Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Welsh Lions: Brian O'Driscoll dropped from the 23 for 3rd Test [MOD NOTE POST 1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

I guess it's sit back and see time now. We'll see if Gatland was right.

However going on past encounters with Gatland's Wales vs Australia I wouldn't be too confident.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,171 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

make no mistake about it, Australia will be laughing at this decision.

just like I'm sure the rest of the rugby world is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Hippo

Benny Cake wrote: »
    Everything about this stinks to the high heavens, it will make shouting for the Lions Saturday morning a difficult task.

This, in spades.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,197 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Gambas wrote: »
    No, his legacy will either read '4 lions tours, 8 tests but he never won a series' or '4 lions tours 8 tests and 1 series win in Australia in 2013'. The pub chat will fade quickly.

Exactly. Do people recall that Keith Wood only played 2 tests in 1997? Nope. Or that Eric Miller only appeared off the bench? Nope. They're test winning Lions and they always will be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

It's the logic behind the decision that makes no sense.

Roberts was always going to come into the team, that was a given, so the choice was between Davies and O'Driscoll.

Gatland says Davies was picked because of his partnership with Roberts; that's a stunning claim given that Gatland was actually on the Lions tour in 2009 when the O'Driscoll-Roberts partnership was so effective.

A terrible call and I have to say I'll have conflicted emotions watching this game on Saturday.

[and Heaslip has been equally shafted btw]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Mudlan

Going in to battle without a general!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Disappointed for BOD but he hasn't been great (not that Davies has) Feel for Murray. He has been the best SH on tour and deserved a start. Personally prefer Faletau to Heaslip so agree with that.

Think of not for injury Tuilagi would have been starting by this stage. Can see him making big impact in the last 20. Hopefully Sexton plays well and carries them to the win

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

I'm shocked and gutted....what exactly is Gatland thinking?

What a way for BOD's amazing career to end.

Has Gatland given his reasons yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

I'm in shock. Just cannot believe it. I reckon Australia cannot believe their luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

He's still got one more year in Ireland. Thank feck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭twinytwo

he said something along the lions of his picked the best team available.... ie he was talking out his ass again.

the aussies will love it. Davies couldnt tackle a stationary object.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Hook is on Today FM now, should be fun !

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭tbm

Profiler wrote: »
    sweet zombie Jesus what a omnishambles of a test squad that is!

best line I've ever read on boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,956 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

7lab6.png

i don't like this attitude of "BOD hasn't played well".

in attack, yes, we've been toothless. but that's because the ball has generally been shíte, and it's not only BOD that hasn't really threatened.

our 2 tries in the 1st Test - a North solo effort, and a Sexton-inspired taking advantage of a forward playing as a centre for Cuthbert try. and even for that, BOD made a crucial, clever play off the ball.

it's not like the team have been rattling in scores in the Tests. plus BOD is exemplary in defence. something Davies cannot say.

it's truly baffling.

the ONLY explanation is that Gatland is going solely down the Bish Bash Bosh route. nothing else. there is no other reason for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

.ak wrote: »
    He's still got one more year in Ireland. Thank feck.

That's true thank god! I should have said what a way for his amazing LIONS career to end.
    twinytwo wrote: »
    he said something along the lions of his picked the best team available.... ie he was talking out his ass again.

the aussies will love it. Davies couldnt tackle a stationary object.

If that were true he wouldn't have dropped O'Driscoll....that makes no sense :confused:

the consensus continues to be that the selection is baffling.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/2013/jul/03/warren-gatland-brian-odriscoll-lions?CMP=twt_gu

decent article, and it makes the extremely good point that BOD and POC were the experienced leaders on this party, along with the rookie leader Warburton. having none of them on the field on Saturday is a bit mental.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 392 ✭✭JagerScout

• Registered Users Posts: 9,595 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

images_zps05e41db2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Quint2010 wrote: »
    Can't believe I just saw Gatland say on Sky News that "leadership is not that important".

It just beggars belief. I thought the Australians might sneak it on Saturday. Now they are a shoo-in.

Hahahahahahaha....

Wait, what!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Garseys

Oh well the test series goes to Australia. We'll hark back to 1997 for another 4 years.

I know O'Driscoll hasn't been spectacular in attack but what he brings in Defence and Leadership could not be underestimated.

Well done Gats.

EDIT: I'll happily eat humble pie if the lions win on Saturday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Sniff, wipes tear from eye.....

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Daz_

Wales and some friends v Australia.. How can people get passionate about the Lions? I don't care about it now , especially with BOD dropped.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

OZ now 1 point favourites...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

#justiceforbod

• Registered Users Posts: 15,544 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

This thread shows the pointlessness of the B&I Lions. Just because BOD has been dropped some people here want the 'team' to lose.

Either you are for the team or not, who is actually picked (and most on here are mainly upset because BOD is Irish and replaced by Welsh) but they are all Lions.

So basically 'aging player who has played a huge amount already gets dropped for another very capable player for a test the team needs to win'. Get over yourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Leroy42 wrote: »
    This thread shows the pointlessness of the B&I Lions. Just because BOD has been dropped some people here want the 'team' to lose.

Either you are for the team or not, who is actually picked (and most on here are mainly upset because BOD is Irish and replaced by Welsh) but they are all Lions.

So basically 'aging player who has played a huge amount already gets dropped for another very capable player for a test the team needs to win'. Get over yourselves.

So let me get this straight...you think the Lions is pointless but you want everyone to support them!?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 392 ✭✭JagerScout

1001478_549502835114656_1277314652_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭petebricquette

So basically 'aging player who has played a huge amount already gets dropped for a man whose defence is suspect and has looked terrible the last two tests for a test the team needs to win'. Get over yourselves.

FTFY.

• Advertisement

Has Tuiliagi been promoted ahead of Davies?

Advertisement