Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it a good idea to go home?

Options
  • 28-06-2013 2:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

My boyfriend and I have both been living in Oz and NZ for the past 3 years and are now ready to give home a go..are we mad? We have asked friends and family who are only delighted at the thought of us returning but in all seriousness would it be a good idea? We are feeling so far away and lonely at the moment so maybe a stint in Canada or somewhere closer to home might be the job? I have been so excited at the thought of going home and living there for a while but is it a case of 'the grass is always greener'??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭SlappyTheSeal

Your barking mad. Once you come back youll want to get out again, as of today we are officially back in recession, imma gtfo of here the second I have the money and so is every other person I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 grassisgreener

even with 3+ years of overseas work experience? and extreme homesickness??? :confused: We are currently living in Christchurch where it is so quiet and extremely difficult to meet people!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

Either stay where you are or try Canada but seriously don't come back to Ireland. You'll depress yourself coming back here.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,139 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Depends what you are doing or qualified to do.

If you think there is a chance that you will get jobs back here that will make you happy then I'd say by all means come back.

But if you were coming back to sit on the dole, maybe that would be a bad idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,010 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

even with 3+ years of overseas work experience? and extreme homesickness??? :confused: We are currently living in Christchurch where it is so quiet and extremely difficult to meet people!

I have friends in Christchurch. They're involved with the local GAA club and seem to have a huge network of friends through that. Worth a shot maybe even if you've never played before? Male or female.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

What exactly is 3 years overseas experience? If you have been working in IT then your chances of getting a job would be good.

Otherwise you could move closer to home. Germany, Austria and Switzerland are doing well, low unemployment and lots of job openings that they cannot fill. You wouldn't need any visas and would be less than 2 hours away from home and can easily fly out on a Friday evening and back on a Monday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭bette

jester77 wrote: »
    What exactly is 3 years overseas experience? If you have been working in IT then your chances of getting a job would be good.

Otherwise you could move closer to home. Germany, Austria and Switzerland are doing well, low unemployment and lots of job openings that they cannot fill. You wouldn't need any visas and would be less than 2 hours away from home and can easily fly out on a Friday evening and back on a Monday morning.
    A work permit is required for Switzerland! Be careful of advice givers. When things turn pear shaped they vanish.

And take note:

Advice

A wise man won't need it and a fool won't heed it.

bette wrote: »
    A work permit is required for Switzerland! Be careful of advice givers. When things turn pear shaped they vanish.

And take note:

Advice

A wise man won't need it and a fool won't heed it.

You only need to go register with the local communal authorities and show your work permit and EU passport within 8 days of arrival. There is no lengthy visa process like going to Canada.

You only need to go register with the local communal authorities and show your work permit and EU passport within 8 days of arrival. There is no lengthy visa process like going to Canada.

The work permit is the problem!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

Myself and my girlfriend moved back late last year after being away for 11 and 8 years respectively.
    We are loving it!
    Yes things aren't easy but I moved away before the tiger really got mad and I missed the good times, maybe that has made it seem easier for me.
    We had reached a point where if we didn't move back when we did we might never move back so we took the leap and haven't looked back.

I'm not saying it will work out for you, but it has worked for us.

Don't let yourself get too drawn in by all the doom and gloom talk. Beneath it all, life still goes on and you don't want to miss it.

Bw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

You also need the German Language for Germany, Austria and Switzerland as the non-language requirement for job vacancies in these countries are not that many.

Talk about loneliness - you will need the language to integrate too in Europe.

Staying in english mother-tongue countries is by far the better option.

I think you will need to come back for a long holiday, if you can manage it, and have a hunt for job possibilities, talk to non-family about work prospects etc. Look at the cost and quality of accommodation, where you might like to live independently, etc. Always remember you left for a good reason and that reason will still be here when you return.

I moved back a year ago after many years away and I am staying put for now as the kids are happy in school. I am happy enough but given the choice, knowing what I know now, I would not have come back.. and I might move again, especially if the education cuts get much worse and subject choices in secondary school become less than they are.. the cost of rent is atrocious, building quality is even worse, taxes and cost of living very high.. health care is worrying and the future in this island of ours is anyone's guess..

