Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DUP MLA has 'no problem' burning Tricolour

Options
13»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭gallag

But the fact is that it largely is. Im not saying sectarianism is one sided, but this type of this come almost exclusively from unionism.
    Internment bonfires are held in a handful of places across the north and as far as i know, exclusively by the extreme fringes of republicanism and thugs looking any excuse to burn stuff.
    On the flipside, the July 11 bonfires are widespread across the north, nakedly sectarian, attended by a cross section of unionism, supported by mainstream unionist politicians and accompanied by 2 months of trouble.
    The fact is, on this issue, it is largely one sided.

Id also be interested to know when your catholic friends attend these things are people aware of who they are or do you warn them to keep their heads down. A friend of mine with an Irish name went to one with his housemate and was instructed to not tell anyone his name, not to let on where he was from and generally not to speak to anyone outside of his housemates group of friends.
    Someone recognised him from where he works, whispering and stares began and my friend and the housemate were advised to leave post haste.

Of course we don't announce there is a Catholic present, hell it took 2 years to convince his girlfriend to let him leave the house party but its a start :-( I would imagine I would not be advised to announce my political aspirations an internment bonfire? Another friend grew up in our community and although his parents were devoted catholics the whole family was accepted and in many ways cherished, he helped build the fire but I am sure there are bad and good examples on both sides, I really would like to see the end of flag burning though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭junder

Yer, so you pick one bonfire in an area known as a dissident hotspot, your point is?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

gallag wrote: »
    Of course we don't announce there is a Catholic present, hell it took 2 years to convince his girlfriend to let him leave the house party but its a start :-( I would imagine I would not be advised to announce my political aspirations an internment bonfire? Another friend grew up in our community and although his parents were devoted catholics the whole family was accepted and in many ways cherished, he helped build the fire but I am sure there are bad and good examples on both sides, I really would like to see the end of flag burning though!

And therein lies the difference, if these things are indeed "cultural events" as the DUP would have us believe then there is no equivalent within nationalism.
    You could announce your religion or political aspirations all day long at a fleadh or feis for example, and nobody would give a damn. I've had protestant and English girlfriends at Sinn Fein events, republican commemorations and rallies and never made any secret of who they were and it was never an issue.
    You couldnt, as you said, do that on the 11th or 12th.
    These internment bonfires are, as pointed out, held by a fringe element and not indicative of mainstream republicanism so a comparison with them isnt a fair one.
    Again, Id stress that Im not saying sectarianism is a one way street, but events such as this at the very least give the impression that it is more accepted within unionism or a more prominent part of the unionist psyche.

junder wrote: »
    Yer, so you pick one bonfire in an area known as a dissident hotspot, your point is?

The point is that the story clearly demonstrates that Sinn Fein are opposed to these events and willing to stand up to those holding them to the point where they are physically attacked, so any whataboutery trying to equate these sparse events held by tiny minorities with the widespread sectarianism endorsed by major unionist parties in July is grade A bullsh!t

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

Who is this "we"?

those who criticise unionists for ****e like this

• Advertisement

And therein lies the difference, if these things are indeed "cultural events" as the DUP would have us believe then there is no equivalent within nationalism.
    You could announce your religion or political aspirations all day long at a fleadh or feis for example, and nobody would give a damn. I've had protestant and English girlfriends at Sinn Fein events, republican commemorations and rallies and never made any secret of who they were and it was never an issue.
    You couldnt, as you said, do that on the 11th or 12th.
    These internment bonfires are, as pointed out, held by a fringe element and not indicative of mainstream republicanism so a comparison with them isnt a fair one.
    Again, Id stress that Im not saying sectarianism is a one way street, but events such as this at the very least give the impression that it is more accepted within unionism or a more prominent part of the unionist psyche.
    There is absolutely no way a protestant is safe at the fleadh, you are trying to paint a picture of bigotry, sectarianism and mistrust being one sided which after being raised in n.i I can assure you it is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

There is absolutely no way a protestant is safe at the fleadh, you are trying to paint a picture of bigotry, sectarianism and mistrust being one sided which after being raised in n.i I can assure you it is not.

A protestant could enter the fleadh if they wanted to religion =/= culture
    something the orange boys don't get

A protestant could enter the fleadh if they wanted to religion =/= culture
    something the orange boys don't get

Might nip up to the ardoyne fleadh wearing a top with a small union flag on it, good idea?

Tell that to the group of lads who came down from uni with me and a load of cross ones to the fleadh in letterkenny and loved it that much they came back a few years later for cavan. or my coleraine friend who joined me for the west belfast feile.
    as i have specifically pointed out in all my posts, im not trying to paint it as anything. it is what it is.

Might nip up to the ardoyne fleadh wearing a top with a small union flag on it, good idea?

My cousin had a big iron maiden one with a union jack on last year. nary a fu(k was given

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Tell that to the group of lads who came down from uni with me and a load of cross ones to the fleadh in letterkenny and loved it that much they came back a few years later for cavan. or my coleraine friend who joined me for the west belfast feile.
    as i have specifically pointed out in all my posts, im not trying to paint it as anything. it is what it is.

Sectarianism is a 2 way street on a societal level, no doubting that, and any attempt to paint it otherwise is not grounded in reality.

I do have to agree (through gritted teeth I don't mind telling you) that SF in public are not guilty of the same sheer idiotic comments that the DUP are. My own take on this is that the DUP are the more complacent party having been in the majority for so long and the fact that they have what they want effectively, a separate NI state within the Union, with this comes triumphalism and complacency in my experience.

The DUP are also influenced thanks to the odious mr Paisley and son(where SF are not) by a theological ideology which informs them they are morally superior to catholicism. Free presbyterianism has been a very malign influence in the DUP, on the whole that particular taliban-esque strain of protestantism is not the mainstream and is not representative of protestants across the board.

