Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Awful work - Do you say something?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,114 ✭✭✭dinneenp

It depends-
    do you know them personally?
    Or are they just online?
    Is it their work in general or just a few photos?

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭TTWNF

i see art as being personal taste and subjective... but if there is obvious technical flaws & the photographer is calling themselves a professional then i can see why people would be annoyed. I'm only taking photos a year so am open to criticism once it's done in the correct manner. Here on this forum i asked about HDR as i wanted to try it from a technical point of view and go through the process and i thought some of the comments i got from established boards members were a bit on the rude side. However in the random photos thread i got some great criticism and feedback on a photo which i took on board and was grateful for...

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Splinters

I should have guessed this would be where this topic ended up. I thought I had made it clear enough but just to confirm I'm not talking about any kind of subjective art. This isn't an issue of taste. I'm talking about a very simple straight forward photograph which has been technically fumbled beyond belief.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭superflyninja

bah I gotta see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Splinters wrote: »
    I should have guessed this would be where this topic ended up. I thought I had made it clear enough but just to confirm I'm not talking about any kind of subjective art. This isn't an issue of taste. I'm talking about a very simple straight forward photograph which has been technically fumbled beyond belief.

Was it fumbled, or was it deliberate artistic interpretation? :D

• Advertisement

I'm curious/intrigued as well.
    I've posted a few photos here recently that I've tried to be creative with (panning & post processing).
    If it's my photo I'd be happy to get constructive criticism on it...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

dinneenp wrote: »
    How do you know the image?
    Was it on boards photo forum?

Something in Splinters OP sounded familiar. I went back to the image I was reminded of, reviewed the comments, and with some very elementary investigation was able to confirm the comment on the image was indeed by Splinters.

It was not on boards and it was not your image :)

Ben D Bus wrote: »
    Something in Splinters OP sounded familiar. I went back to the image I was reminded of, reviewed the comments, and with some very elementary investigation was able to confirm the comment on the image was indeed by Splinters.

It was not on boards and it was not your image :)
    a hint? pix? flickr? was it me? lol

Guys, a bit less attention on the image in question if possible. This isn't about making an example out of anyone.

Im talking in general....you see somebody who's clearly fumbled a shot. Not in an intentional or artistic way, just dire technical execution, either with the the photography side of it or horrific pp, whatever the case may be.....if its genuinely just bad work would you say anything in the hope they might take something away from it and improve, or just leave them to it.

Thats all this post is meant to be.

a hint? pix? flickr? was it me? lol

Hint: It wasn't pix or flickr.

To my knowledge the photographer in question does not post on boards.ie :)

• Advertisement

If it was in a forum where people comment on photos then I don't see why not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Bookface?

At this stage, we really need to see the image in question... I even said that in the first reply :)

Im talking in general....you see somebody who's clearly fumbled a shot. Not in an intentional or artistic way, just dire technical execution, either with the the photography side of it or horrific pp, whatever the case may be.....if its genuinely just bad work would you say anything in the hope they might take something away from it and improve, or just leave them to it.

If they ask for a detailed critique I'd consider it.
    If they ask "Do you like my photo?" I'd either offer a "not my thing" or "I prefer less post-processing" or just say nothing.
    If they post without an invitation to comment then I'd say nothing.

well without singling out the image, if someone posts an image on a public forum where feedback is generally given then a softly softly approach might be best....like gently nudging to a relevant tutorial....if the tog has published the image as a professional then id do nothing. A picture is worth a thousand words......

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

I would tell them what I though, but for every few criticism I had, I would try to say something positive about it as well. Also, I would try to say all of the criticisms in the most gentle way possible, being constructive. I think it would be worse not to say anything at all.

I don't think there's any harm in pointing out something they may have missed or messed, constructively of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

"That photo is really crap, why did you even upload it?"

Tallon wrote: »
    "That photo is really crap, why did you even upload it?"

"Meh."

Best blunt criticism I ever got for one of mine was "If I was your model I would have punched you for posting that image" :eek: I can't be the only one who has suffered a temporary loss of taste can I?

I would tell them what I though, but for every few criticism I had, I would try to say something positive about it as well. Also, I would try to say all of the criticisms in the most gentle way possible, being constructive. I think it would be worse not to say anything at all.

Your photo is awful but on the positive side there's no image of kids being bloodily savaged by a pack of wild dogs in it.

• Advertisement

Ben D Bus wrote: »
    Best blunt criticism I ever got for one of mine was "If I was your model I would have punched you for posting that image" :eek: I can't be the only one who has suffered a temporary loss of taste can I?

Thats just it, I've no doubt I've produced some awful work myself. And I was genuinely thankful, admitedly after the initial slight ego bruising for any criticism I got. I'm still not at a level that I want to be but I'm fairly certain I wouldn't be where I am now if it wasnt for the honesty of people pointing out what I was making a hames of.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭inkedpt

If you see another photographer producing some absolutely awful work, beyond the possible interpretation of personal taste, I mean really really awful work would you ever say anything?

It's one of those things, a photographer wouldn't post awful work. Bad perhaps but not awful and bad is subjective.

If I like someone's photo and I believe it can be improved with minor changes I would say, the same way I've no problems in praising his/hers work, it's not a critique it is just an opinion.

In this case perhaps the photographer is just someone with a camera and some kind of pp program.

yes it's awful :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Stephen P

I'm not going to like every photo I see. If I see some awful photos I move on, unless the person asked for advice or feedback. If that's their "style" leave them to it, some people won't like my style and that's fair enough. I've produced some terrible photos after post processing them, I learn from my mistakes and what's makes us grow as photographers. :)

Advertisement