Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Awful work - Do you say something?

Options
  • 24-06-2013 5:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭

Just curious what others take on this would be.

If you see another photographer producing some absolutely awful work, beyond the possible interpretation of personal taste, I mean really really awful work would you ever say anything?

Of course I don't mean in a nasty manner, and it goes without saying anything like that should always be said in a constructive manner. I'm just wondering in general would you bother at all or just leave them to figure it out themselves.

I know its a bit vague and probably depends on the situation. I'm just curious...and Im also trying to fill in the next 20 mins before I leave work ;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Send us a link to their work!

Also, personally, I'd say it if it was a friend

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

If I see a picture on Pixie that I know how it can be improved I comment on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

I can attest to this :)

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Splinters

Ahh no I'm not trying to name and shame, or embaress anybody.

I just encountered a situation where I seen somebody posting what I would describe as really awful work, mostly down to insanely over the top post processing. I tried to leave some very polite and friendly constructive criticism which was met with a fairly blunt "thats just my style".

In all honesty I couldn't really give a rats, its a stranger, if they're happy with it then of course thats the main thing.

I'm just wondering would most people here even bother or let them learn at their own pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

I think 9 times out of 10 that person wouldn't listen to reason anyway. If someone's work is so bad and they put themselves out there as a working photographer, their head must be so far up there hole any sort of critique wouldn't work.

I've seen it a few times but never said anything.

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Advertisement

Yep that seems to be the case here alright.

I'm by no means an expert on the way things should be done. I'd like to think at the very least I've improved a bit from where I first started, and was always glad of some constructive criticism to steer me in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭Fiona

If somebody thought my work was awful I would like to hear the feedback and the reasons behind it especially if I admired their work as you would be foolish not to take that chance to learn something from the person.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Splinters wrote: »
    If you see another photographer producing some absolutely awful work, beyond the possible interpretation of personal taste, I mean really really awful work would you ever say anything?

Funny, I was about to tweet a cryptic 140 characters along the lines of "Your work sucks >> Oh, its just my style >> Your work still sucks".

I didn't execute that idea but it was inspired by a post I saw online elsewhere ;)

That work was truly awful. *shudders*

As to whether to say it or not. It can be a tough one and depends on the context. I've done it but only where I'd have been reasonably familiar with the individual or where it being asked of (C&C for example - yes, a different ball game).

There is a professional or two who are at least a little popular but who's work I think is pretty shi*e, but I wouldn't even go there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

i probably wouldn't say anything. some people can get hurt easily sometimes by feedback. instead, i'd probably pick one of their nicer pieces and comment on that.
    there was one time though, a friend of mine was posting up some HDR stuff, that was a bit OTT.. all i said to him (to his face) "still on that HDR buzz, eh?"
    haha thankfully, he knew what i meant by that, and nothing more was said. and no more OTT HDR pics wrangled their way into my feed. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,598 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

taste varies - what i deem awful others might like and vice versa - so I'd be very careful to say something is awful - I just say nothing , and from my experience thats best (for a quiet life ).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

there's obviously stuff posted here which makes my toes curl - but i'll only comment if the context is one where feedback is welcome. if something is muck, i'll only voice my opinion if it'll be valued. opinions are cheap, and i've loads of 'em.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Ah yes, but you are quite the affable sort (at least when we got to know you a little)

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

Just curious what others take on this would be.

I know the image you're talking about. Suggest you just move on :)

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭amdgilmore

I regularly see work I hate on every photo sharing site or forum. And I frequently see work I hate being on the receiving end of heaps of praise, which drives me crazy.

I've only been taking photos for about a year though, and don't have the photographs to back up my claims of having good taste, so I just keep my mouth shut.

I don't think most people want critiques of their photos anyway. Better to avoid doing it unless specifically asked for.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭puddles22

it all depends whos doing the critique for me , if it was someone like maddog from here i would take it very seriously but from an average joe soap with no photographic experience that would b different story for example, i remember showing my landscapes to a person once and they they flicked through them really fast and finished by saying there crap theres no people in them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭kevc2

I tried to leave some very polite and friendly constructive criticism which was met with a fairly blunt "thats just my style".

