Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Age card

Options
  • 25-06-2013 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭

I've age card application filled out I just have to bring it to the garda station. If I bring it tomorrow will I have my card by Saturday??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Don't count on it.. Do you not have a passport you can bring out with you on Saturday?

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭MissD93

Don't count on it.. Do you not have a passport you can bring out with you on Saturday?

No :( is there any temporary form of id they can provide??

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭mad turnip

They usually take a week minimum, if not longer don't forget your birthcert and passport when going to bring in the application.

MissD93 wrote: »
    No :( is there any temporary form of id they can provide??

They can give you some kind of piece of paper I've heard but good luck using that to go into any nightclub or pub.

mad turnip wrote: »
    They can give you some kind of piece of paper I've heard but good luck using that to go into any nightclub or pub.

:D hopefully it will do, will night clubs accept it ? my local night club usually just accepts any kind of id (if you don't look remotely like the person) but they always check for id

• Advertisement

:D hopefully it will do, will night clubs accept it ? my local night club usually just accepts any kind of id (if you don't look remotely like the person) but they always check for id

I'd reckon the bouncers won't even know what it is and will laugh

Actually theres a post in after hours made by someone else who seems to know more about it:
    pharmaton wrote: »
    If it's for opening a bank account or job application or something urgent op (other than beer) you canget an ML10 form signed and stamped the same day, you can use it til your age card comes through.

I'd reckon the bouncers won't even know what it is and will laugh

Actually theres a post in after hours made by someone else who seems to know more about it:

ok :( thanks anyway

ok :( thanks anyway

If your not able to use your current password or your parents won't allow it you can use expired passports (just don't point out its expired)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

I've age card application filled out I just have to bring it to the garda station. If I bring it tomorrow will I have my card by Saturday??

Number 5 on the list here says you could be waiting 10 Working days.

http://www.agecard.ie/

Our Son applied for one recently,and he was waiting about 2 weeks for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Not a hope in hell.

And some stations also send them off in batches so you could be waiting much longer.(sergeant at the station told me that after)
    I was waiting 4 weeks for mine. A friend sent his into the station 2 weeks after me and they arrived the same day.

• Advertisement

garv123 wrote: »
    Not a hope in hell.

And some stations also send them off in batches so you could be waiting much longer.(sergeant at the station told me that after)
    I was waiting 4 weeks for mine. A friend sent his into the station 2 weeks after me and they arrived the same day.

did they give you any temporary form of id and if so did it work at pubs/Nightclubs

Never asked for it, heard of some people getting it but not sure if it works in clubs or not. it might work if you bring another form of photo ID. Cant see it working without photo id tho.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

When I applied for mine, they gave me a receipt that had my name and the fact I'd applied for an age card on it, but you'd be laughed out of a nightclub if you tried to use that I'm afraid.

You could take it with you and give the bouncer a sob story and it might work, but being honest I wouldn't get my hopes up if the place you're going is strict on ID.

And no, there is no chance whatsoever of a 2 day turn around on the age card.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I was in the same situation a few days ago actually . Had just turned 18, hadn't bothered to send off for an age card, and had sent my passport away to get a new one as it was going to expire within ryanairs 6 month thing for a flight in july... Worked out grand anyway though

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

What if you brought your birth cert or is that no good either coz theres no picture?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

deise_girl wrote: »
    What if you brought your birth cert or is that no good either coz theres no picture?

No picture. Plus, IMO, bringing your birth cert on a night out is a terrible idea.

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    No picture. Plus, IMO, bringing your birth cert on a night out is a terrible idea.

I read somewhere your birth cert had to be accepted as ID for something. Whys it worse than bringing a passport?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Still waiting for my card, just over 5 years now.... :pac:

I read somewhere your birth cert had to be accepted as ID for something. Whys it worse than bringing a passport?

It does not have to be accepted as ID. Its not photo ID. someone could just pick up their older siblings birth cert and head off out with it.

I didn't say it was. Using a passport as a primary form of ID is a horrible idea as well IMO. For no other reason than it's a hassle and costs money to replace them.

I'm willing to be proven wrong, but I can't imagine why they'd accept it as ID. I mean, I could have taken my brother's birth cert when I was 12 and just said "Yeah, I'm [brother's name]. Two pints of Guinness there love." :P

• Advertisement

It does not have to be accepted as ID. Its not photo ID. someone could just pick up their older siblings birth cert and head off out with it.

Yea well I didnt get it like coz anyones birthcert could belong to anyone of a rough age

I didn't say it was. Using a passport as a primary form of ID is a horrible idea as well IMO. For no other reason than it's a hassle and costs money to replace them.

I'm willing to be proven wrong, but I can't imagine why they'd accept it as ID. I mean, I could have taken my brother's birth cert when I was 12 and just said "Yeah, I'm [brother's name]. Two pints of Guinness there love." :P

And just for clarity, the reason I think taking your passport on a night out is not the best idea is pretty much summed up here. €80 to replace a lost passport VS €10 for an age card.

The guard just laughed me out of the station :o :P He said if I put a passport photo on a copy of my birth cert he'd stamp it but he couldn't see it working, and he said there was no way my age card would be back, guess i'm staying in :(

The guard just laughed me out of the station :o :P He said if I put a passport photo on a copy of my birth cert he'd stamp it but he couldn't see it working, and he said there was no way my age card would be back, guess i'm staying in :(

I can't believe you even asked hahaha.

I can't believe you even asked hahaha.

I don't think he could either :o i tried to laugh it of tough by telling him extremely bad jokes.

Ah MissD just give the bouncer your sad eyes and you'll get in. Something like this:

Puss-in-Boots-Sad-Eyes.jpg

:P

Ah MissD just give the bouncer your sad eyes and you'll get in. Something like this:

:P

you clearly haven't gone out much during college if you think tis the sad eyes the bouncers are looking at :p

you clearly haven't gone out much during college if you think tis the sad eyes the bouncers are looking at :p

Well I thought it may have been a little crude to suggest wearing an extremely low cut top.... ;)

Well I thought it may have been a little crude to suggest wearing an extremely low cut top.... ;)

Dont forget the 3 pushup bras !

• Advertisement

Dont forget the 3 pushup bras !

And i'd like to thank everyone for the amazing advice

Advertisement