Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Catch records of the Owenmore River in County Kerry... From 1989 - 1993

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭danbrosnan

Mr Bumble wrote: »
    I fished it during the time mentioned and it was remarkable. First time i stood on the bridge their was a 100 sea trout and a half dozen salmon in off the tide.

Very sad you dont see this anymore...

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Mr Bumble

danbrosnan wrote: »
    The man you mentioned was called the priest... I think he used to stay in the green acres caravan park and give all the fish he caught to the residents... He was from Belfast and he taught me all there is to know about trotting worms for sea trout... came to the river for years and stopped when my father left... I met Martin Macguinness and Jack Charlton on that river fishing when i was a young fella, the prove is in the catch records, the river was full of fish...

The reality is that the estuary was free of nets, what people have to understand is to deal with these people you have to fight fire with fire thats all the understand... this might sound incredible to some people but you need to break the law to break these people cause the law on there side not on the side of the salmon..

I was there when Jack was there too.....it was around the time the whole system was up for sale........fished the white lake last year and had sea trout to 4lb.....fantastic place

I was there when Jack was there too.....it was around the time the whole system was up for sale........fished the white lake last year and had sea trout to 4lb.....fantastic place

What a river for sea trout.. that whole area has good sea trout fishing all the way along the dingle peninsula....

have boat on currane so do most of my fishing in that neck of the woods....don't know the rest of the area too well but i have fished the stream you cross on the way to Cloghane. Think it's called Scairt na Mbó. I've seen very (very) large salmon in it up in the hills....bit of a hike but worth it when you get to the deep pools....i've only fished Adoon once or twice and didn't do well but I'm told if ya get it on the right day it's impressive....big run of grilse piling up at the moment....next rain will produce some serious fishing

have boat on currane so do most of my fishing in that neck of the woods....don't know the rest of the area too well but i have fished the stream you cross on the way to Cloghane. Think it's called Scairt na Mbó. I've seen very (very) large salmon in it up in the hills....bit of a hike but worth it when you get to the deep pools....i've only fished Adoon once or twice and didn't do well but I'm told if ya get it on the right day it's impressive....big run of grilse piling up at the moment....next rain will produce some serious fishing

I know the 'scairt na bo' river, I call it mochanabo because thats the name of the valley, it has become a serious spot for downhill mountain biking... I had one salmon out of it last year and seen another fish seriously about 15 pound... What a fish, very such a small river.... There is a pool at the end of the road in the valley that holds the fish, unfortunately it is well known by poachers from town, but they can't kill them all so a few survive every year the reproduce... Thank god...

The adoon river must the scorid river, it runs out of loch an dun, my French friends had a sea trout of five pounds out of there but you really need to get the rivers in spate and from August on are the best months, as you obviously know, yourself, I have the worms dug and I will be flat out all through fishing all them rivers, I will let you know how I get on...

• Advertisement

Adoon's the second stream okay.....i've seen bigger than 15....maybe 25+ in mochananbo ....some say it has the biggest fish in Kerry which would be amazing if true given the size of it.....i know the pool. It's very deep and i'm told it's not that easy to poach. The big fish are still there I'm told. I got a grilse there in 2007 but was broken a half dozen times on the same day....started on 4lb and finally got one to stick with 12lb line on.....put me in my place!!!!

Adoon's the second stream okay.....i've seen bigger than 15....maybe 25+ in mochananbo ....some say it has the biggest fish in Kerry which would be amazing if true given the size of it.....i know the pool. It's very deep and i'm told it's not that easy to poach. The big fish are still there I'm told. I got a grilse there in 2007 but was broken a half dozen times on the same day....started on 4lb and finally got one to stick with 12lb line on.....put me in my place!!!!

If I could ask, what month? And was it after the spate or on spate... I only had luck there last year, for me the rest of the river is not great for fishing, only that pool, the banks go away under so maybe that's why it's hard to poach... Thank god.. There be noting left for us...

Late July and after a thunderstorm......rose and fell very quickly, two or three hours in it and I was lucky.......was told to fish it at that time over the owenmore so the man who told me knew his stuff....saw one huge fish and he wasn't surprised when i mentioned it. Fished the Laune a few days later and said it to a lad i know there. He had a similar experience in the early 80s so they're hangin in there.
    Where do you reckon has the biggest in Kerry? There was a 28lb fish taken in currane a few years back tho no photo and it went back. I came across a huge hen fish dead in the blackwater in the same year which was 25+. I remember seeing 30lb fish taken in the nets down by the cashen when I was a kid and I've also heard that Glencar has big things tho i've never had much luck there.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭yoloc

I remember seeing 30lb fish taken in the nets down by the cashen when I was a kid and I've also heard that Glencar has big things tho i've never had much luck there.

Are you sure it just didnt look like a 30+lber when you were a kid. The reason why i ask is that salmon mesh aloud back then was 4.5inch and only caught upto 25lb salmon. You would need 6inch mesh for the 30+ salmon and that was banned back then, still is i think

yoloc wrote: »
    Are you sure it just didnt look like a 30+lber when you were a kid. The reason why i ask is that salmon mesh aloud back then was 4.5inch and only caught upto 25lb salmon. You would need 6inch mesh for the 30+ salmon and that was banned back then, still is i think

I'd say the boys in Cashen that time were completely law abiding and put back the fish... And used the proper mesh...

