Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bruce Springsteen gig

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Deco99

so who was impressed by how efficient the bars were?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

Deco99 wrote: »
    so who was impressed by how efficient the bars were?

They were efficient at taking your money. Turning the vouchers into pints was a whole other story. Queued for nearly 40 minutes at one point

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I think half the city was down the Marina last night, every other person on my FB was either at it uploading pics or outside it relaxing it.

Seen a few pics of a good couple of yachts down the river as well just listening out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

Just listening to 96fm about the exits at the end, one gate was locked because they couldnt find the key???? i thought that was illegal in case of fire or emergency?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Grand Moff Tarkin

hoodwinked wrote: »
    Just listening to 96fm about the exits at the end, one gate was locked because they couldnt find the key???? i thought that was illegal in case of fire or emergency?
    Not had much dealings in the past with the GAA I take it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

hoodwinked wrote: »

Great gig. Best I've seen since slane 2001 (U2).

Exit (only ONE) was a joke, glad there wasn't a crush.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,967 ✭✭✭lukin

A lot of criticism on the peoplesrepublicofcork forum as regards the organisation (or lack of it to be more precise).
    • Massive queues for the bars; took ages to get a drink (queues were not stewarded properly either)
    • The men's toilets closed an hour before the end of the gig
    • No lighting on the way out; people stumbling around in the dark
    • Main exit was blocked (incredible if true)
    • Traffic going down roads that were thronged by people. No shuttle buses to take people back into town.

I was at the Oasis gig in 96 and can't remember any such problems (however as regards the drink I was too young so I wasn't allowed)
    Pairc Ui Chaoimh is a totally unsuitable venue for concerts due to it being outdated and the location doesn't help.
    Not surprised there hasn't been a concert there since the Oasis one, I assume there won't be one there for a long time again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

the exit was a joke. we got stuck having to walk over old iron poles with nettles etc

I think they were lucky with the type of crowd that was at the gig that there was no incident at the exit. imagine if it was a sat gig opened since 3 with a younger crowd drinking all day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

The location is absolutely stunning but the stadium's very run down and a bit of a mess.

A new stadium is very urgently needed to replace it.

It was looking clapped out in 1996 and not much has changed since those Oasis and Prodigy gigs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

lukin wrote: »
    A lot of criticism on the peoplesrepublicofcork forum as regards the organisation (or lack of it to be more precise).
    • Massive queues for the bars; took ages to get a drink (queues were not stewarded properly either)
    • The men's toilets closed an hour before the end of the gig

Surprised to see the men's loo's closed at the end, so out to the porto-loo's.

As regards the drink queue's, there was no notice that vouchers had to be purchased beforehand. And the voucher van should have been further away from the drink queue. Too many people getting vouchers and then passing them to mates at the front of the drink queue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

lukin wrote: »
    • Massive queues for the bars; took ages to get a drink (queues were not stewarded properly either) - The ques are to be expected really, it is a concert after all, stewarding could well e an issue I seen a few statuses about people skipping and line hopping freely.
    • The men's toilets closed an hour before the end of the gig. - That would be a stupid decision to make if true.
    • No lighting on the way out; people stumbling around in the dark. - I think only the Marina, heading away from the stadium and back towards Blackrock Village is unlit, the rest of the area has lamp posts up so that shouldnt have been a problem.
    • Main exit was blocked (incredible if true). - heard this, very serious issue if true.
    • Traffic going down roads that were thronged by people. No shuttle buses to take people back into town. - Some people parked in the surronding Blackrock/Mahon/Ballinetemple/Ballinlough area so that was always going to happen, even people walking back to town was going to force thousands on to the roads, the buses was always going to be an issue as you pointed out with all the people it would have been impossible for transport to go to and from the venue without incident.
    I was at the Oasis gig in 96 and can't remember any such problems (however as regards the drink I was too young so I wasn't allowed)
    Pairc Ui Chaoimh is a totally unsuitable venue for concerts due to it being outdated and the location doesn't help.
    Not surprised there hasn't been a concert there since the Oasis one, I assume there won't be one there for a long time again.

I think the venue as it is, is spointless for concerts, out of the way and out dated, massively. The weather and the boss made the gig what it was, not the facilities, that could have ruined a perfectly good evening, at least the majority enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭mossie

GavRedKing wrote: »
    I think the venue as it is, is spointless for concerts, out of the way and out dated, massively. The weather and the boss made the gig what it was, not the facilities, that could have ruined a perfectly good evening, at least the majority enjoyed it.

It definitely need improved access and improved lighting on the roads leading to the stadium as well as the planned upgrade of the stadium.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭S Barrett

As a person who is Health and Safety qualified last night was a joke. They had one gate open and the bones of 40,000+ people trying to exit through that gate. It was a disaster waiting to happen and luckily, as previously mentioned, the concert goers were a mature audience so there was no pushing or shoving. I mentioned it to one Garda and he said that it was a fu.k..g nightmare.

