Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone else sick of ad hominin attacks in Irish politics?

Options
  • 03-07-2013 4:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭

Every time a question is put to Fine gael or Labour by Sinn Fein, Fianna Fail or an idependent TD the response is "Blah blah blah you would know a lot about bombs, banks, taxes, ect. Enda seems particualrly prone to this tactic and I haven't heard him answer a question properly for some time now.

When someone asks a valid question I wan't the points of the questions debated and not the personal history of the person asking the question.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,285 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Every time a question is put to Fine gael or Labour by Sinn Fein, Fianna Fail or an idependent TD the response is "Blah blah blah you would know a lot about bombs, banks, taxes, ect. Enda seems particualrly prone to this tactic and I haven't heard him answer a question properly for some time now.

When someone asks a valid question I wan't the points of the questions debated and not the personal history of the person asking the question.

Enda uses this tactic because without his advisors prompting him he ofton finds himself unable to answer the hard questions.

It was no accident that he kept a somewhat low profile during the election.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Enda uses this tactic because without his advisors prompting him he ofton finds himself unable to answer the hard questions.

It was no accident that he kept a somewhat low profile during the election camgaign.

Good point. Now that you mention it he responded to the invitation to the Vincent Browne show by declaring "not wanting anything to do with him".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭ILikeFriday

If it results in a complete failure to answer the question, it's a bit pathetic. But I don't really mind a few "reminders" of who caused a problem and whether they're in any position to talk about it thrown in in the course of answering a question. Short memories is our biggest problem here and it's a legitimate political tactic to force people to remember imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

...theres nothing that can be done about it. I do however, object to such rants being dropped from repeat showings of the days proceedings later in the evening, as it paints those who indulge in them in far too good a light.

If it results in a complete failure to answer the question, it's a bit pathetic. But I don't really mind a few "reminders" of who caused a problem and whether they're in any position to talk about it thrown in in the course of answering a question. Short memories is our biggest problem here and it's a legitimate political tactic to force people to remember imo.

Anyone who's elected has every right to ask a question in the Dail. It's not for Enda to decide.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Not every time though. It gets pathetic quick.

Anyone who's elected has every right to ask a question in the Dail. It's not for Enda to decide.

He's not controlling whether or not they ask the quesiton, he's just using his right to expression to question their credibility.

He's not controlling whether or not they ask the quesiton, he's just using his right to expression to question their credibility.

Which have nothing to do with the points raised often. It sounds quite childish.

Which have nothing to do with the points raised often. It sounds quite childish.

It depends. If someone is asking him about the banking enquiry (made up example), and he says something to the effect that they never cared about standards in banking when they were in power. That's a legitimate point even though it's not really directly relevant to the banking enquiry. If the opposition are trying to present themselves as people who care about regulation of banking to score political points, it is fair for him to question whether that is true based on their history.

Whether he does it too often or what takes it too far to the point of what some might see as childish is his political judgement to make. The opinion polls and ultimately election polls will help him decide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

An internet forum trying to control free speech?

If Enda Kenny stands up in the Dail every day and reminds us of the murderers in Sinn Fein and the economy-wreckers in FF, then he is doing the country a favour. If the people get tired of it, they will vote him out in the next election.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

Godge wrote: »
    If Enda Kenny stands up in the Dail every day and reminds us of the murderers in Sinn Fein and the economy-wreckers in FF, then he is doing the country a favour. If the people get tired of it, they will vote him out in the next election.
    If the people didn't want those parties in the house, they wouldn't have voted them back in. Clearly, the voters have elected these representatives for a valid parliamentary purpose.

I don't mind anyone raising the troubles or the financial crisis as part of a legit, substantive reply to a criticism, but when it's totally off the wall and irrelevant, it just undermines your own public perception.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

I don't agree that much of what the Taoiseach says is ad hominem in the true sense - attacking the characteristics of the person without addressing the substance of the argument. He normally addresses the substance, but throws in a few criticisms of how the opposition handled the same situation in the past. That's criticising their handling of a situation as opposed to saying "you're stupid" or something personally insulting. It's normally very justified and relevant if he's explaining the challenges of fixing a problem, to go through how the problem came about.

In relation to your first paragraph, it is up to the opposition to make those points if they want to. In relation to your second point, the opposition is quite free to take shots at the governments backgrounds if they want to. It isn't out of fairness that they don't. It is because half of them would be open to the same criticism and they would also be insulting the electorate who voted for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Where on the triangle, I wonder, would we find the majority of debate in Ireland...?