• Advertisement

I'd say the boys in Cashen that time were completely law abiding and put back the fish... And used the proper mesh...

A well known angler from the feale told me they using herring nets at the cashen at night... Anybody with a bit of interest check out the the nomad of the seas... They a group of scientists from Ireland studying sea trout, they caught tiny lehane sea trout with net marks... Sure the feale is a example of how a river can suffer from complete non management, catch and release up to may, and very low catch numbers all the way through, the feale should be one of the best rivers in Europe never mind ireland...

You might be right.......kids eyes see things big......we went down to Ballyb for July every year tho and I was used to seeing salmon.....remember one year when there were so many that they were piling them ten deep and twenty high in banks along the estuary. They were towing currachs out through the fast water so they could set nets off the beach ........was there last year for a day and the only lads pulling nets were in their 60s and older.....sad in one way but the Feale is having a woeful year so far for rods even without the nets on.
    I have a photo somewhere of two men after a day on the blackwater with a clothes rack of salmon and two of them are 30+ or I'm a frog....I think it's from the 50s.

Ya but i do believe commercial netting for salmon should be completely banned.. its worth too much financially from a tourism point of view..

Owenmore river now catch and release… doesn't not have sufficient stock for angling, a sad day for the dingle peninsula…

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭dazza161989

Owenmore river now catch and release… doesn't not have sufficient stock for angling, a sad day for the dingle peninsula…

all year??? Very sad day dan but often these measures are neccesary..... Hopefully we will follow the trend of scotland and wales with regards to salmon and seatrout, and introduce the correct protocols and measures needed to restore our rivers former glory.

all year??? Very sad day dan but often these measures are neccesary..... Hopefully we will follow the trend of scotland and wales with regards to salmon and seatrout, and introduce the correct protocols and measures needed to restore our rivers former glory.

You got to stop the salmon being killed all over our coast day and night by illegal nets. Your own river the feale is being fleeced night and day around the cashen. Catch and Release is a joke when you have paying anglers from all over europe coming here to fish for the salmon and our own authorities can't stop the poaching thats widespread. Its all a con and now we have highly educated people who have no experience out in the field telling us what to do. There is four places on the dingle peninsula where there is nets all year around, Brandon, Lispole, Aughcalsa and Ananscual. Any body thats out fishing and knows the land, will tell you this. All the rivers in them localities are catch and release and they wondering why that is.

You got to stop the salmon being killed all over our coast day and night by illegal nets. Your own river the feale is being fleeced night and day around the cashen. Catch and Release is a joke when you have paying anglers from all over europe coming here to fish for the salmon and our own authorities can't stop the poaching thats widespread. Its all a con and now we have highly educated people who have no experience out in the field telling us what to do. There is four places on the dingle peninsula where there is nets all year around, Brandon, Lispole, Aughcalsa and Ananscual. Any body thats out fishing and knows the land, will tell you this. All the rivers in them localities are catch and release and they wondering why that is.

i live dwn at the cashen myself...... Its not near as bad as it used to be but of course there are still the usual suspects!!! Do you fish anascaul often??

i live dwn at the cashen myself...... Its not near as bad as it used to be but of course there are still the usual suspects!!! Do you fish anascaul often??

I started competition shore angling last year and that has taken over to be honest, i have fished anascual once last year caught a lovely fish in the lake he was either a big sea trout or small salmon, lost him on the bank due to barbless hooks which you have to use now fishing there.. It makes it almost impossible to land fish.. i fished the river twice and caught noting but the place has small big fish in it…

I fished mochnoboo or the glenahoo river twice again hooked a beauty of a salmon but again lost him, and i fished the laune once and again guess what lost him too…. so i was out five times and lost three fish.. disaster.. People wouldn't believe you but i have bought a head camera this year to upload videos onto youtube etc…

Anascual a beautiful river really is, i remember seeing a pool above the second bridge in august five years full with sea trout, there had to be close to 300 sea trout in the one pool… Un believable stuff…

I started competition shore angling last year and that has taken over to be honest, i have fished anascual once last year caught a lovely fish in the lake he was either a big sea trout or small salmon, lost him on the bank due to barbless hooks which you have to use now fishing there.. It makes it almost impossible to land fish.. i fished the river twice and caught noting but the place has small big fish in it…

I fished mochnoboo or the glenahoo river twice again hooked a beauty of a salmon but again lost him, and i fished the laune once and again guess what lost him too…. so i was out five times and lost three fish.. disaster.. People wouldn't believe you but i have bought a head camera this year to upload videos onto youtube etc…

Anascual a beautiful river really is, i remember seeing a pool above the second bridge in august five years full with sea trout, there had to be close to 300 sea trout in the one pool… Un believable stuff…

ya it can take a while to get used to barbless hooks but there grand as long as you keep pressure/tension.

ya it can take a while to get used to barbless hooks but there grand as long as you keep pressure/tension.

your dead right, hard to land the fish and not retrieve on tension… it won't happen this season…

• Advertisement

your dead right, hard to land the fish and not retrieve on tension… it won't happen this season…

Most of the flys i tie now are on barbless hooks because pretty much everywhere is barbless now.... Feale is barbless until may 30th. I dont really even notice a difference anymore to b honest.

