Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tracksuits, when did so many teenagers just stop bothering with individuality?

Options
  • 25-06-2013 6:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭

Since coming back from England in 2007 I've noticed that so many teenagers just seem to live in tracksuits. Tbh I find it slovenly but more than anything it seems odd that so many teens have stopped bothering about their appearance. I'm not talking about spending a fortune on clothes but when I was in secondary school in the 80's guys and girls made an effort.

You had the Cure heads etc and clothes make a statement about the persons sense of style and individuality, or lack of it. All a tracksuit and trainers says to me is that they have little sense of individuality or style and are basically just lazy. I think it's a sad state of affairs that the tracksuit has become a unisex uniform for the scumbag/skanger and teens from every financial background in between.

The thing is that the parents of these teens are from my own generation who did bother to make an effort so I'm confused as to why so many of their offspring seem to have given up on making any kind of effort. When and why did this sheeple thing begin:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Every generation of teenagers look the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Since coming back from England in 2007

Traitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Why do you care what teenagers wear so much?

Leave them alone ffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Still, better than the shellsuits teenagers wore when I was a kid.

*shudder*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭blaze1

Sure most tracksuits cost more than a pair of jeans these days.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Kids these days and their parachute pants!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

All a tracksuit and trainers says to me is that they have little sense of individuality or style and are basically just lazy.
    Yeah, but they are teenagers so doesnt that go without saying!

It's people in their 20s and 30s who wear them everywhere who have a problem!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭KeithM89

Bring back Shell Suits. Much more stylish than hoodies.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,100 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Agricola wrote: »
    Yeah, but they are teenagers so doesnt that go without saying!

It's people in their 20s and 30s who wear them everywhere who have a problem!

I don't know about everyone else, but I find a wearing a tracksuit quite liberating after a day spent in work clothes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

My tracksuits do promote my individuality, from the personal apliqued statements across my ass.

"Juicy"
    "Angel"
    "Horny"

There's one for every occasion.

Velurebabe4lyf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Tracksuits make it easier for them to walk around scratching there balls all day

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Comfort > vanity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

I don't know about everyone else, but I find a wearing a tracksuit quite liberating after a day spent in work clothes.

yup sitting on the couch legs spread hand down the track suit pants and having a good scratch/feel.
    priceless.:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

I tend to wear tracksuit bottoms when im popping about,there's nothing better than getting into fresh tracksuit bottoms after a shower.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

There used to be a crazy Gerry on a bus route I use, haven't seen him for a long while now. Angry man with a golf umbrella that had a rubber stopper on the end, didn't seem to matter what bus I caught, crazy Gerry was almost always on it. I think he spent most of his time on that bus route:D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,109 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Teenagers and individuality shouldnt be in the same sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Are we talking about average teenagers or teenagers with their trousers tucked into their white socks?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

I see a lot more teenagers these days wearing skinny jeans and converse trying to make a fashion statement than I do wearing tracksuit bottoms. At least tracksuits are comfortable, what redeeming feature do skinny jeans have?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

I see a lot more teenagers these days wearing skinny jeans and converse trying to make a fashion statement than I do wearing tracksuit bottoms. At least tracksuits are comfortable, what redeeming feature do skinny jeans have?

lowering fertility rates?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

When I was a teen we all had long fringes, lumberjack jackets and doc martens, we looked like some tits

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭Hownowcow

Fat people can't wear them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Im 27 and still wear tracksuits, well tracksuit bottoms and a hoody or jumper every day apart from at work (unless its Friday) and if im going out pubs/nightclubs etc....

People who see people in tracksuits as scum, or see it as chavy looking are in my opinion ****

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭Festy

Old ladies don't have to cross the road when they see them coming in their direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Degringola

Tracksuits = babygros for grown up babies :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Festy wrote: »
    Old ladies don't have to cross the road when they see them coming in their direction.

well that's because they could batter the ponces who wear them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

Grey track suits. Everywhere. Manky and mindless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Clandestine

Teen here, I never wear tracksuits. Don't put everyone under the same umbrella.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭KeithM89

Jesus, i thought you were about 50.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 618 ✭✭✭greenpyjamas

Same here. I often find than individuality has more cons than pros to be honest, especially when you get condescending eye rolls from adults on the street or sniggers from your peers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Clandestine

Scylla wrote: »
    Jesus, i thought you were about 50.
    Erm...what made you think that?

Advertisement