You will need to look at the bigger picture and try to be objective.. but it might be a good idea trying to come home for a stint and while you are young, do not have children, not fully settled in one country yet, you have the choice then if it doesn't work you can opt to leave again. That way you know you gave it a shot but it didn't work.. and when you leave again you'll be older and wiser, no? Or maybe you'll get lucky and land a good job and opt to stay.

One thing for sure, you'll never settle or integrate fully anywhere while dreaming of home and feeling homesick. You have to accept things for what they are instead of comparing them to home, once you do that you will find ways of meeting new people and settling in better.

Mr.Wemmick wrote: »
    You also need the German Language for Germany, Austria and Switzerland as the non-language requirement for job vacancies in these countries are not that many.

French or Italian will also do for Switzerland!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

If you are set on at least leaving where you are now then why not come home and try it for a bit. If you can't find work and find it a bit depressing then you can always try somewhere else.

I personally think things have gotten a lot better. Peoples attitudes are still generally doom and gloom but job prospects seem a lot better than they were 3/4 years ago. I'm in IT tho so it's possible I'm just in a bubble shielded from whats going on outside it.

My sister is 18 and she is having no problem finding work atm with little or no experience. She recently moved to a commission only sales job because she wants the sales experience, but she move out of a job in a cafe and passed up other jobs in cafe's and the like. I'm not saying there is no jobs shortage, a lot of people are still finding it very difficult, but had my sister finished school 3/4 years ago then there isn't a hope in hell she would have the job opportunities that she has now in front of her. Things definitely seem better from where I'm standing.

If you are looking for work in a particular sector then you can easily guage job prospects by visiting some recruitment sites.

Best of luck.

French or Italian will also do for Switzerland!

Not in the german speaking part of Switzerland it wont.. and considering that is the largest part of Switzerland, and where many of the main international companies/position vacancies are, you will need the German language.

The work permit is the problem!

You can register with the local council/commune/gemeinde and look for work from that point on to get a L permit/ work permit. So jester77 is correct - it is very easy to move to Switzerland without waiting for the lengthy visa to come through.

The only problem is you will need accommodation and money, swiss health cover to do you wile you hunt for work, and considering it is very expensive in Switzerland, I wouldn't do it without the real chance of having solid contacts and insider info on work opportunities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

What about the UK? English speaking, large Irish communities (size depending on where you live), cheap flights home. You can make it back in an hour...

Not in the german speaking part of Switzerland it wont.. and considering that is the largest part of Switzerland, and where many of the main international companies/position vacancies are, you will need the German language.

Having lived there for over twenty years I got by admirably with French! Even les bourbines speak fluent French. There are a few international companies in the Suisse Romande, notably Nestlé...
    Sont soumises aux nouveaux contingents les personnes qui souhaitent prendre un emploi en Suisse, de durée indéterminée, égale ou supérieure à un an, et sollicitent à cette fin une autorisation de séjour B ou s’établissent dans notre pays en tant qu’indépendants.

Having lived there for over twenty years I got by admirably with French! Even les bourbines speak fluent French. There are a few international companies in the Suisse Romande, notably Nestlé...

I lived there too for more years than I care to remember and am still connected to the place. Most international and Swiss people I know who worked for Nestle, worked in Schaffhausen.

There are no meetings I know of held in french or italian in international companies/Swiss companies in German CH. All meetings are held in High German and English, but not always the latter.

I lived there too for more years than I care to remember and am still connected to the place. Most international and Swiss people I know who worked for Nestle, worked in Schaffhausen.

There are no meetings I know of held in french or italian in international companies/Swiss companies in German CH. All meetings are held in High German and English, but not always the latter.
    So nobody works in Vevey. I didn't know that. What about P&G Geneva, DuPont, Invista, HP not to mention the UN and it's various departments...?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

There are plenty of jobs here in certain sectors and the country's not the doom and gloom the media would have you believe. Research the job market first and foremost; can you get decent jobs where you would like to have them?

