Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Catch records of the Owenmore River in County Kerry... From 1989 - 1993

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Snowc

Free of nets are you joking ? poaching was rife back then and was accepted as a means of fishing by most

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭danbrosnan

Please can you elaborate on what you are saying.. its a very expansive statement... are you saying people on the catch records were poachers...

danbrosnan wrote: »
    Please can you elaborate on what you are saying.. its a very expansive statement... are you saying people on the catch records were poachers...

i will of course pal.you said free of nets which i offered my opinion on .

Snowc wrote: »

Exactly your opinion, which doesn't stand for much because its invalid information from unknown person behind a made up name... I have uploaded information on a river which is absolutely true, I have the photos, videos, newspaper clippings, researched documents, court proceedings, etc.... To prove it.... In 1989 there was a total of 26 nets seized in the cloghane estuary... Do you want to see the photos or the court proceedings? If so I will gladly pm them to you.... I am coming from a completely unbiased point of view... All this information is being included in a YouTube documentary... Now the Brandon area is full of nets again and has been for many years... Maybe you and me have got off on the wrong foot.... I understand that people know that the place has being plagued with illegal salmon fishing for centuries... But there was a period of time when the place was actually free of nets and the prove is in the catch records... I have 1000,s of photos to prove it... Please stop wastin my time please, I'm 27 and I have learned not to listen to opinions but to go out and find things out myself face to face with people....

And by the way I am not your pal....

• Advertisement

Waffle

If you want to go around with your head in the clouds thats your choice,i am doing with this thread

If you want to go around with your head in the clouds thats your choice,i am doing with this thread

Good man...

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Toshi101

FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT!

Toshi101 wrote: »
    FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT!

The pen is mighter than the sword lol.... I think snowie knows there beaten.... Lol...

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭yoloc

All this information is being included in a YouTube documentary...

Is the documentary uploaded yet, if not when will it be. Would be really interested in viewing it. Would this poaching documentary be just for this river or all over the country

• Advertisement

yoloc wrote: »
    Is the documentary uploaded yet, if not when will it be. Would be really interested in viewing it. Would this poaching documentary be just for this river or all over the country

Check out www.youtube.com/plightofthesalmon

Some snippets there but the full documentary gonna be near the end of 2013...

Check out www.youtube.com/plightofthesalmon

Some snippets there but the full documentary gonna be near the end of 2013...

Cant wait to watch this. I know a local poacher who has poached the moy and few other rivers that branch of it and hes been doing this for 60 years. He doesnt get out much now because he's in his 80's and even some water keeper's know what he's at but turn a blind eye because he's well known and only takes one fish every few months. He would be perfect for an interview for your documentary just as long as his identity was kept hidden. Would he be willing to be in it is another matter though.

I also know a few other young guys but they rip the arse out of it taking 5 and 6 fish a time. I've reported them to the local water keeper's because IMO that just aint on. Back in the 70s and 80s i had no problem with people poaching but now i would because of the decrease in the salmon numbers here in ireland.

Cant wait to watch this. I know a local poacher who has poached the moy and few other rivers that branch of it and hes been doing this for 60 years. He doesnt get out much now because he's in his 80's and even some water keeper's know what he's at but turn a blind eye because he's well known and only takes one fish every few months. He would be perfect for an interview for your documentary just as long as his identity was kept hidden. Would he be willing to be in it is another matter though.

I also know a few other young guys but they rip the arse out of it taking 5 and 6 fish a time. I've reported them to the local water keeper's because IMO that just aint on. Back in the 70s and 80s i had no problem with people poaching but now i would because of the decrease in the salmon numbers here in ireland.

There be no point interviewing anyone with there identity hidden, I am swapped under with stuff to try and get done, this is a story of a fishery officer and his battle against poachers and with no help from the state.... It will tell the bad parts and the good parts... Nobody perfect and my dad isn't perfect he made more mistakes then most men.... What people have to understand is that as a family we were burnt outta house and home twice , our vans and cars were burnt on a regular occurrence....all for Atlantic salmon... I feel compelled to tell the story and will have no regrets even tho I know there will be consequences...

There be no point interviewing anyone with there identity hidden, I am swapped under with stuff to try and get done, this is a story of a fishery officer and his battle against poachers and with no help from the state.... It will tell the bad parts and the good parts... Nobody perfect and my dad isn't perfect he made more mistakes then most men.... What people have to understand is that as a family we were burnt outta house and home twice , our vans and cars were burnt on a regular occurrence....all for Atlantic salmon... I feel compelled to tell the story and will have no regrets even tho I know there will be consequences...

Jesus is it that bad, getting your house burnt,cars,vans etc.. I think i'd let the salmon get poached when it got that bad. Infact i think id join the poachers lol. TBH with you here, i think your silly putting you and your families life at risk over salmon. This poaching will go on even if you still try and highlight it as much as possible.

Jesus is it that bad, getting your house burnt,cars,vans etc.. I think i'd let the salmon get poached when it got that bad. Infact i think id join the poachers lol. TBH with you here, i think your silly putting you and your families life at risk over salmon. This poaching will go on even if you still try and highlight it as much as possible.

Did you watch the videos?? on the link i gave you??

