Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tracksuits, when did so many teenagers just stop bothering with individuality?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭KeithM89

Erm...what made you think that?

The face in your sig.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

Yep, I think so too OP, tbh its either an age thing on my part or else teens and some people in general are slowly but surely becoming sheep and individuality style wise will soon become seen as "bad", "wrong", or a waste of time! :rolleyes:

This would be one of the culprits imho, just one of many of the "great" :pac: popular shows on TV nowadays

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Clandestine

I often find than individuality has more cons than pros to be honest, especially when you get condescending eye rolls from adults on the street or sniggers from your peers.
    That shouldn't matter. People project their own insecurities onto others, if they are going to give you sh!t for wearing what you want, they're not worth your time (Unless you look a right fool)
    Scylla wrote: »
    The face in your sig.
    Oh right haha. Its just a screencap from a film... not actually me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Im 27 and still wear tracksuits, well tracksuit bottoms and a hoody or jumper every day apart from at work (unless its Friday) and if im going out pubs/nightclubs etc....

People who see people in tracksuits as scum, or see it as chavy looking are in my opinion ****
    Nice attitude, and also why many people see some tracksuit wearers as scumbags

Teen here, I never wear tracksuits. Don't put everyone under the same umbrella.
    I said many teenagers, not all teenagers:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 618 ✭✭✭greenpyjamas

That shouldn't matter. People project their own insecurities onto others, if they are going to give you sh!t for wearing what you want, they're not worth your time (Unless you look a right fool)

Oh right haha. Its just a screencap from a film... not actually me

Yeah, I know that and honestly I don't care, I'm just saying in general people find conformity easier than individuality, from my personal experience.

There used to be a crazy Gerry on a bus route I use, haven't seen him for a long while now. Angry man with a golf umbrella that had a rubber stopper on the end, didn't seem to matter what bus I caught, crazy Gerry was almost always on it. I think he spent most of his time on that bus route:D

Did he wear a tracksuit?

Did he wear a tracksuit?
    Nope he was actually quite expensively well dressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,129 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I was in Amsterdam last year. Three days into my visit i realized the only person I'd seen wearing a tracksuit was running past me. And unlike when you see someone running in a tracksuit in Dublin, they hadn't just stolen a phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Dats me

Is wearing jeans (like moi) not conforming also? What would you have us wear? "Oh, that lad in the bee suit, really admire his originality"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Oh look, another 'it was better in my day' thread.

Start thinking, really thinking about what you wrote, OP. You're just regurgitating the same bile that middle aged people have been spouting for 4000 years.

Dats me wrote: »
    Is wearing jeans (like moi) not conforming also? What would you have us wear? "Oh, that lad in the bee suit, really admire his originality"
    I suppose it depends on your idea of conformity. I wouldn't describe making an effort and taking a little pride in your appearance as conformity. Conformity to me is just settling into a saggy assed unisex tracksuit with an elasticated waistband. Although there does seem to be a broad spectrum of tracksuit, ranging from the lurid neon all the way through to the cheap heavy grey cotton saggy ones.

I just don't get the appeal of wearing the same thing as everyone else. At least EMO's make a bit of an effort, you can give them that much. There used to be a lot of style diversity, you just don't really see that much of it these days among teenagers. Usually the teen years are when people experiment with style etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Thataone

Surely there's nothing *that* wrong with average teenagers wearing trackie bottoms and hoodies?
    If they were to wear anything else (some) people would still find cause for complaint in some shape or form, for example they'd be called sl*ts if they wore tight clothes/short skirts. You can't please everyone.
    And I think in the grand scheme of things being an "individual teenager" is not an easy thing. Teenagers want to fit in 99% of the time. By dressing like their peers it's one less thing they've to contend with in a bid to fit in with other teens. I know somebody will now tell me that it's "not about fitting in" but I think that while a teenager is trying to find friends, sort out where they're going to uni, keep up with school work etc they have enough on their plates.

At least in trackies all their skin isn't on show and they're not wearing dead animals. Isn't that enough :p

Thataone wrote: »
    Surely there's nothing *that* wrong with average teenagers wearing trackie bottoms and hoodies?
    If they were to wear anything else (some) people would still find cause for complaint in some shape or form, for example they'd be called sl*ts if they wore tight clothes/short skirts. You can't please everyone.
    And I think in the grand scheme of things being an "individual teenager" is not an easy thing. Teenagers want to fit in 99% of the time. By dressing like their peers it's one less thing they've to contend with in a bid to fit in with other teens. I know somebody will now tell me that it's "not about fitting in" but I think that while a teenager is trying to find friends, sort out where they're going to uni, keep up with school work etc they have enough on their plates.

