Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

We're back in recession

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

amber07 wrote: »
    funds should be available so that the christmas bonus can be given out again ,give the poorer people back a bit of good cheer and my friend didnt smoke or drink,not everyone that are unemployd are smoking and drinking,she couldnt cope anymore with her depression since this recession started,she felt she left her kids down because she could no longer support them the way she wanted to. not everyone thats unemployd wants it that way,it happened to them because of businesses folding.

The purpose of the dole is not to provide "good cheer". I never intimated that you're friend smoked or drank or that everyone on the dole does. Some (a lot) do I would guess. Did her committing suicide improve her kid's situation or let them down further?I am sure there were other underlying causes.

Providing additional welfare benefits is a disincentive to work. The recession won't last forever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 amber07

Why should it?

because every little child deserves a proper gift at christmas,more people can buy more fuel and food,i dont agree at all with social welfare cuts and childrens allowence cuts. why should the poorest of society pay so that the government can cut corners?,what those guys would have for 1 meal would feed a person on the dole for a few days,im on the side of the people whose voices arent heard

Uriel. wrote: »
    The purpose of the dole is not to provide "good cheer". I never intimated that you're friend smoked or drank or that everyone on the dole does. Some (a lot) do I would guess. Did her committing suicide improve her kid's situation or let them down further?I am sure there were other underlying causes.

Providing additional welfare benefits is a disincentive to work. The recession won't last forever.
    it was bills that crucified her, single mom, living on pittance ,theres only so much a person can take.her brother has the kids,theyre fine now,growing up,and i hope their lives will be better than their moms.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

MrGreenfun wrote: »
    i think this should be watched by everyone in ireland maybe then we will grow a backbone and stand up together as a nation and put the bankers in prison http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4Tace-tjHc&feature=youtu.be

This is the most hilarious things I've seen in months. "We are a people who are the ghosts which haunt themselves" ahahahaha *INVERTED SHOT FOR NO REASON*. Oh man this is such a good parody. Thomas Sheridan in association with Thomas Sheridan Arts. A film by Mark Higginbotham. Directed and Produced by Mark Higginbotham. Sandwiches supplied by Mark Higginbotham. *one hour of inarticulate ramblings*

My favourite though: "Note:This film contains creative raw audio and experimental visuals in order to engage with & stimulate both hemispheres of the brain"

Science!

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭blackbullet

I agree completely sorry to here about your friend they bring back the xmas bonus asusual theyll give out about the cost,a lot of folks dont chear at xmas to stress full.and anyone whos on welfare would like to have a job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,220 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Godge wrote: »
    Nobody will buy lottery tickets if they are just another tax to pay social welfare.

It is a nice idea for helping people but it just won't work.

Or the salaries of public sector workers, hospitals, bank recapitalisations etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,607 ✭✭✭creedp

noodler wrote: »
    Or the salaries of public sector workers, hospitals, bank recapitalisations etc.

I can only assume you mean that the taxpayer will avail of health, education, policing, road, rail, etc services but don't want to pay for it! Its one thing arguing that PS salaries are too high .. its another thing altogether to argue against paying PS salaries.

On the lotto issue, I might be in the minority but I consider the Euro lottery payout of €94m obsence in a Europe that is wrecked by austerity. While it is legally correct it is morally wrong in my view to be screwing the majority and at the same time handing over such an enormous sum of money to 1 person.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,220 ✭✭✭✭noodler

creedp wrote: »
    I can only assume you mean that the taxpayer will avail of health, education, policing, road, rail, etc services but don't want to pay for it! Its one thing arguing that PS salaries are too high .. its another thing altogether to argue against paying PS salaries.

???

Baffling post.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

GDP down.
    Unemployment/Under employment static.
    Emigration increasing.
    Mortgage arrears increasing.
    National debt increasing.

Depression might be a more accurate description than recession.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

It's gone on way, way too long to be called a 'recession' or a 'crisis'.

Depression is probably more accurate alright.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

noodler wrote: »

What has this got to do with the discussion?

The proposal was that lottery money should be used to provide more social welfare.

I suggested that people wouldn't buy lottery tickets if it was going to social welfare instead of prizes.

How you jump to public sector workers and banks from that I don't know (unless who have a fixation on those issues)?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

I think there needs to be a decent gap between take home minimum wage pay and dole. Otherwise why would anyone take minimum wage job and work a 40hr week?
    For those calling for wealth redistribution, please tell us how much of your income goes to the third world?

I agree completely sorry to here about your friend they bring back the xmas bonus asusual theyll give out about the cost,a lot of folks dont chear at xmas to stress full.and anyone whos on welfare would like to have a job.
    yes,thank you. tomorrow ill be raising the subject of adoption in ireland in the 1950s , more coverups there and ill bring it to light, rules and regulations ,corrupt,ive only started,time the truth was known,this is for me and every other child that was adopted in the 50ths.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Potatoeman wrote: »
    Otherwise why would anyone take minimum wage job and work a 40hr week?

For the potential to earn far more? Its a rare type of person that can't see beyond the minimum wage as the start of long term wages.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

because every little child deserves a proper gift at christmas,more people can buy more fuel and food,i dont agree at all with social welfare cuts and childrens allowence cuts. why should the poorest of society pay so that the government can cut corners?,what those guys would have for 1 meal would feed a person on the dole for a few days,im on the side of the people whose voices arent heard
    hang on, who told you they were the poorest of society? Anecdotally I know of 2 families who gace up work to go on the dole, because it was better money

• Registered Users Posts: 4,615 ✭✭✭maninasia

I got a shock last week when the same shopping trolley of food in Germany cost me half of what tescos charges in Dublin. If I do Lidl or Adli, it's half the cost of Ireland again.

