Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Full scope of CCNA?

Options
  • 04-07-2013 1:23pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I've registered to sit the CCNA exam in mid-September based on what I thought was the complete course content as covered by the INE training videos (http://www.ine.com/all-access-pass/training/playlist/ccna-routing-switching-exam-course).

However, I've been doing sample questions the last few days and there's so much stuff that is not covered anywhere in the above that I'm beginning to panic. For example on this site I can't answer a single question on the first two pages. Is all this Novell/IPX stuff likely to come up in the exam?

At this stage I'm thinking of cancelling and re-sitting next year, albeit with the new, expanded curriculum.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Exam is changing in Sept anyway, so you'd be best of studying material for the new exam anyway

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Crosáidí wrote: »
    Exam is changing in Sept anyway, so you'd be best of studying material for the new exam anyway
    Is 12th September to late for the current exam? I need to find out what exactly is going to be on the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/exams/list/ccna_composite.html#~Topics

Above blueprint for what will be on the exam.
    You will need more than videos to pass believe me, get yourself some ccna books on amazon and start reading and labing! Not impossible to pass before said date but better get your skates on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

This thread has a details of a boards study group. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056917543 It's quiet at the moment but with the change of syllabus coming in less than 3 months, it'll heat up.

Check out the books from Cisco Press, Wendell Odom authors two great books for the CCNA (ICND1 + ICND2) which I've found to be great. The videos you've linked to will not be enough to pass but will certainly assist you.

I think I'll cancel. Too much pressure and uncertainty for the sum involved.

I should really not just have taken their word for it... :(
    The class will not only fully prepare you for the latest 640-822 ICND1 (CCENT), 640-816 ICND2, and 640-802 CCNA exams, but it will also expand your understanding of core technologies that are essential to know for beginning or advancing your career with today's networks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

The sample questions you linked to are way out of date. I did my CCNA almost 10 years ago and I don't remember getting any Novell protocol questions even then.

You have two months left until your exam - that's loads of time. Most places will let you reschedule as little as 24 hours before the exam anyway.

INE are the shiz-nit, I'm using their material for my CCIE studies.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I've no idea where that practice site gets its questions from, they put that set up in 2012 going off archive.org but if you search for some of the questions, the exact same questions turn up on other sites.

A lot of the dodgier looking practice test sites are dodgy, either recycled material from other places or people attempting to regurgitate the actual questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭biZrb

I found CCNA: Cisco Certified Network Associate Study Guide (640-802): Exam 640-802 by Todd Lammle really good when doing my CCNA. Lots of practice question in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Scrummage

I found this site very good http://www.routeralley.com/ra/guides.html

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭paul9mm

Hi
    The deadline for the final 802 CCNA exam, according to Cisco is Sept.30, 2013:
    http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/exams/list/ccna_composite.html

What sample questions are you using as what you mention does not match up with Cisco's approved syllabus.
    The new CCNA exam is more IPv6 focused but it has a lot of the older course content included.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭neonman

I've registered to sit the CCNA exam in mid-September based on what I thought was the complete course content as covered by the INE training videos (http://www.ine.com/all-access-pass/training/playlist/ccna-routing-switching-exam-course).

However, I've been doing sample questions the last few days and there's so much stuff that is not covered anywhere in the above that I'm beginning to panic. For example on this site I can't answer a single question on the first two pages. Is all this Novell/IPX stuff likely to come up in the exam?

At this stage I'm thinking of cancelling and re-sitting next year, albeit with the new, expanded curriculum.

Don't panic just yet. That site you are using looks very old to me. IGRP isn't supported anymore It was replaced by EIGRP years ago and you will not get any questions on IGRP or on IPX etc. . I would recommend looking at this site . It is more up to date with what is covered.

If you've put in the time studying for the current CCNA exam I would go ahead with the exam OR split it in two and do ICND1 and then ICND2 less pressure.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

Anyone know about the Pearson VUE vouchers for Cisco exams? Does it make the exams cheaper, or do they have to be bought in bulk?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

Anyone know about the Pearson VUE vouchers for Cisco exams? Does it make the exams cheaper, or do they have to be bought in bulk?

Same price. I did icnd1 in june it was 135.
    Booked icnd2 for 3 weeks time , same price. It's pretty standard I think

• Registered Users Posts: 28 NotTheMessiah

Quick questions about the CCNA...

When we are doing the labs can we use the tab to complete the commands and can we use short versions like en for enable?

Also can we use the cisco IOS help (?)?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Quick questions about the CCNA...

When we are doing the labs can we use the tab to complete the commands and can we use short versions like en for enable?

Also can we use the cisco IOS help (?)?

Tab? No and that cost me first time around.

