Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you break religious articles?

Options
  • 25-06-2013 7:22pm
    Site Banned Posts: 43

I was looking through Facebook a minute ago and I saw a group of lads I use to school with posing with a statue of the Virgin Mary. The statue had a can of Bulmers beside and some of the guys thought it was hilarious while others had stern 'I disagree looks.' All and all they thought they were rebels.

What is your opinion of religious articles? Would you have a problem breaking them? I've broken some in the past to prove my contempt for the Catholic Church.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭endacl

No I wouldn't. It's infantile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Breaking anything to prove a point is pretty stupid, imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

I don't think someone is special just because it is religious, but I wouldn't break any status that weren't mine. That is just stupid, but by the sounds of it it was boys trying to be rebels. How juvenile

• Site Banned Posts: 43 Jacques Mesrine

I've moved into a fair few houses before and found religious articles in them. Pope John Paul II memorabilia seems to be a big thing in this country. The first thing I do when I find that stuff is fire it straight into the bin or break it if its breakable.

Reminds me of impoverished Ireland when people had to immigrate while these boys were living it up in the Vatican.

I love hearing superstitious Irish people saying things like 'mocking is catching' and that king of lark when I'm doing it

Good man. Fight the good fight.

;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

You mean like these guys,
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2001/mar/03/afghanistan.lukeharding

As for the tat why bother? It doesn't "prove" anything and given that you were highly unlikely to have bought it, all you're doing is putting the cost of replacement onto the religious lay folk (usually old) and not the CC.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Damaging somebody else's stuff is an absolute no no.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

I have repaired 'religious' statues because they had sentimental value to their owners. Like the large Jebus that used to on the landing when I was a kid - we all used him as a hat stand and he had 6 fingers on one hand from the time my grandfather tried a few home repairs after Jebus got in the way of my grandmother having a hissy fit.
    My grandfather died before I was born and my grandmother asked me to fix Jebus up many years later- I did leave him his 6 fingers.

I don't see them as 'religious' - I just see them as visual representations of something I don't happen to believe in. I feel the same way about images of the Buddha, Kali, Thor, Man Utd etc.

To deliberately break something that doesn't belong to you is, imho, criminal damage - no matter what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭18AD

Would totally wreck one. If it was mine.

• Site Banned Posts: 43 Jacques Mesrine

Come novena in my area the church pass around a statue of the virgin mary similar to what is done with the Heineken Cup;, some sort of marketing exercise. I'd say this is the statue the boys in the photograph had.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,904 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i wouldn't break a statue simply for ****s'n'giggles, but i would like the idea of clay jesus shooting.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

i wouldn't break a statue simply for ****s'n'giggles, but i would like the idea of clay jesus shooting.

I Lol'd.

There is no emoticon which expresses how much I like that idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

I would break any article, religious or not. Down with articles!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Vandalism is silly.

Printing a raptor head to you can stick it on to a "sacred heart" picture you already own to make a cheap, effective Raptorjesus is, however, Great Art.

Sarky wrote: »

Printing a raptor head to you can stick it on to a "sacred heart" picture you already own to make a cheap, effective Raptorjesus is, however, Great Art.

as is making the downstairs toilet into a 'confessional box' installation.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

With jesuses* that you purchase yourself, naturally.

*Is that the plural of jesus? Maybe jesi?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

*Is that the plural of jesus? Maybe jesi?
    Jedi :pac:

=-=

Depends on the article and it's place. If it's there to piss people off, destroy it. If it's there to help people, leave it there.

the_syco wrote: »
    Jedi :pac:

=-=

Depends on the article and it's place. If it's there to piss people off, destroy it. If it's there to help people, leave it there.

Or it's that sign on the Mallow-Cork road just before you get to the Commons Rd that says 'Jesus Saves' and is crying out for the words 'with the Credit Union' to be added.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,904 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

how costly is it to get a statue commissioned? i wonder how well a statue of jesus with a friend's face would go down as a birthday present.

• Advertisement

how costly is it to get a statue commissioned? i wonder how well a statue of jesus with a friend's face would go down as a birthday present.
    http://www.tek-lado.com/2011/07/27/get-cloned-at-the-clone-factory/?lang=en

Surely you wouldn't trash this wonderful icon, OP?!? :eek:

sacred_heart_of_elvis.jpeg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

A LOT! I would do it for 25 euros per hour, but it could take a lot of hours.

Personally, I collect broken statues. I have a broken child of prague and a broken jebus and a broken curlew/crake type bird, and a broken few other bits. I like them already broken, so any (ahem) mishaps with religious statues and I'll have em, ta muchly ;) I put them sitting together in interesting ways, you see. And sticking out of vases. That kind of thang.

Obliq wrote: »
    A LOT! I would do it for 25 euros per hour, but it could take a lot of hours.
    really? what materials?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

really? what materials?

Well....yes. That is the question. I'm good at plaster carving (or wax carving) and fancy paint jobs, but if you want a statue of jebus with your friend's head attached then you are better off with an actual statue and a new head attached really, in terms of time/money. That would mean a very clever little grafting job with tiny, tiny pegs or something, holding them together. And not fired, or they'd burst apart. Otherwise, you're talking about creating the whole thing, which I know I wouldn't have time for no matter how small, and not the technology either as I don't do firing work at all. Actually, I don't really have time full stop....sigh :(

If you're wanting a bronze or something classy, then you need to get it carved in wax first. (and obviously buy the bronze and the forging - not cheap!)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,386 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Never broke a statue or anything, but I did secretly burn my confirmation photos :pac:

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Obliq wrote: »
    If you're wanting a bronze or something classy, then you need to get it carved in wax first. (and obviously buy the bronze and the forging - not cheap!)
    hmm; we *have* been given an invite to visit a bronze forge, so maybe i could sneak some bronze out the back...

hmm; we *have* been given an invite to visit a bronze forge, so maybe i could sneak some bronze out the back...

If you try we demand photos.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

What is your opinion of religious articles? Would you have a problem breaking them?
    To be fair, Moses started it.

• Advertisement

Dades wrote: »
    To be fair, Moses started it.

Ah now - you are taking that out of context.

:pac:

Advertisement