On the plus side I have to say that it was the best gig I was ever at. Rock on Bruce.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Zardoz

S Barrett wrote: »
    I mentioned it to one Garda and he said that it was a fu.k..g nightmare.

The gardai werent much use,they were just standing around at the end when 30,000 people tried to get through one gate and there was another gate open 200 yards away and hardly anyone using it.
    One guy with a mega phone would have been sufficient to at least split the traffic.

No floodlights in a ground in this day and age is ludicrous ,the stage crew were dismantling the stage using torches and headlamps !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

I exited under the uncovered stand. Was that the only exit for the whole stadium?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

just watched dancing in the dark from last night...the women that were dancing and playing the guitars at the end with bruce, hard to make out their faces but l swear they were queing with me in limerick and l was around with them in the concert too :O :O if its them lm delighted for them...they go to all his concerts here...so lucky

just watched dancing in the dark from last night...the women that were playing the guitars at the end, hard to make out their faces but l swear they were queing with me in limerick and l was around with them in the concert too :O :O if its them lm delighted for them...they go to all his concerts here...so lucky
    Were they Irish ?

Zardoz wrote: »
    Were they Irish ?

the ones lm thinking yes...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,245 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

A few of them didn't look Irish that were on stage with him. The girl with the blue dress that danced with Jake was welsh I think and the 3 ladies that played the guitar with him looked foreign

leahyl wrote: »
    A few of them didn't look Irish that were on stage with him. The girl with the blue dress that danced with Jake was welsh I think and the 3 ladies that played the guitar with him looked foreign
    I guessed as much :(

• Advertisement

leahyl wrote: »

the one with the short black hair is the one l recognise...very tanned & skinny..think she asked the other girls to come up? lm dying to know if it was them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

If you've concerns about the health and safety it would be worth raising them with the HSA.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Awesome gig. Had a great time. He's just such an entertainer. Great fun.

The bar was a disgrace though. Massive queues which led to half the crowd not bothering to get a drink (myself included) and the other half getting 4-8 pints a go and just binge drinking (mind you there was little to no trouble from the crowd from what I saw). A friend had to queue 20 minutes for the vouchers and another 40 for the drinks. Shambles.

The gates thing is another joke. There was a crazy amount of people going through that gate. Lucky the crowd was chilled out and not pushy.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,125 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Awesome gig, the Boss was great as was the atmosphere and the people, great craic and banter between everyone

Was the lights not working in parts of the Park as when we were leaving it was really dark

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Was the lights not working in parts of the Park as when we were leaving it was really dark
    It doesnt have any lights !

The stage crew were taking the stage down using torches and headlights.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 85,125 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

It doesnt have any lights !

The stage crew were taking the stage down using torches and headlights.:o

:P

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭thejuggler

For me I think there were too many lesser known songs at the expense of his memorable hits such as

Cover Me, The River, 57 channels and nothing on, Brilliant Disguise, radio nowhere, Streets of Philadelphia, Working on the highway,
    I'm on fire, I'm goin down, Hungry Heart, Glory Days

I appreciate it wasn't billed as a greatest hits tour but I think people should expect to hear the hits when they go to a concert.

Many music stars are a bit self indulgent in this regard.

thejuggler wrote: »
    For me I think there were too many lesser known songs at the expense of his memorable hits such as

Cover Me, The River, 57 channels and nothing on, Brilliant Disguise, radio nowhere, Streets of Philadelphia, Working on the highway,
    I'm on fire, I'm goin down, Hungry Heart, Glory Days

I appreciate it wasn't billed as a greatest hits tour but I think people should expect to hear the hits when they go to a concert.

Many music stars are a bit self indulgent in this regard.

The problem with this is that Bruce is well aware that many people attend more than one show and if he does a Greatest Hits set every night that's all they get to hear so he tries to vary it as much as possible.

mossie wrote: »
    The problem with this is that Bruce is well aware that many people attend more than one show and if he does a Greatest Hits set every night that's all they get to hear so he tries to vary it as much as possible.

What percentage of people attend more than one concert do u think and what percentage of people last night were casual fans ?

I'd say 80% of people in Cork would have been casual fans ,he has never played the city before and alot of people were going as it was a day out .
    Under those circumstances a more greatest hits style setlist would have been better .

He also played 4 cover songs ,one twice ,which seems a waste considering his back catalogue.

• Advertisement

What percentage of people attend more than one concert do u think and what percentage of people last night were casual fans ?

I'd say 80% of people in Cork would have been casual fans ,he has never played the city before and alot of people were going as it was a day out .
    Under those circumstances a more greatest hits style setlist would have been better .

He also played 4 cover songs ,one twice ,which seems a waste considering his back catalogue.

That may well be, but you could say the same for any of his shows. The simple fact is that is how he does it otherwise it would be the same set all the time. I was disappointed he did "This Little Light" twice in both Cork and Limerick, but otherwise was delighted he changed the set so much. It's always that way when he does shows close together in time and proximity.

Advertisement