If so, then there's not any real reason to not come home if that's what you want. It's still the same Ireland that you left, just without the insane house prices and expensive nights out.

• Advertisement

So nobody works in Vevey. I didn't know that. What about P&G Geneva, DuPont, Invista, HP not to mention the UN and it's various departments...?

My point being from the start is regarding the German CH part: in order to work there you need to speak German - and you came along in one sentence and wrote french and italian will do too. My point here is that french will not do in German CH in business or international companies, end of. You can work in Geneva and fill your boots with french but the chances are you will need German too as it is the strongest arm in the language stakes in business in Switzerland.

Many companies distribute info to the whole of CH but in German and English only. That has been my experience of how it works. It seems that the french speakers need to have a really good grasps of German but the German speakers do not need to have as much french/italian. Unfair, yes, but then the french and italian speakers have a better base of languages than the Swiss germans.

Rösti-graben big time!

What about the UK? English speaking, large Irish communities (size depending on where you live), cheap flights home. You can make it back in an hour...

I agree about the UK. London for example is a great place to live and work, and when you are young, no kids, it is a great place to base yourself. Not as expensive travelling back home to see family and friends either, so you can have more trips home.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

My point being from the start is regarding the German CH part: in order to work there you need to speak German - and you came along in one sentence and wrote french and italian will do too. My point here is that french will not do in German CH in business or international companies, end of. You can work in Geneva and fill your boots with french but the chances are you will need German too as it is the strongest arm in the language stakes in business in Switzerland.

Many companies distribute info to the whole of CH but in German and English only. That has been my experience of how it works. It seems that the french speakers need to have a really good grasps of German but the German speakers do not need to have as much french/italian. Unfair, yes, but then the french and italian speakers have a better base of languages than the Swiss germans.

Rösti-graben big time!

Seriously, why don't ye take the arguments about languages needed for Switzerland elsewhere instead of clogging up the thread.

OP, if you want to come home, come home. Try it out for 6-12 months, it might work out and you and your partner might get work. If you don't you can look to go to Canada, UK, elsewhere.

My boyfriend and I have both been living in Oz and NZ for the past 3 years and are now ready to give home a go..are we mad? We have asked friends and family who are only delighted at the thought of us returning but in all seriousness would it be a good idea? We are feeling so far away and lonely at the moment so maybe a stint in Canada or somewhere closer to home might be the job? I have been so excited at the thought of going home and living there for a while but is it a case of 'the grass is always greener'??
    Be careful of any advice you get from internet fora. The reality is that we are officially in recession. Jobs are scarce and the conditions are not what they were before.

If you have established yourselves elsewhere as distinct from travelling then you should weigh up your situation against your chances of BOTH of you getting jobs here and what you want for your future.

If you look at the "argument" cited above you can see where advice is spewed without any great foundation. I emigrated from here some time ago and returned at the tipping point of the celtic bubble. I was astounded at the perception of the wealth of the country, what with Cowen claiming that the country was "awash with money" and that the economy was the envy of Europe. We now see that we were all had for fools but sadly many people got trapped in negative equity and cannot see a way out.

Never mind the colour of the grass, look at the opportunities that prevail elsewhere. You can make friends abroad but leaning on homesickness as a crutch won't help you there. Be positive and try to forget about the great craic in Ireland. It's not that great unless you have a decent job or are based in the family's home. Taxes are sky high, bin charges, household charges, impending water charges, insurances and all that you have to pay at the end of the month should be looked at. Winter will also bring in extra expenditure in heating.

Good luck to you in your decision making but consider the difference between the dream and reality.

Talk about loneliness - you will need the language to integrate too in Europe.

Staying in english mother-tongue countries is by far the better option.

Germans not difficult to learn, plus you can get by in the major cities without it. Plenty of multinationals but yes, your options would be very limited.

Loneliness wouldn't really be an issue, there are 80 million people living in Germany and everything doesn't revolve around the pub so it's easy meet people through work, groups, hobbies and social occasions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Agree with bette totally.

