Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion 2013/14

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,905 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Pitch dark in Galway with torrential rain no sparks yet

• Registered Users Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭pad199207

Nice cell over Armagh now. Heading for Lough Neagh

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Been very warm in southern poland again today, storms kicking off here again now. Just had 1 clap of thunder that made the upstairs old wooden windows rattle. Hard trying to get the kids to bed in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

Yup. Just a minute ago

304296.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

snaps wrote: »
    Been very warm in southern poland again today, storms kicking off here again now. Just had 1 clap of thunder that made the upstairs old wooden windows rattle. Hard trying to get the kids to bed in it.

Let them stay up and watch the show!

• Advertisement

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Why cant you say where you are we are not mind readers, you could be anywhere.

Why the attitude? No mind reading required, just a bit of common sense. That would tell you since the poster is on an Irish site, he/she is probably in Ireland. A quick glance at the radar would narrow it down a bit further. Add a bit of common courtesy, and voila, a bit more of a discussion and engagement for new users of the weather forum.

YOU might not be a mind reader, but don't speak for anyone else. I don't know who this "we" is, but it's certainly not the entire weather forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Aerohead

keith16 wrote: »
    YOU might not be a mind reader, but don't speak for anyone else. I don't know who this "we" is, but it's certainly not the entire weather forum.

I personally think its stupid to post about something happening and not say where it is, I recall lots of posters during the recent storms posting about wind doing damage and flooding and no mention of where it was all happening, other posters were constantly asking people to say what location they were in, I am with storm 10 on this, he did come back and reply to the OP, how do you know that other members would not do the same if they saw the post about lightning and no mention of where it was.

Aerohead wrote: »
    I personally think its stupid to post about something happening and not say where it is, I recall lots of posters during the recent storms posting about wind doing damage and flooding and no mention of where it was all happening, other posters were constantly asking people to say what location they were in, I am with storm 10 on this, he did come back and reply to the OP, how do you know that other members would not do the same if they saw the post about lightning and no mention of where it was.

A bit of an oversight maybe, but stupid? There are no requirements in the charter that posts about events must be accompanied by the users location. Indeed, why should users be obliged to tell you where they are? If you're that curious, PM them or ask politely. Otherwise, we all have access to the real time radar.

Honestly, a newb who has every right to come on here and ask questions. Labelling these posts as "stupid" or attacking them for our lack of mind-reading ability does the forum no favours. There a plenty of of other members who are capable of a polite "where abouts are ya?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

In fairness Keith, there is nothing more annoying than a "just had a massive rumble of thunder here" or "total whiteout right now here" and not state where "here" is. Such statements should at least by accompanied with the county where it took place. Common sense IMO.

SnowDrifts wrote: »
    In fairness Keith, there is nothing more annoying than a "just had a massive rumble of thunder here" or "total whiteout right now here" and not state where "here" is. Such statements should at least by accompanied with the county where it took place. Common sense IMO.

Agreed, but common sense shouldn't be a one way street.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Chicken1

In fairness storm replied to him with the info he requested which he would have done first time had the OP said his location, I cant understand posters who don't give the location of an incident, they don't have to say where they live, a County or a nearby Town or City will do the job

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Video

I wrote the post quickly and forgot to include my location, thanks for sticking up for me though keith!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,348 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Nice cell near atlone! , sorry cant upload screengrab from my phone :(

It was an awesome cell! I was out golfing in it and wouldn't ya know, it was the first day I forgot my cellphone to take photos! :D

Really well defined ridge and the darkness was just awesome. I was a bit far away to see lightning, but the thunder was loud and clear! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Mod Note
    Back on topic please guys & no need to call out other posts on thread or indulge in a bit of backseat modding. If you have an issue with a post just report it!
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

I got a few timelapses today and threw this together in 15 minutes!

Good load of thunder, few cloud to cloud bolts, and a couple of cloud to ground bolts.

It good to say that the 2014 Spring Storm Season has finally opened :D

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Video

I got a few timelapses today and threw this together in 15 minutes!

Good load of thunder, few cloud to cloud bolts, and a couple of cloud to ground bolts.

It good to say that the 2014 Storm Season has finally opened :D

Didn't we just have about 5 months of storms?

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

Video wrote: »
    Didn't we just have about 5 months of storms?

I should have said spring storms... different from winter ones...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭vickers209

MET HAVE ISSUED A YELLOW WARNING FOR HEAVY THUNDERY RAIN ON SOUTHERN FACING COASTS FOR THIS EVENING AND TONIGHT
    STATUS YELLOW

Rainfall Warning for Cork, Kerry and Waterford

Heavy/thundery rain this evening and early tonight with heavy or thundery showers following overnight and on Saturday. 25 to 40 mm rainfall expected, heaviest in coastal areas.
    Issued:
    Friday 25 April 2014 11:00
    Valid:
    Friday 25 April 2014 16:00 to Saturday 26 April 2014 16:00

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Quick post for tomorrow.

Pulse type thunderstorms possible for midlands.

Conditions.

• Decent cape and LI values .
    • Cold pool of roughly -20C at 500hpa giving rise to steep lapse rates.
    • Lack of Speed and directional shear to be severe/ long lasting

So heavy rain , hail and isolated cells possible.

Estofex alert level guess? - 50% probability line ( below level 1 ) .

ENjoy .

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

As and where predicted, a few sparks now...http://brunnur.vedur.is/athuganir/eldingar/i_dag_na.html?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭snowstreams

A lot of large hail coming with these thunder showers too. Here is my drain pipe full of hail after a shower at 3pm near athenry Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭monster1

Just heard a rattle of thunder in Galway city. Sky very dark in the distance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

monster1 wrote: »
    Just heard a rattle of thunder in Galway city. Sky very dark in the distance

Yep! Dark skies moving in from the east over the city. Big flash of lightning and another rumble of thunder just now. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cyclops999

Plenty of thunder around Athlone

• Registered Users Posts: 6,322 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

clearly i should have been paying more attention. haven't heard a peep

• Registered Users Posts: 4 corkeweather

Thunder/heavy downpour near Roches Point in Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 6,322 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

easily known there's thunder and lightening in the area. the dogs around the estate are going nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,905 ✭✭✭Storm 10

One flash of lightning in Galway was the brightest I ever saw followed by extremely loud thunder :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,101 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Loud thunde. SE of castlebar. In the tuam direction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Sun splitting the trees in dublin.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement