Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gooch warning

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    Absolute rubbish. Look at Dublin and Meath, Mannion, Wallace, Newman, stephen bray. Some of those are young lads and don't carry much weight. Wallace and Mannion havr pace and skill. The game is getting faster ans these types of players are need just as much as strong, conditioned players. The game is changing for the better.

Look at the championship 20-30 years ago. Maybe 2-3 good games a season. Now you have more than you can count and thatfootball.
    My opinion is absolute rubbish just becuase you disagree .Ok. Dublkin are the exception they play with smaller players .Meath not so much . Donegal just won the All Ireland based on work rate and size !! Mannion and Wallace are young and will probably bulk up!! Cork only really consider players over 6ft.You named 4 players out of 30 for Meath and Dublin theyre will always be exceptions. But size in Gaelic is very important for the hits etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

wadacrack wrote: »
    My opinion is absolute rubbish just becuase you disagree .Ok. Dublkin are the exception they play with smaller players .Meath not so much . Donegal just won the All Ireland based on work rate and size !! Mannion and Wallace are young and will probably bulk up!! Cork only really consider players over 6ft.You named 4 players out of 30 for Meath and Dublin theyre will always be exceptions. But size in Gaelic is very important for the hits etc

Size is important in every sport.If 2 players with exactly the same level of skill come up against each other the bigger,faster and stronger player will win the contest.

Average heights have gone over the years so there are bound to be more 6 ft plus players playing GAA than in the past.

Donegal won the all ireland because they were the best team in the country last year and have 7 or 8 top class footballers in their team.Strength and size doesnt allow you to read the game and distribute as well as Karl Lacey did last year or finish like Michael Murphy and McFadden did or field like Neil Gallagher did.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Size is important in every sport.If 2 players with exactly the same level of skill come up against each other the bigger,faster and stronger player will win the contest.

Average heights have gone over the years so there are bound to be more 6 ft plus players playing GAA than in the past.

Donegal won the all ireland because they were the best team in the country last year and have 7 or 8 top class footballers in their team.Strength and size doesnt allow you to read the game and distribute as well as Karl Lacey did last year or finish like Michael Murphy and McFadden did or field like Neil Gallagher did.
    Its obviously ore important in certain sports. Not only height muscle mass of layers has increased dramatically the last ten years. In Professional football players are much smaller size not as important as Gaelic. Yeah no need to state the obvious.Smaller players and less muscled players are likely to more agile and quicker

• Registered Users Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭The Rooster

wadacrack wrote: »
    Size has always been important in gaelic football. When Heffernan was building the Dubs team of the 70s he went round looking for the biggest lads he could get (who could also play of course). The skillful little lads were largely ignored.

So its not a new phenomenan, and I bet if you went back 100 years, you'd see the same thing. Big lads who can give and take hits getting preference over the smaller lads.

In fact, my guess is there's as many skillful little lads in GAA senior intercounty teams today as there ever has been.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭harpsman

My memories of the Cork and Meath teams of the late 80s is that there were alot of big men on those teams

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭backgreen

jim mc guinness was complaining this week that there is a danger of somebody getting seriously hurt in gaelic football...i think a lot of the problem in gaelic is that it is defined as a semi-contact sport and is much more difficult to ref than full contact...my son plays rugby at a fairly high level but played gaelic up to minor, he got more injuries playing gaelic than rugby usually cynical fouls/off the ball etc, he decided on rugby because of the full contact nature of the game,the tackles are more defined and one is better prepered for them..i have a great sympathy for the ref in gaa as the tackle in semi-contact must be a nightmare to define at times

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

backgreen wrote: »
    jim mc guinness was complaining this week that there is a danger of somebody getting seriously hurt in gaelic football...i think a lot of the problem in gaelic is that it is defined as a semi-contact sport and is much more difficult to ref than full contact...my son plays rugby at a fairly high level but played gaelic up to minor, he got more injuries playing gaelic than rugby usually cynical fouls/off the ball etc, he decided on rugby because of the full contact nature of the game,the tackles are more defined and one is better prepered for them..i have a great sympathy for the ref in gaa as the tackle in semi-contact must be a nightmare to define at times
    it's actually a bit of a joke...if a ref blew for every contact foul we would see a different game altogether...that's why it seems unfair when a score is prevented to one team because of a contact foul when another team can score and the foul is let go....it's just so bloody vague....
    also, this whole business of one ref waiting to let the ball go out of play to end the game and another blowing up with the ball mid way to going over the bar seems mental!

Advertisement