You might find that once you return your old Friends have other lives, interests & financial constraints & it will not be the old-days you remember. People change & so do their commitments. The Craic is all mighty when you come back but have they now mortgages/children/saving for weddings etc.

If you both come Back will you both get jobs? In the same area. When 1 in 6 +Aere on the dole, and the new norm is for employers to want you to work for free for 9 months on " internship" " schemes" .

Will you both have the cash flow to move somewhere, together, again of it dosn't work out, and to set yourselves up again to fly out/back, wait until you get jobs, get first months wage etc. it's hard to start new again if it dosn't work out here.

You know you won't be " entitled" to the dole or any social welfare for 2 years.

Have you tried Irish networking sites in NZ? My cousin is over there for his second year now & has now a great network of new Irish & NZ friends.he joined a few sport clubs - basketball & skiing.
    Maybe if you Always do things as a
    Couple people are Less likely to chat to you & team up - perhaps approach the GAA in CC but join different parts of it . People rarely approach a couple to befriend them here it anywhere else for that matter.
    you can also try meetup.com. Who operate all over the world and are fantastic - you find a subject/sport/thing you are interested in & they have literally hundreds of different group with different meeting points & "clubs" that
    Organise to meet up over the Internet. Really well worth looking into.

I'd be trying all these things before setting a toe back in this country, where it is increasingly difficult to stay afloat let alone get ahead, and where there is no optimism, job stability, and fewer opportunities.I seriously think it would be a big mistake.

Third quarter rescission reported
    Today - so - despite all attempts to talk us up the figures show that for the third quarter we are still decreasing in opportunities, with ever declining growth & an increase of unemployment & steady continued recession slump continuing.

nOT good to be dancing back into.

& Skype is free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

OP, do your own research into your field, let your boyfriend do his, start applying for jobs and sending emails now and see what your gut feeling is leading on from that.

Sick to absolute death of the doom and gloom and misery that people spout out any chance they get when it comes to Ireland. Recession, depression, negative equity, fewer jobs, we're all fooked yadda yadda. I've had more than a dozen friends return home in the last year, all of whom have managed to get work in a wide variety of fields and none of whom regret returning.

If you feel in your heart that you want to return home, get researching and set yourself a deadline to have both found work and settled back in, and if it's not happening at that point, revert to a feasible back up plan EG London, Canada.

Yes, economy in the toilet, fewer opportunities rabble rabble rabble but Ireland is not the third world, it's a wonderful, beautiful country and you cant underestimate the importance of family and friends. No-one can tell you what's right for you, you need to figure it out for yourself by looking at things objectively and not being led by fear mongering.

If anything, going back and realizing you don't actually want to live at home might serve as the clarity you need to really settle overseas again, without that doubt lingering at the back of your mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭CommanderC

My girlfriend is Irish (I'm a NZ'er). We moved to Dublin two years ago this month. She had been in NZ for three years and wanted to move home.

We found jobs within 2 weeks of coming home (in hotels in the city centre) and after a year she decided to go back to college.

We've really enjoyed being back and I'm so glad we did what we wanted to do, even when 90% of people were saying....'you're mad'.....

Do what your gut is telling you. It turned out well for us and most of the people who were trying to discourage us are the kind of people who 'go on' like that about every aspect of life anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

I'm in Canada, and I'd love to head home. The big killer is I work in management in construction. Still though, I'm fortunate, I don't have kids or a mortgage, so I might be in a position to head home and afford to spend time looking for a job in Ireland before trying the UK and then the Middle East

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Taxes are sky high, bin charges, household charges, impending water charges, insurances and all that you have to pay at the end of the month should be looked at. Winter will also bring in extra expenditure in heating.

They have winter in other countries too, not to mind some of the living expenses you have mentioned. The OP said they were gone three years so presumably left in 2010 when the arse had well fallen out of the Irish economy so they know what they are coming back to. I am sure if they decide to come home they will make the best of it. Being in familiar surroundings can make things that bit easier.

Advertisement