Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

We're back in recession

Options
  • 28-06-2013 8:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

for some reason i dont think we were never out of the recession since it started 5 years ago.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭eric hoone

for some reason i dont think we were never out of the recession since it started 5 years ago.
    +1, anything else was just a jobless recovery anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

Were we out? I havent noticed anything??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/ireland/ireland-s-economy-lurches-back-into-recession-1.1444786
    In just three months, the volume of goods and services exports fell by 3.2 per cent. This reflects weak demand in export markets and raises questions about the extent to which the economy has regained competitiveness.

Domestic demand, a measure that excludes imports and exports, fell by 1.5 per cent, bring the domestic economy to a new post-crash low point.

This was driven by a sharp contraction in spending by consumers

I guess what makes it significance is the dip in the export economy, which has actually been doing quite well.

The domestic economy continues to contract which I personally don't find surprising, as long as our net incomes continue to contract due to taxation or cost of living increases.
    http://www.finfacts.ie/irishfinancenews/article_1026198.shtml
    Growth in 2012 was revised down from a previously reported 0.9% to a 0.2% rise in GDP.

In April, John FitzGerald of the ESRI published research which showed that GNP data has been polluted in recent years by big overseas companies moving their headquarters to Ireland.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 29 likeyouI

My view is that emigration is on the drop so the recession is on the increase

• Registered Users Posts: 33 MrGreenfun

i think this should be watched by everyone in ireland maybe then we will grow a backbone and stand up together as a nation and put the bankers in prison http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4Tace-tjHc&feature=youtu.be

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 817 ✭✭✭audman

MrGreenfun wrote: »
    i think this should be watched by everyone in ireland maybe then we will grow a backbone and stand up together as a nation and put the bankers in prison http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4Tace-tjHc&feature=youtu.be

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=koY6kXhQDQo&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DkoY6kXhQDQo

My two pence goes to this brave and honest soldier, we need an army of people like this to fight this war of recession against our enemies that are the politicians/governmental members of the country that we call ours, Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

"Driven by a sharp drop in consumer spending"
    Would the increase in taxes have much to do with this, I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dob74

It's time we call it what it is a DEPRESSION.

The sooner we face up to the fact.
    The sooner we can try and cut prices for consumers. Food, utilities still way to expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

MrGreenfun wrote: »

Thank you for posting this film. I admire anyone who stands up and goes again the sea of bulls**t that has flooded this country and many others.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭KindOfIrish

"We're back in recession"

Who cares! property prices are going up:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭beeno67

Dob74 wrote: »
    It's time we call it what it is a DEPRESSION.

The sooner we face up to the fact.
    The sooner we can try and cut prices for consumers. Food, utilities still way to expensive.
    How will calling it a depression make any difference?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 817 ✭✭✭audman

beeno67 wrote: »

I agree but it teases out the expression 'Recession Depression' which in my honest opinion is rather catchy!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

The regression to recession is depressin'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 amber07

beeno67 wrote: »

it is depression, suicide rate is way up. theres enough money in the lottery to pay off loans for people who are in need, the government need to cap the winnings at 1 million in any rollover,give the rest to mabs and let them help the people with paying off loans etc, talk and holding off creditors is not enough. people are dying,can anyone in the government please help

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

amber07 wrote: »
    it is depression, suicide rate is way up. theres enough money in the lottery to pay off loans for people who are in need, the government need to cap the winnings at 1 million in any rollover,give the rest to mabs and let them help the people with paying off loans etc, talk and holding off creditors is not enough. people are dying,can anyone in the government please help

Why should other people fund overspending and poor planning of individuals. Lottery funds are paid for by participants and they go back to (winning) participants, charity organisations, the lottery company and to the government (tax on purchases of tickets).

Why should sport charities, or disability charities etc.. lose out because someone overstretched themselves. Taxes already pay substantially to support these people in need.

Uriel. wrote: »
    Why should other people fund overspending and poor planning of individuals. Lottery funds are paid for by participants and they go back to (winning) participants, charity organisations, the lottery company and to the government (tax on purchases of tickets).

Why should sport charities, or disability charities etc.. lose out because someone overstretched themselves. Taxes already pay substantially to support these people in need.
    im saying the lottery is the peoples money,poor people spend on lottery tickets in the hope of winning some money,theres still plenty to go around for everyone if it was shared equally. thats whats wrong with the world its full of greed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

You won't see me buying a lottery ticket to go towards bailing others out for their mistakes.

"In need" is relative, the money would be better going to the homeless on the streets in Dublin and elsewhere in the world than going to pay for McMansions in the countryside.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

take responsibility for your own messes and stop trying to get people to bail you out.

sickening attiudes here

<mounts high horse , rides into sunset>

im saying the lottery is the peoples money,poor people spend on lottery tickets in the hope of winning some money,theres still plenty to go around for everyone if it was shared equally. thats whats wrong with the world its full of greed

poor people shouldn't be buying lottery tickets if they can't afford to live.

The "peoples money" as you call it, is available in the very generous social welfare supports.

The "peoples money" as you call it, is available in the very generous social welfare supports.
    u reckon?..what do people on the dole have left after they pay their bills?,they pay the same prices for stuff as everyone else,tax vat etc,they dont have discount cards .if you want to know how to live on the dole be prepared to live on potatos onions,gravy,bread,butter and beans,if you like a taste of meat for a sunday,spar dogfood is good baked for 20 mins covered with pastry.,not everyone is in a bad financial wat through their own fault,not everyone borrowed to keep up a posh front. so its ok to keep reducing the dole allowences is it,the poor always pay for others mistakes.