At least in trackies all their skin isn't on show and they're not wearing dead animals. Isn't that enough :p
    Yeah the thing is the tracksuit thing seems to carry through into adulthood. It's as though once people put one on they just don't bother with decent clothes anymore. I'm amazed at how angry so many people are about their beloved tracksuits being criticised. Honestly folks people who choose to wear nothing but tracksuits are really just look a tad lazy and slovenly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Thataone

Yeah the thing is the tracksuit thing seems to carry through into adulthood. It's as though once people put one on they just don't bother with decent clothes anymore. I'm amazed at how angry so many people are about their beloved tracksuits being criticised. Honestly folks people who choose to wear nothing but tracksuits are really just look a tad lazy and slovenly.

I agree that once it gets into adult hood, it does look slovenly! That's when things go too far.
    As far as the teenagers go though, I'd say leave 'em off :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭greenpilot

Obesity equals Tracksuit.

Simples.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Unless you're playing sports or training, it's a lazy way to dress. Fcuk all thought goes into it.

Start thinking, really thinking about what you wrote, OP. You're just regurgitating the same bile that middle aged people have been spouting for 4000 years.
    Who're you calling middle aged:P, incidentally I've seen plenty of middle aged people wearing tracksuits.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Another vast generalisation . This thread pops up at least once a month in some form .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Ruudi_Mentari

Still, better than the shellsuits teenagers wore when I was a kid.

*shudder*

Should have seen my pals one, he hit his teenage yrs just the wrong side of 1992 or whatever

unlucky. and there was this rocker, or regular lad as i knew em beside him it his slightly older cousin with just a basic denim jacket / flannel shirt looking free as a f'n bird in comparison, tbh

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Back in my day we had proper clothes. For instance LA Gear runners with three different coloured laces in each runner and Joe Bloggs jeans that had blue denim in the front and black denim at the back. The black denim was about half as thick as the blue denim, so the back of your legs would be colder than the front.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Ruudi_Mentari

You had the Cure heads etc and clothes make a statement about the persons sense of style and individuality, or lack of it

Won't be going for the Robert smith look anyhow.

Simon Gallup, if any of em that classic greaser look is understated and low maintenance. And regular enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

I dont get the hate for skinny jeans? :P

There grand on most people IMO!

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭DaveDaRave

Those tracksuits arent cheap. Maybe thats what they think looks good and youre being judgemental

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭MickFleetwood

Yet another thread criticizing the current generation. :rolleyes:

Perhaps they like purchasing and wearing clothing they feel comfortable in? Or should they simply go out and instead buy other pieces of clothing to be an "individual."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭MickFleetwood

What do you mean it "seems" to carry through into adulthood? :confused: Have you grown up with a group of people who wore them as adolescents and grew up to wear 'em as an adult?

Speak for yourself on decent clothes, by the way. Nobody is bothered about you criticizing tracksuits FFS, they're getting angry with the hundredth thread complaining about either how scummy, ugly, pathetic, stupid or horrible the current day teenagers are.

People who make assumptions about others and their personalities (you calling tracksuit-wearers "lazy and slovenly" :rolleyes:) based on the clothes they wear are so petty and condescending. How about disadvantaged people who cannot afford stand-out clothes and can only wear what they're given, yet still find the time to succeed in whatever they're doing, be it sporting or academic.

But no, you're right. They're just lazy, slovenly conformists.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

This thread is baffling. Teenagers wear tracksuits because they are comfortable and simple pieces of clothing. Often cheap, and easy to take care of.

You can try to derive some big judgement on society about individuality and personalities from that and twist into a 'we were better in my day' but you sound ridiculous and boring by doing that.

And to those who go on about how they make no effort or it's lazy, do you expect everyone to dress to please you? On one hand you criticize teenagers for caring too much about satisfying peoples judgements and so dressing the same, then you argue that they should dress in a way that satisfies your judgement.

Don't even own any thick grey tracksuit bottoms (Have only 2 navy O'Neills pairs that i got for playing for my county) and am not too fond of the look myself, but the attitude of people judging here is even worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

My tracksuits do promote my individuality, from the personal apliqued statements across my ass.

"Juicy"
    "Angel"
    "Horny"

There's one for every occasion.

Velurebabe4lyf

Oh , I can just see you now , a vision in pink or orange and with that fresh ,wholesome, pregnant at 16 look.

Who thought Northside ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Don't mock tracksuits. Them, combined with tucking them into your socks, makes my job easier.

Anway, i think your time would be better spent giving out about the knobs with Beats by Dre headphones on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

Indeedly. I'd have thought tracksuits were even more popular in the '80s tbh, along with sweatbands and armbands and leg-warmers.
    The '80s was the leisure-wear decade, especially with sport and dance actually being kinda fashionable.

One item that never seems to go out of fashion is a pair of rose-tinted specs.

I see no more people wearing tracksuits now than I saw in 2007. Or 2002. Or 1997.

Advertisement