I think I know who you are talking about :) I seen that post today, I also commented on it.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

puddles22 wrote: »
    i remember showing my landscapes to a person once and they they flicked through them really fast and finished by saying there crap theres no people in them

Sounds like me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭RossFixxxed

Constructive ciritcism is always good! I'm not a photographer, but I do enjoy trying my best to take some nice pictures from time to time. I find it theraputic and it's fun to look at the world around trying to spot something unique or something just plain fun! Someone saying 'it's crap' doesn't really help, just makes it seem a bit rubbish, someone saying 'why not try x, y and z in your pictures' will have me out taking more pics that day trying things and experimenting!

Seems to be a mixed bag of opinions here. In this particular instance it seems quite clearly to be a beginner and I was very careful to word it in a polite manner so as not to offend or hurt their feelings.

I guess it is a very personal thing. I've been on the receiving end of quite harsh critique myself, and I'd like think I was able to take most of it on board and where ever possible try to learn from it.

Its interesting to note, I used to be quite active as a musician a good few years back and can remember the critiques given to peoples music, especially in the local band scene, tend to be a whole lot more harsh then I've seen anywhere with photography. Possibly it's to do with the type of people that typically get involved with either interest.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

if it's a rank amateur producing this stuff, the easiest response is along the lines of 'it's not my cup of tea'.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭kevc2

People are afraid to offend anyone. Personally I'd like people to criticise all of my photos. I would only make recommendations on friend's photos.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

photography is subjective; there will always be people who like and dislike your work. it's all about the manner in which you deliver constructive criticism that matters. though there are just some people who can't take criticism, even if you deliver it in a nice way.

Yep Id very much agree with that. Even the harshest criticism can be still be delivered in a polite or constructive manner. I'd still rather say something in a polite manner then not at all.

The internet can be a fairly harsh place and if somebody is publicly displaying work as bad as that, somebody at some stage is going to say something very harsh and upsetting. In a weird way the good thing about working to such apoor standard is that theres loads of ways it can be improved.

Honestly Id rather be the guy who leaves a bit of constructive criticism, even if it runs the risk of slight offence and hopefully have them take something away from it, then say nothing and have somebody else tear them a new one.

sometimes the only thing i can really say about a photo is 'it leaves me cold'. hard to make anything constructive out of that...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭superflyninja

Yup gotta agree. Id rather hear the harsh truth.I find it hard judging my own stuff so other's opinions are always helpful

is publicly displaying work as bad as that, somebody at some stage is going to say something very harsh and upsetting. In a weird way the good thing about working to such apoor standard is that theres loads of ways it can be improved.

yeah , but who has the right to judge something as poor standard or bad - I guarantee if some of William Klien or Robert Franks early work were displayed today , people would judge it as bad . Some of ther work looked bad to me first time, but , it grew slowly on me , to today where it is some of my favourite work , just like a good album or a lot of good art - takes time for its efect to hit - so, I'd be very carful to cast something as awful , unless I was well able to back this up - today we want instant gratification , copycat images sparkling in over saturated and unnatual colour, rather than something that looks a bit different, and takes time to digest, that may be good to some , but not the majority

thebaz wrote: »
    yeah , but who has the right to judge something as poor standard or bad
    every single one of us does. it's not as if you're making an irrevocable call, you're deciding whether or not it meets your specific set of criteria, whatever they may be.

every single one of us does. it's not as if you're making an irrevocable call, you're deciding whether or not it meets your specific set of criteria, whatever they may be.

calling someones work awfull , is a pretty big call - I'll say no more.

the comment i quoted was 'judge something as poor standard or bad'; that does not imply that the judgement call is vocalised, and i wasn't saying that one could or should go around expressing opinions on all photography.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,114 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Ben D Bus wrote: »
    I know the image you're talking about. Suggest you just move on :)

How do you know the image?
    Was it on boards photo forum?

Advertisement