I don't believe this is remotely accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

For the potential to earn far more? Its a rare type of person that can't see beyond the minimum wage as the start of long term wages.

If the person has some skill or training. Many minimum wage jobs have little chance to advance. My point was that it should be viable to work a minimum wage job and not just as a stepping stone.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 MrGreenfun

Zillah wrote: »
    This is the most hilarious things I've seen in months. "We are a people who are the ghosts which haunt themselves" ahahahaha *INVERTED SHOT FOR NO REASON*. Oh man this is such a good parody. Thomas Sheridan in association with Thomas Sheridan Arts. A film by Mark Higginbotham. Directed and Produced by Mark Higginbotham. Sandwiches supplied by Mark Higginbotham. *one hour of inarticulate ramblings*

My favourite though: "Note:This film contains creative raw audio and experimental visuals in order to engage with & stimulate both hemispheres of the brain"

Science!

who the **** are you to say what is right and wrong im just spreading the word because 2 thirds of ireland dont know whats really going on and the other third dont give a ****... and if you watch the documentaries that have literally started a movement... ie zeitgeist.... fair enough its about america but the same things are going on there as here... the only thing ireland is a lot smaller so the big boys (bankers and the like) should not be able to **** us all over and dissapear like in america they should be shot !!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭SyntonFenix

if you want to know how to live on the dole be prepared to live on potatos onions,gravy,bread,butter and beans,if you like a taste of meat for a sunday,spar dogfood is good baked for 20 mins covered with pastry.

Worlds+Smallest+Violin.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

to be abroad and see the difference in how people are still spending money makes me realise how much of a recession there is in Ireland

not enough people do not have disposable income in Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭okiss

I don't think we have been out of recession in the past 5 years.
    If you go shopping in any town in Ireland notice the number of empty shops along with the lack of new shopping bags people are carrying.
    Also look at the number of people waiting outside any dole office and the number of people shopping in Aldi/Lidi/Delz/Euro shops.
    There are very few jobs out there and most employers are using job bridge to get staff as cheap as possible. If you go from the dole to even working part time you have more money to spend. When people start spending the economy gets a boost which keeps people in work and time creates more jobs.

I have several friends looking for jobs at the moment. They are single and renting so they can move if required for work.
    I would also have friends who are working but are not spending as they are trying to pay off debts or build up savings as they don't know what tax increases, cuts or how secure there jobs are.

Also one person here said -Its a rare type of person that can't see beyond the minimum wage as the start of long term wages.
    At the moment wages have fallen in most sectors and a lot of people are earning some thing from min wage to €10/€11 per hour.
    Employers are not will to give pay increases and it is hard to get from a min wage job to a higher job at the moment.
    People earning min wage to €10/€11 an hour are now the new working poor they are earning to much to get any extra benefit and that is why couples on the dole can be better off when you take medical cards, back to school allowance ect in to consideration.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

Funny every second person says ''The country is ****e.d'' is it really true? I have noticed that lots of young people (including myself) are getting pissed off with this recession crap and depression is defo creeping in:mad: We just want to get working and get proper wages.

As for the dole being great money, When was the last time you went into a supermarket? The price of even the basics is sky high. I know loads of people on the dole and everyone of them are suffering financially.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭SyntonFenix

carzony wrote: »
    Funny every second person says ''The country is ****e.d'' is it really true? I have noticed that lots of young people (including myself) are getting pissed off with this recession crap and depression is defo creeping in:mad: We just want to get working and get proper wages.

How about posting a comment with a list of positive ideas and positive suggestions, to prevent you from "getting pissed off with this depression crap"?

If you're young, don't have anything going on here, then emigrate. Even give it a go for 6 months to a year.

Take responsibility for your own actions and well being.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

MrGreenfun wrote: »
    who the **** are you to say what is right and wrong im just spreading the word because 2 thirds of ireland dont know whats really going on and the other third dont give a ****... and if you watch the documentaries that have literally started a movement... ie zeitgeist.... fair enough its about america but the same things are going on there as here... the only thing ireland is a lot smaller so the big boys (bankers and the like) should not be able to **** us all over and dissapear like in america they should be shot !!!!!!!

I agree that the banking sector needs tighter regulation and there need to be criminal charges against many individuals involved in the bailout, but that movie is still terrible. So is Zeitgeist, though that at least is a bit more polished.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

If you're young, don't have anything going on here, then emigrate. Even give it a go for 6 months to a year.

Take responsibility for your own actions and well being.
    Big big world out there, lots of things to do and not much time.
    Not much money either but some things don't take a lot of cash.
    Take control of your life.

Worked abroad a few times, great eye opener.
    nice_guy80 wrote: »
    to be abroad and see the difference in how people are still spending money makes me realise how much of a recession there is in Ireland

not enough people do not have disposable income in Ireland
    But but I thought we all got rich by having a huge loan on a house? Debt = wealth right? It's crucial we inflate the housing prices to remove any competitiveness gains we have, just to help the banks and NAMA.
    I mean, $%& the country completely.

;)

Advertisement