20-56d55469c14c59731f800b940fba613c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 28,674 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Kenny simply hasn't got the wit or ability for the job he holds.. it's that simple really! He's a primary school teacher who has been in politics since 1975 - instituionalised doesn't even begin to describe it!

This is why he shies away from any sort of debate or situation where he might have to respond without the aid of a speech writer. Look at how he handled himself when challenged by an off-duty Garda in Ashbourne during the recent by-election, or his response to Vincent Browne. Throwing petty insults in response to legitimate questions only further serves to undermine him and his competence.

Our "leader" is far more concerned with earning gold stars for being the "European of the year" than representing the people or country who put him there. Just watch some of the footage of him at the G8 summit, or his declaring himself to be "truly, madly, deeply European" yesterday in Strasbourg! :rolleyes:

Embarrassment to the country is what he is and a contender for worst Taoiseach we've ever had is more like it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

I don't agree that much of what the Taoiseach says is ad hominem in the true sense - attacking the characteristics of the person without addressing the substance of the argument. He normally addresses the substance, but throws in a few criticisms of how the opposition handled the same situation in the past. That's criticising their handling of a situation as opposed to saying "you're stupid" or something personally insulting. It's normally very justified and relevant if he's explaining the challenges of fixing a problem, to go through how the problem came about.
    Yes, and it would be good if the govt. did the same to SF - i.e., if they criticise household charges, ask them do they have any plans for eliminating council taxes in Northern Ireland? Rather than going, ah sure ye're all a load of Provo terrorists, what would Jean McConville and Jerry McCabe think of the household charge, ha?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

Joan Burton pulled this rubbish the other day too. I was never a supporter of this government and have very little time for Kenny or Gilmore but I honestly thought more of Joan Burton. She was asked a question by Mary Lou MacDonald on what the government's plans are regarding investigating the Anglo thing and she didn't answer at all, just said something along the lines of "Sure you and your colleagues would know all about banks hah?" while nodding her head in a silly way, not answering the question at all. I thought it was a shambolic response and incredibly frustrating, even more frustrating for a constituent of MacDonald who voted her into office and wants these very serious questions answered.

Joan Burton pulled this rubbish the other day too. I was never a supporter of this government and have very little time for Kenny or Gilmore but I honestly thought more of Joan Burton. She was asked a question by Mary Lou MacDonald on what the government's plans are regarding investigating the Anglo thing and she didn't answer at all, just said something along the lines of "Sure you and your colleagues would know all about banks hah?" while nodding her head in a silly way, not answering the question at all. I thought it was a shambolic response and incredibly frustrating, even more frustrating for a constituent of MacDonald who voted her into office and wants these very serious questions answered.

That's exactly the comment that prompted me to start the thread. The country's in recession, people are p1ssed off with the banks and we want answers. Ad hominem attacks to sidestep the answer are not good enough. If the point is important I don't give a monkeys about the background of the person asking the question. This is about now and the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

You rang?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056836208

Its been going on for far too long, and the electorate I'd wager, is getting tired. Blaming FF does not appear to hold the same weight it once did. Time to wise up and engage in proper debate me thinks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

Why not do both.
    "I think its rich Mr FF that you would pose a question on banking regulation to me, but to answer your question the legislation will impose an x% levy designed to encourage spending on xyz"

But instead what we get "I'm not going to answer that Q from you, you ruined the country".

It is disgusting. A TD asks you a question, you answer it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,660 ✭✭✭✭maccored

goose2005 wrote: »
    Yes, and it would be good if the govt. did the same to SF - i.e., if they criticise household charges, ask them do they have any plans for eliminating council taxes in Northern Ireland? Rather than going, ah sure ye're all a load of Provo terrorists, what would Jean McConville and Jerry McCabe think of the household charge, ha?

isnt Sammy Wilson the finance minister in the north? Bit pointless asking SF surely?

http://www.northernireland.gov.uk/news-dfp-250213-assembly-approves-2013-14

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Red Kev

Kenny is paid to do a job, part of that is to answer questions, this he fails repeatedly to do. He can have a dig at SF, FF or whoever else, but he should also answer the question. He is, to be frank one of the most incapable leaders a western european nation has thrown up since WWII.

Worse again is Sean Barrett, the Cean Comhairle who accepts the fact that kenny never answers the question with a smirk and has in the past two and a half years rarely stepped in to get Kenny to answer a question properly.

