Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What games do you play again and again??

Options
  • 03-07-2013 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭

What games do you go back to again and again and again.

Its something I've been thinkin about a bit lately as I'm considering buyin more 360 games that I've missed over the years and a new 360 before they go off the market say next year or whenever as a back up for when my current one breaks (again)

Then I was thinkin is there any point considering the main reason I havent played a lot of these games is because I keep going back to games I love playing.

These arent necessarily the best games out there but I play them most regularly because I just love playing them.

Lylat Wars on the N64 - I just can not get enough of this game. I'm addicted worse now than I was when it was released in the 90's!!

Tekken Tag Tournament on the PS2 - I didnt have this on release. I had Tekken 3 for PS1 though and was addicted to it. Now I'm addicted to TTT. Tried Tekken 5 last night but it was a bit fast for my liking. Might try it again if I get bored of TTT but right now I cant see that happening.

Halo 4 - I love a bit of online shooting. Not COD. Cant stand that, mainly as I'm rubbish at it but I've always loved Halo and Halo 4 is no exception. All online play free for all.

Outside of these 3 games that I play most of at the moment I play the odd game of crazy taxi, Gunbird, PES2013, Sonic Transformed Racing (what a great game btw) but I just think its funny considering the sheer quantity of games I have choice of I still come back to certain ones time and time again.

Worst part of this is I know theres loads I havent played and should be trying. For example I started Zelda OOT there a few weeks back but I'd say I've only sank about 5 hours into so far. I played TTT last for over an hour which I could have played Zelda for but I was just in the mood for Tekken!

Anyway long rant over... What do you play time and time again??

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

For me I always go back to Zelda LTTP every now and again. Mario 123 and world are timeless, my kids love playing them. Mario Kart on the SNES, Star wars trilogy on the SNES Too.

Arcade wise, I love playing Sunsetriders, Super Pang, Pacman, Donkey Kong and Space Invaders. Those are my go to games, along with a rally game i cant remember the name of right now, you look down on the car and arrows pointing left etc come up on screen. Its not a complicated game by any means, but i just love the flow of it.

I love Batman Caped Crusader on the C64, since i was a kid.

My Time Crisis cab gets played A LOT too. Love that game, the recoil of the gun cant be beaten!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

keithgeo wrote: »
    alone with a rally game i cant remember the name of right now, you look down on the car and arrows pointing left etc come up on screen. Its not a complicated game by any means, but i just love the flow of it

World Rally, it's a gem.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

EnterNow wrote: »
    World Rally, it's a gem.

Yep thats it! Love that game..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

keithgeo wrote: »
    For me I always go back to Zelda LTTP every now and again. Mario 123 and world are timeless, my kids love playing them. Mario Kart on the SNES, Star wars trilogy on the SNES Too.

Arcade wise, I love playing Sunsetriders, Super Pang, Pacman, Donkey Kong and Space Invaders. Those are my go to games, alone with a rally game i cant remember the name of right now, you look down on the car and arrows pointing left etc come up on screen. Its not a complicated game by any means, but i just love the flow of it.

I love Batman Caped Crusader on the C64, since i was a kid.

My Time Crisis cab gets played A LOT too. Love that game, the recoil of the gun cant be beaten!

Ah Time Crisis. I love that game but with no room currently for a CRT my copies of TC and guns are left to gather dust unfortunately. The TC cab must be amazing. I'm jeaous.

Like your other picks too. Great to hear your kids are playing the classics. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Half-Life 2, play thru every year or so.

usually have a crack at Raiden everytime I start up the Mame pc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,544 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Too many to list when it comes to consoles. Most of them would fall within 16 and 32 bit gens. ALTTP would be the one game I try to play once a year. It's just perfect.

For arcade games, the Metal Slug series, Blazing Star, Shock Troopers 1&2 - basically all the Neo Geo shooty things. I absolutely love them. Play them all the time.

Raiden, Raiden 2, been playing them on a regular basis ever since The Raiden Project came out on the PSOne.

Ibara joined the ranks since I picked that one up, have been playing it every day for about three weeks. Can't see it coming out of the machine any time soon!!

I do love lightgun shooters but the space requirements for guns is a pain. Have Dreamcast light guns and two Megadrive Justifiers in the sitting room at all times for HOTD2 and Lethal Enforcers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Half-Life 2, play thru every year or so.

usually have a crack at Raiden everytime I start up the Mame pc.

Half life to was what I used to play in college of the network with my mates. Such craic.

Would like to get my hands on Raiden alright. Everyone on here seems to rave about it so it must be good.
    o1s1n wrote: »
    Too many to list when it comes to consoles. Most of them would fall within 16 and 32 bit gens. ALTTP would be the one game I try to play once a year. It's just perfect.

For arcade games, the Metal Slug series, Blazing Star, Shock Troopers 1&2 - basically all the Neo Geo shooty things. I absolutely love them. Play them all the time.

Raiden, Raiden 2, been playing them on a regular basis ever since The Raiden Project came out on the PSOne.

Ibara joined the ranks since I picked that one up, have been playing it every day for about three weeks. Can't see it coming out of the machine any time soon!!

I do love lightgun shooters but the space requirements for guns is a pain. Have Dreamcast light guns and two Megadrive Justifiers in the sitting room at all times for HOTD2 and Lethal Enforcers.

I'm going to get the metal slug anthology I reckon for PS2. Its close to the top of my list actually especially since I got the namco arcade stick. I have shock troopers on the psp neo geo collection. I must get it for PS2 to use the arcade stick. Deadly game.