My first question was a lab (ACL) my commands were rejected and panic set in. I eventually skipped the question missing out on the ~100 points.

Help is there but limited if I remember correctly.

The help command in the exam is exactly as you would expect it to be if you were logged in to a switch/router.

However, they disable certain commands for specific labs so that you are required to obtain the information another way.

and most annoyingly , you cant mark a question and come back to it at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

horgan_p wrote: »
    and most annoyingly , you cant mark a question and come back to it at the end.

Yup as I said earlier this cost me the exam last time around.

I spent around 10 minutes on that first question but eventually (worrying about time) I had to skip on. When I had time to calm down the remaining two sims went very well.

I was kicking myself over that silly mistake. Live and learn I guess..

Thanks for the info. Doing the exam next week so hope it runs smooth.

I'm so used to using tab too but I suppose with the help it wont be so bad.

I heard that about not been able to go back on questions. I guess its because maybe some future questions could give you a hint on some of the past questions so Cisco don't want you going back to change your original answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

Here's a tip: stay away from the Tab key when you're studying for an exam. Type the commands out entirely so you get used to it.

• Advertisement

Just a quick update on this.....I passed!! Woohoo!! :D

Anyhow with the labs I was able to use tab only sometimes. Like when I typed en(TAB) enable would come up. But when I was doing the access list I typed access list 100 per(TAB) and permit would not come up.

The IOS help worked fine which is a help but you would be better off knowing the commands well before doing the exam.

I'm up for the second exam in 3 weeks. Booked the week off in the run up for a final cram.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Scrummage

Just a quick update on this.....I passed!! Woohoo!! :D

Anyhow with the labs I was able to use tab only sometimes. Like when I typed en(TAB) enable would come up. But when I was doing the access list I typed access list 100 per(TAB) and permit would not come up.

The IOS help worked fine which is a help but you would be better off knowing the commands well before doing the exam.

I am doing mine tomorrow fingers crossed.

Scrummage wrote: »
    I am doing mine tomorrow fingers crossed.

Good luck with it.

Another thing I would say is dont hang about on one question too long. The exam is 90 minutes and I think I had about 5 minutes to spare so time could be tight. Although I did spend about 8 minutes on my first question which was subnetting and I was in a bit of a panic.

I was unfortunate in one of my CCENT attempts to get landed with a sim for my first question, really threw me off my game. It's always nice to have a couple of multiple choice to ease you in to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,099 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

Ive finally made up my mind to do the new CCNA course and exam. Ive taken the existing exam a couple of years ago and failed, but kept up the practical side at work. Just need to source some self study material for the new course now.

Ive finally made up my mind to do the new CCNA course and exam. Ive taken the existing exam a couple of years ago and failed, but kept up the practical side at work. Just need to source some self study material for the new course now.

Same here. Let us know if you find something good quality

Same here. Let us know if you find something good quality

For sure. There also a CCNA group on Google. Ill send you through the link. Im hoping they have info on the new course.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

For sure. There also a CCNA group on Google. Ill send you through the link. Im hoping they have info on the new course.
    Would there be any point in me starting to study the CCNA now, as opposed to waiting? Or would the first couple of chapters be the same?

/edit
    Kinetic^ wrote: »
    Great resource for a lot of certifications.

http://www.techexams.net/forums/
    Great site, esp this thread. I'll go for the 3rd party Cisco book, as I remember Cisco books having VERY bad spelling mistakes & coding mistakes, so going to give them a wide berth (unless someone has found that Cisco habe actually been checking their sh|it?).

I don't have any experience in networking, so I'm going to go for the two-exam route by taking ICND1 (CCENT) and then ICND2 (CCNA: Routers and Switches).

Hopefully Todd Lammle's book will come out soon, so that I can buy it. May get the physical book, as books are usually easier on the eye than the monitor.

• Advertisement

the_syco wrote: »
    Would there be any point in me starting to study the CCNA now, as opposed to waiting? Or would the first couple of chapters be the same?

/edit

Great site, esp this thread. I'll go for the 3rd party Cisco book, as I remember Cisco books having VERY bad spelling mistakes & coding mistakes, so going to give them a wide berth (unless someone has found that Cisco habe actually been checking their sh|it?).

I don't have any experience in networking, so I'm going to go for the two-exam route by taking ICND1 (CCENT) and then ICND2 (CCNA: Routers and Switches).

Hopefully Todd Lammle's book will come out soon, so that I can buy it. May get the physical book, as books are usually easier on the eye than the monitor.

His stuff is fantastic. I got the CBT Nuggets for the now older version of the CCNA and found the videos brilliant. Ill definitely be getting this book.

Ill be starting to study pretty much straight away and will be using the Todd Lammle stuff mainly.

Advertisement