Anyway..I digress...

My cousin had a big iron maiden one with a union jack on last year. nary a fu(k was given

In the ardoyne?

It highlights clearly that Sinn Fein are not involved in these events, actively oppose them and that any equivalent sectarianism on the nationalist side comes from a tiny minority of nutcases. Totally incomparable to the widespread excesses of unionist sectarianism on naked display every year during July, clearly supported by the main unionist parties.

So in essence what your are trying to say is that most if not all unionists are bigots while only a few nationalist / republicans are bigoted, Infact they are Proberly not bigoted at all, just misunderstood

I am pie wrote: »
    Sectarianism is a 2 way street on a societal level, no doubting that, and any attempt to paint it otherwise is not grounded in reality.

I do have to agree (through gritted teeth I don't mind telling you) that SF in public are not guilty of the same sheer idiotic comments that the DUP are. My own take on this is that the DUP are the more complacent party having been in the majority for so long and the fact that they have what they want effectively, a separate NI state within the Union, with this comes triumphalism and complacency in my experience.

The DUP are also influenced thanks to the odious mr Paisley and son(where SF are not) by a theological ideology which informs them they are morally superior to catholicism. Free presbyterianism has been a very malign influence in the DUP, on the whole that particular taliban-esque strain of protestantism is not the mainstream and is not representative of protestants across the board.

Anyway..I digress...

I think you will find that the DUP realises that the unionist community is not very happy with it, and that these comments are a pathetic attempt at regaining some hardline unionist cred

junder wrote: »
    So in essence what your are trying to say is that most if not all unionists are bigots while only a few nationalist / republicans are bigoted, Infact they are Proberly not bigoted at all, just misunderstood

Nope. i am not trying to say anything. i have written exactly what i meant to say. i suggest you read it and take it at face value rather than tryin to attribute ridiculous comments of your own creation to it

Nope. i am not trying to say anything. i have written exactly what i meant to say. i suggest you read it and take it at face value rather than tryin to attribute ridiculous comments of your own creation to it

OK, put simply:

Sectarian is a problem in both Catholic and Protestant communities.

Agree or Disagree?

In the ardoyne?

Nope. never been to the ardoyne one. i fail to see what relevance that has however. your comments about wearing a union jack shirt are just a (hypothetical) attempt to deliberately antagonise (hypothetical) people. if ardoyne is like any of the numerous fleadhanna ive been to across ireland im sure if you just went as you are without trying to wind people up you'd be more than welcome.

OK, put simply:

Sectarian is a problem in both Catholic and Protestant communities.

Agree or Disagree?

Obviously. if you had read my posts you wouldnt need to ask that.

Obviously. if you had read my posts you wouldnt need to ask that.

Actually, because I have read your posts I felt I did need to ask you that. You are coming across as someone who only recognises the problems which exist on one side of the fence.

Sectarianism manifests itself in many ways, not just cavemen burning flags.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Those 11th night bonfires are an awful waste of good wood.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

It's ok everyone, Mr. Girvan has come out and clarified his inital comments. He now want to see a "reduction" in flag burnings!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-23089437

It's ok everyone, Mr. Girvan has come out and clarified his inital comments. He now want to see a "reduction" in flag burnings!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-23089437

I delightful sense of schadenfreude engulfs me.

Those 11th night bonfires are an awful waste of good wood.

You are right there, burning thousands of pallets people would gladly pay them 2-3 quid for, I would sell out pretty fast lol.

Actually, because I have read your posts I felt I did need to ask you that. You are coming across as someone who only recognises the problems which exist on one side of the fence.

Sectarianism manifests itself in many ways, not just cavemen burning flags.

Is it comments like this that make you think that
    Im not saying sectarianism is one sided

or do you just view any criticism of loyalism/unionism, no matter how justified, as being one sided?
    I cant help it if there is not a republican equivalent. Have I said anything that is actually factually inaccurate?
    Have we gotten to the stage now where any comment on the north must be prefaced with that odious mantra of the idiotic "well, one side is as bad as the other?"

You are right there, burning thousands of pallets people would gladly pay them 2-3 quid for, I would sell out pretty fast lol.

The bonfires of my youth were mostly old tyres. I can't even remember the sectarian element - I'm not even sure if I was at 'Protestant' bonfires or 'Catholic' ones. :pac: I love bonfires me.

In the summer we sometimes head down to my BIL's and Sister's caravan, pitch a tent, get a load of firewood, head into town for a few pints and then back to light a fire and have a few cans under the stars. Bliss.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

A two way street, but 5 lanes on one side and one lane on the other.
    Any attempt to claim there is some equivalence between both sides in this respect is not grounded in reality.

This isn't accidental. One side is trying to maintain a sectarian political settlement, the other is trying to remove this.

The bonfires of my youth were mostly old tyres. I can't even remember the sectarian element - I'm not even sure if I was at 'Protestant' bonfires or 'Catholic' ones. :pac: I love bonfires me.

In the summer we sometimes head down to my BIL's and Sister's caravan, pitch a tent, get a load of firewood, head into town for a few pints and then back to light a fire and have a few cans under the stars. Bliss.

I have a man cave out my back and at least once a week we get the fire pit lit and get wasted, cold beer and a warm fire is as good as it gets!

cold beer and a warm fire is as good as it gets!

Nothing better imo.

ardmacha wrote: »
    A two way street, but 5 lanes on one side and one lane on the other.
    Any attempt to claim there is some equivalence between both sides in this respect is not grounded in reality.

This isn't accidental. One side is trying to maintain a sectarian political settlement, the other is trying to remove this.

Your certinly traveling down one of those lanes

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Advertisement