Cool to see people are still playing light gun games. I feel they've been lost on the "youth of today" which is a shame. So many good times playing them as a kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

In terms of arcade games I've always dipped back into the Mortal Kombat games. I have now have the pcbs for arcade cab so no need for second rate conversions.

Apart from that I'm most likely to dig out the Amiga. Loved this machine growing up.

Cannon Fodder
    Mega lo mania
    Superfrog
    Pushover

Awesome sauce!

Master of the Universe

Ooooh, Metal Slug Anthology with a Namco PS1 stick would be perfect :)

Lightgun games are one of the big casualties to the demise of the CRT. :(

I know there are some modern ones which use Wii like motion controls, but they're really not the same (plus I've always found the response time on them lacking)

Always remember the day I got Time Crisis with the Gcon for my Birthday. Played the machine non stop in the arcade, so to have it at home just blew my mind completely.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Oh I just can't help replaying the classics,
    GoldenAxe
    Streets of Rage
    Crazy Taxi with its awesome soundtrack
    Maybe an Alpaca dating sim or two...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

o1s1n wrote: »
    Ooooh, Metal Slug Anthology with a Namco PS1 stick would be perfect :)

Lightgun games are one of the big casualties to the demise of the CRT. :(

I know there are some modern ones which use Wii like motion controls, but they're really not the same (plus I've always found the response time on them lacking)

Always remember the day I got Time Crisis with the Gcon for my Birthday. Played the machine non stop in the arcade, so to have it at home just blew my mind completely.

Did you put a controller on the floor to step on as a pedal?
    It was pretty cool alright.

I always seem to drift back to ( honest this time!
    Tetris on the GB
    Starfox on the Snes
    Gleylancer on the MD
    Need for Speed on the 3DO
    GTAIV on the 360 (I will finish it before V is released!)
    Diddy Kong Racing on the N64

Master of the Universe

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Did you put a controller on the floor to step on as a pedal?
    It was pretty cool alright.

I did indeed :) Was impossible to do with shoes on so socks only. I pity whoever used that controller after me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,539 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Double Dash gets a lot replaying with my siblings to the extent that we are frickin awesome at it.
    Fzero on snes gets a whirl every now and then as its a classic.

We replay a lot of crap from the cube, Gladius for example.

At least no one here is obsessed with one game to the exclusion of all others.
    Like a certain game about digging, falling boulders, diamonds.....
    Was it Repton? ;)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

I'm forever playing...

Arcade: Ghoul's 'N Ghosts, Donkey Kong and The New Zealand Story.

Amiga: Speedball 2, Frontier:Elite and Supremacy

SNES: Zelda LTTP and Mario World.

At least no one said "Hide the sausage"

I should probably report myself now...

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Frolick

SNES: Kirby All Stars, Killer Instinct
    GC: F-Zero GX (favorite racer of all time), SoulCalibur2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Guyanachronism

Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen (1993, SNES) amazingly intricate real time, fantasy RPG strategy. There are numerous ways of finishing the game, you can decide to be good or evil as well the massive freedom in organising your armies. I never got into other fantasy RPG strategy games such as Final Fantasy Tactics but Orgre Battle:MBQ is fantastic.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

BANNED!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

Arcade: Paperboy, Rastan, Rolling Thunder and Robocop

PS1: Tomb raider

C64: Delta, Sanxion, Last Ninja 1+2

Delta and Sanxion, along with Uridium they proved the C64 to be a most awesome shmup machine.
    Are these available on consoles anywhere?
    I wonder if they could be flashed onto my C64 plug'n play?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

FF7 for me. Play it through at least once a year. And I still get freaked out in the Shinra building when your following the blood trail! The music there is great

Master of the Universe

That's one of my favourite parts of the game. Such a great build up with the blood trail and the music.

Delta and Sanxion, along with Uridium they proved the C64 to be a most awesome shmup machine.
    Are these available on consoles anywhere?
    I wonder if they could be flashed onto my C64 plug'n play?

Salamander and Nemesis were also quite good.
    C64 plug and play?
    Is it any use?

sham69 wrote: »
    Salamander and Nemesis were also quite good.
    C64 plug and play?
    Is it any use?

I have Salamander and Nemesis/Gradius and Gradius II, all on the Famicom and very awesome.
    The C64 Plug'n Play? I've never plugged and played it!
    I know a load of Hewson Consultants games are on it, Uridium and the like.
    But apparently they are readily moddable, with keyboard and sd/disk drive mods well documented.
    I'd love to install my favourite games to it, so I could play them without waiting for a tape drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Arcade games: Wonderboy in Monster Land, there's just something about that game that I absolutely love.
    Computer: Recently started playing GODS again, great old Bitmap Brothers game. But actually finding it harder now than I did then... :o
    Console: Legend of Zelda Link's Awakening DX and Majora's Mask get played pretty regularly!

Arcade games: Wonderboy in Monster Land, there's just something about that game that I absolutely love.
    Computer: Recently started playing GODS again, great old Bitmap Brothers game. But actually finding it harder now than I did then... :o
    Console: Legend of Zelda Link's Awakening DX and Majora's Mask get played pretty regularly!

Forgot about wonderboy in monster land but you reminded me, I am just playing it now, its addictive alright...

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Dale Parish

C&C Renegade... online...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,773 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Tekken 4 on PS2 get a regular play

Love busting through Revenge or Shinobi III on Mega Drive aswell

Advertisement