There seems to be some perception here that TDs have some sort of "right" to respectful answers in the Dail. They don't. Freedom of expression is even more robust in there than outside it. TDs, opposition or goverment, are free to ask and answer questions any way they want to. They will decide this politically. They will look silly if they don't answer certain questions properly. They know the public will enjoy watching others not being taken seriously.

It is up to the electorate to vote for people who have enough credibility and command enough respect to be effective in their job. You wouldn't hire an employee or a professional to represent you if you felt that due to their history they didn't have any credibility. You can't vote for someone like that and go crying that they're not getting enough respect. There is no right to respect per se. The right is to freedom of expression. To the argument that it is disrespectful of the government towards the people who voted for the opposition, well obviously the government like any political party play to the people who tend to vote for them not those who vote for the opposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,674 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

There seems to be some perception here that TDs have some sort of "right" to respectful answers in the Dail. They don't. Freedom of expression is even more robust in there than outside it. TDs, opposition or goverment, are free to ask and answer questions any way they want to. They will decide this politically. They will look silly if they don't answer certain questions properly. They know the public will enjoy watching others not being taken seriously.

I'd have to disagree. As a citizen and voter I expect my elected representatives to take the responsibility that comes with their position seriously and act accordingly at ALL times - not take verbal pot-shots at each other and behave like kids in a playground as is so often the case when you watch a "debate"

But you're right, the responsibility for this does ultimately also lie with the electorate to demand better of the people they choose to vote for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

If Enda Kenny stands up in the Dail every day and reminds us of the murderers in Sinn Fein and the economy-wreckers in FF, then he is doing the country a favour. WHEN the people get tired of it, they will vote him out in the next election.

FYP

It is up to the electorate to vote for people who have enough credibility and command enough respect to be effective in their job. You wouldn't hire an employee or a professional to represent you if you felt that due to their history they didn't have any credibility. You can't vote for someone like that and go crying that they're not getting enough respect. There is no right to respect per se. The right is to freedom of expression. To the argument that it is disrespectful of the government towards the people who voted for the opposition, well obviously the government like any political party play to the people who tend to vote for them not those who vote for the opposition.

On boards the slogan is "attack the post and not the poster". It's there for good reason. What sort of discussion would there be if ad hominem attacks were allowed?

Now if an internet forum couldn't function with ad hominem attacks how could a parliment function in the biggest crisis the country has faced yet?

On boards the slogan is "attack the post and not the poster". It's there for good reason. What sort of discussion would there be if ad hominem attacks were allowed?

Now if an internet forum couldn't function with ad hominem attacks how could a parliment function in the biggest crisis the country has faced yet?

There is no freedom of speech here. it is a private website and anyone can be banned, any post can be deleted. I can see the merit in keeping things civil on an internet forum, but I want more robust freedom of expression in the Dail.

I don't get the second point. Curtailing what goes into the public domain is detrimental to solving the crisis.

As I've pointed out before, I don't believe much of what goes in is truly ad hominem.

Two ways to solve it if it is: (i) vote for politicians who use a different style (ii) vote for politicians who aren't so suceptible to these attacks.

There is no freedom of speech here. it is a private website and anyone can be banned, any post can be deleted. I can see the merit in keeping things civil on an internet forum, but I want more robust freedom of expression in the Dail.

I don't get the second point. Curtailing what goes into the public domain is detrimental to solving the crisis.

As I've pointed out before, I don't believe much of what goes in is truly ad hominem.

Two ways to solve it if it is: (i) vote for politicians who use a different style (ii) vote for politicians who aren't so suceptible to these attacks.

I'm not talking about the "right" to ad hominem attacks I'm asking people are they sick of ad hominem attacks and whether they have merit in politics.

I'm not talking about the "right" to ad hominem attacks I'm asking people are they sick of ad hominem attacks and whether they have merit in politics.

I see keeping public memory alive as to past actions of people who the public might vote for in the future as merit. If I go for a job, I would be rejected for a lot less than what some of them have done.

The market will decide whether they go too far or not.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

There seems to be some perception here that TDs have some sort of "right" to respectful answers in the Dail. They don't. Freedom of expression is even more robust in there than outside it.
    Nobody here seems to be protesting that the opposition's "rights" were denied.

Most people appear to be making the point that the citizens' have a legitimate expectation of hearing questions raised by our representatives and be appropriately answered by our representatives.

"Freedom of expression" has to be balanced with the right of the people to a functional democracy, although I believe you are the one who raised the 'rights' issue.

Advertisement