• Advertisement

u reckon?..what do people on the dole have left after they pay their bills?,they pay the same prices for stuff as everyone else,tax vat etc,they dont have discount cards .if you want to know how to live on the dole be prepared to live on potatos onions,gravy,bread,butter and beans,if you like a taste of meat for a sunday,spar dogfood is good baked for 20 mins covered with pastry.,not everyone is in a bad financial wat through their own fault,not everyone borrowed to keep up a posh front. so its ok to keep reducing the dole allowences is it,the poor always pay for others mistakes.

After they pay their basic bills (i.e. not including broadband, Sky etc..) and basic food they should have close to zero left. Maybe a little but to put by for clothing needs etc.. but if they have much more than that then the dole is too high.

When has the dole been reduced, and by how much? What about all of the other supports that are available on top of the weekly dole money? Life is tough on the dole no doubt it, but that's the way it is and I don't believe anyone is resorting to eating dog food, so calm the hysteria

what other supports?, i dont know anyone on the dole that has sky.and im not lying about the dog food either. theres no compassion for anyone in this country thats why its the way it is,selfishness and greed. the devil is alive and well and living in ireland.

what other supports?, i dont know anyone on the dole that has sky.and im not lying about the dog food either. theres no compassion for anyone in this country thats why its the way it is,selfishness and greed. the devil is alive and well and living in ireland.

Rent Supplement, Mortgage Interest Supplement, Fuel Allowance, Medical Card, Back to School Clothing and Footwear Allowance, Schoolbooks Allowance to name some.

There's plenty of compassion, it's just described as the difference between Gross and Net Pay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Nobody will buy lottery tickets if they are just another tax to pay social welfare.

It is a nice idea for helping people but it just won't work.

Rent Supplement, Mortgage Interest Supplement, Fuel Allowance, Medical Card, Back to School Clothing and Footwear Allowance, Schoolbooks Allowance to name some.

There's plenty of compassion, it's just described as the difference between Gross and Net Pay.
    ya?, go back to sleep,youre not in touch with reality at all,brush it all under the carpet like all the rest of this country and dont forget to say a prayer for my friend 47yrs of age who died by suicide over this recession,she had no fancy life or flash cars etc that seems to be the opinion that everyone borrowed above their means to have a flash lifestyle,well thats not the case. wake up and join the real world...GOODBYE...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

Generous welfare in a country that has very high costs full stop. There is no point here in moaning on about welfare costs when the whole country is out of kilter cost wise.. ever think the dole is high because of how much is needed for living. Yeah, but why go go there, it 's much more fun just to bicker about lottery tickets and make generalisations about the unemployed..

I got a shock last week when the same shopping trolley of food in Germany cost me half of what tescos charges in Dublin. If I do Lidl or Adli, it's half the cost of Ireland again.
    Why is this broke country out on a controlled tail spin when it comes to money and costs..

but nevermind, eh? Lets just continue to moan about all the dole money spent on lottery tickets.. oh and don't forget, the unemployed are all smoking and drinking it too..
    the b!§$ards! the lot of 'em :rolleyes:

ya?, go back to sleep,youre not in touch with reality at all,brush it all under the carpet like all the rest of this country and dont forget to say a prayer for my friend 47yrs of age who died by suicide over this recession,she had no fancy life or flash cars etc that seems to be the opinion that everyone borrowed above their means to have a flash lifestyle,well thats not the case. wake up and join the real world...GOODBYE...

You sound like someone who likes to let their emotions get in the way realistic debate.

The real question is why should there be additional non exchequer funding of social welfare?

Well why did your friend die by suicide? How did the recession cause the problem? Did she have nowhere to live? Did the state not provide support to get by?

Mr.Wemmick wrote: »
    Generous welfare in a country that has very high costs full stop. There is no point here in moaning on about welfare costs when the whole country is out of kilter cost wise.. ever think the dole is high because of how much is needed for living. Yeah, but why go go there, it 's much more fun just to bicker about lottery tickets and make generalisations about the unemployed..

I got a shock last week when the same shopping trolley of food in Germany cost me half of what tescos charges in Dublin. If I do Lidl or Adli, it's half the cost of Ireland again.
    Why is this broke country out on a controlled tail spin when it comes to money and costs..

but nevermind, eh? Lets just continue to moan about all the dole money spent on lottery tickets.. oh and don't forget, the unemployed are all smoking and drinking it too..
    the b!§$ards! the lot of 'em :rolleyes:

Who is making generalisatios? I certainly didn't. I never mentioned smoking or drinking nor did I classify them as "bastards"?

Also nobody moaned about spending dole money on lottery tickets. The OP's point was that there should be a ceiling on the lottery jackpot with excess going to fund services for "the poor". But why should lottery funds be siphoned off to prop up the social welfare system?

funds should be available so that the christmas bonus can be given out again ,give the poorer people back a bit of good cheer and my friend didnt smoke or drink,not everyone that are unemployd are smoking and drinking,she couldnt cope anymore with her depression since this recession started,she felt she left her kids down because she could no longer support them the way she wanted to. not everyone thats unemployd wants it that way,it happened to them because of businesses folding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

funds should be available so that the christmas bonus can be given out again .

Why should it?

Advertisement