A small tip for you when using barbless hooks........Use light tackle, its less prone to pulling the hook out. For brown trout i use a 2/3 weight 7 foot rod , for sea trout a 5/6 weight and for salmon an 8 weight.

I'm envious. The Cashen mouth is one of my favourite spots on the planet but i gave up on the feale a long time ago and don't go to ballyb as often as i'd like anymore.
    It's bad all over now dan. Nets found in currane this year. Off Burnt Island early in the morning. Found anchor rope myself in a bay....big blue thing plainly visible from a couple of hundred yards away.
    Had a very bad year until Sept/Oct and finished very well with trout 5lb +. Some say it was the weather, some say fish didn't come. Haven't heard much about the spawning yet.

I'm envious. The Cashen mouth is one of my favourite spots on the planet but i gave up on the feale a long time ago and don't go to ballyb as often as i'd like anymore.
    It's bad all over now dan. Nets found in currane this year. Off Burnt Island early in the morning. Found anchor rope myself in a bay....big blue thing plainly visible from a couple of hundred yards away.
    Had a very bad year until Sept/Oct and finished very well with trout 5lb +. Some say it was the weather, some say fish didn't come. Haven't heard much about the spawning yet.

hi bumble i actually live near the bridge you probably know it. I find the feale ok to be honest.

THIS WILL EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY THE FEALE HAS ITS PROBLEMS…

REMEMBER NOW THE RIVER MOY IN MAYO AS FAR AS I KNOW HAS NO COMMERCIAL NETTING IN ITS ESTUARY OR RIVER SYSTEM..

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=789831177698691&l=a6cf9d0a68

Im surprised the feale and the laune even produced that many salmon to be harvested.

I personally wouldnt highlight the feale tho as in my opinion the problem is nationwide.

I spoke to a couple of anglers recently down the beach and they told me that the dingle peninsula is rife with illegal netting.....is this correct?

Im surprised the feale and the laune even produced that many salmon to be harvested.

I personally wouldnt highlight the feale tho as in my opinion the problem is nationwide.

I spoke to a couple of anglers recently down the beach and they told me that the dingle peninsula is rife with illegal netting.....is this correct?

Yes your right its nationwide, the dingle peninsula full of nets, anybody with a boat can see them scattered everywhere along the coast.. also the rivers are getting hammered at night..

The reason why i am highlighting the feale is because the fishery board wanted to close it because the numbers of salmon returning was so low, instead its c&r up to march… why grant licenses in the cashen to net wild salmon when there so little coming back doesn't make sense…

Yes your right its nationwide, the dingle peninsula full of nets, anybody with a boat can see them scattered everywhere along the coast.. also the rivers are getting hammered at night..

The reason why i am highlighting the feale is because the fishery board wanted to close it because the numbers of salmon returning was so low, instead its c&r up to march… why grant licenses in the cashen to net wild salmon when there so little coming back doesn't make sense…

Hi dan, its catch and release until mid may now.

I agree completely with your point on the cashen netting, in my humble opinion the feale could do with being rod only for at least 5 years.

Enforcement is the issue....there's very little. Where is all the fish going? Who's eating it?
    An awful lot can be done by a few if they get the backing. The people who do it are generally known but it is not taken seriously by the law.
    I presume overtime has been cut in the IFI and the protection of rivers less intense. Presumably the cuts have hit the fisheries protection off shore?? There has never been enough of either anyway.
    I may be wrong but I reckon the stretch from Castlemaine out to Valentia and then looping around into Tralee Bay is the most poached bit of the sea in Ireland. Definitely, if you lump in everything from Waterville back to Kenmare. Did you here the story Dan about the time there was a drowning out off Sneem and when they dragged the channel looking for the body they hit 68 nets.

Enforcement is the issue....there's very little. Where is all the fish going? Who's eating it?
    An awful lot can be done by a few if they get the backing. The people who do it are generally known but it is not taken seriously by the law.
    I presume overtime has been cut in the IFI and the protection of rivers less intense. Presumably the cuts have hit the fisheries protection off shore?? There has never been enough of either anyway.
    I may be wrong but I reckon the stretch from Castlemaine out to Valentia and then looping around into Tralee Bay is the most poached bit of the sea in Ireland. Definitely, if you lump in everything from Waterville back to Kenmare. Did you here the story Dan about the time there was a drowning out off Sneem and when they dragged the channel looking for the body they hit 68 nets.

Never hard that story but please enlighten me! Your right I would back that statement... Kerry is prob the most poached place in the country..

• Advertisement

Never hard that story but please enlighten me! Your right I would back that statement... Kerry is prob the most poached place in the country..

I would probably have to agree with that also dan......... If that story is true it is apaulling!!!

Advertisement