Would you consider people that work for greenpeace, silly???

Or people that try and save critically endangered wales in the southern oceans, silly people??

Would you consider people that work for greenpeace, silly???

Or people that try and save critically endangered wales in the southern oceans, silly people??

They dont have madmen burning down their house/cars etc.. and making their lives hell. And if you have kids, i strongly believe you need to change your attitude because one day it might come back to haunt you all that stuff with trying to save a few salmon. I would never put me or my kids lives at risk for something like this, NEVER!!

They dont have madmen burning down their house/cars etc.. and making their lives hell. And if you have kids, i strongly believe you need to change your attitude because one day it might come back to haunt you all that stuff with trying to save a few salmon. I would never put me or my kids lives at risk for something like this, NEVER!!

A few salmon........!!!!!!!!!

Every man dies, not every man really lives

• Advertisement

A few salmon........!!!!!!!!!

Every man dies, not every man really lives

No salmon is worth the price of mine or my kids lives, not 1 or 1 million of them!

Are you saying you feel alive because of what you do ?

No salmon is worth the price of mine or my kids lives, not 1 or 1 million of them!

I am only writing a story my friend, i am not a fishery officer, and i would never be one, i in the middle of my studies, one thing i learned from my whole experience as a child with all the madness going on was that if you want to make a difference educate yourself to the hilt, and get to the top because you cant make a difference without being at the top... fishery officers will never make a difference on the ground cause the fighting a losing battle, they under resourced and the people they catch get left off with a 200 hundred euro fine and go back at it again two days later...

I feel alive every day whats that got to do with anything??

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭thereitisgone

just looked at that video, it could be quite interesting but the newspaper text changes so fast in some places it cant be read and that music is def not for your target audience, but the story looks interesting, just simple pictures of the newspaper clippings might be more informative.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Mr Bumble

Well worth doing Dan....keep at it. Know a few fisheries men in your area and know how bad it can get. I know the Owenmore well and the man looking after it now has his work cut out. They've been taking fish that pass by Brandon on their way to all the rivers in the south west and south for years and nobody seems to be able to deal with them. Very well organised, violent and ruthless men.
    I fished it during the time mentioned and it was remarkable. First time i stood on the bridge their was a 100 sea trout and a half dozen salmon in off the tide. There was a padre who used to sit on a deck chair on the rock in the middle of the pool above the bridge with a box of worms and a small spinning rod. Used to catch outrageous numbers of sea trout and the odd salmon without getting out of his seat.

Mr Bumble wrote: »
    There was a padre who used to sit on a deck chair on the rock in the middle of the pool above the bridge with a box of worms and a small spinning rod. Used to catch outrageous numbers of sea trout and the odd salmon without getting out of his seat.

Whats wrong with that ?

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Mr Bumble

Did I even suggest there was something wrong with that? No. I didn't. It was simply a story to illustrate how prolific a river it can be.
    As it happens, said padre had to stop when the water was made fly only.
    If you want an opinion about the rights and wrongs of what he was doing, it was clearly wrong as far as the law of the land, the river owner and the bailiff were concerned and if you can't see anything wrong with killing 20 sea trout and a couple of salmon in one session and repeating that over a month every summer, you're no angler.
    The proverbial dog with a hammer up it's arse can clean out a small pool on a river this size with a box of worms.It's just poaching by another name.
    From your responses so far in this thread, you have no real understanding of the subject matter at all and seem to want a row.
    Your argument that you wouldn't put any of your children at risk for "one salmon" is just nonsense. The events relayed by Dan are real and are still happening. Should we all just roll over and let them at it with the nets and gaffs? Wouldn't want you in a trench beside me

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

lot of touchy people in this thread.

Mr Bumble wrote: »
    Well worth doing Dan....keep at it. Know a few fisheries men in your area and know how bad it can get. I know the Owenmore well and the man looking after it now has his work cut out. They've been taking fish that pass by Brandon on their way to all the rivers in the south west and south for years and nobody seems to be able to deal with them. Very well organised, violent and ruthless men.
    I fished it during the time mentioned and it was remarkable. First time i stood on the bridge their was a 100 sea trout and a half dozen salmon in off the tide. There was a padre who used to sit on a deck chair on the rock in the middle of the pool above the bridge with a box of worms and a small spinning rod. Used to catch outrageous numbers of sea trout and the odd salmon without getting out of his seat.

The man you mentioned was called the priest... I think he used to stay in the green acres caravan park and give all the fish he caught to the residents... He was from Belfast and he taught me all there is to know about trotting worms for sea trout... came to the river for years and stopped when my father left... I met Martin Macguinness and Jack Charlton on that river fishing when i was a young fella, the prove is in the catch records, the river was full of fish...

The reality is that the estuary was free of nets, what people have to understand is to deal with these people you have to fight fire with fire thats all the understand... this might sound incredible to some people but you need to break the law to break these people cause the law on there side not on the side of the salmon..

• Advertisement

just looked at that video, it could be quite interesting but the newspaper text changes so fast in some places it cant be read and that music is def not for your target audience, but the story looks interesting, just simple pictures of the newspaper clippings might be more informative.

Thanks for your help... They were thrown up and the main piece will be a lot better...

Advertisement