Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lions tactics in the modern era

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Klunk_NZ

Aussie are a good team, even the AB's accept that we might have a loss to them every 5 tests or so. Genia is probably the best 9 in the last 30 years.

In response to the OP I think it is a very sound tactic picking a bulk from one country and implementing their gameplan. If NZ and Aus had to combine for anything you would see Genia take number 9 Digby force Savea out of wing. An aussie number 6 and a golden bench of utilities such as AAC, Beale and co. It just works better for Gelling purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

Its not even the Welsh game plan in defence, its the English influence in that area

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭For Paws

Buer wrote: »
    I'm not going to go back over those selections for the simple reason I posted in those threads that the team would be completely different as picking several months in advance is no indication of who will be in form come tour time.

For example, I couldn't fathom people not selecting AWJ. A lot of people were still selecting Richie Gray mainly because they'd seen bugger all of him and assuming he was still playing excellently.

6 months ago, the 6N hadn't taken place. That's always been the biggest indicator of who goes on tour.

Maybe, if Gatland had been Scotland coach, he'd have brought some additional Scottish players. Extremely possible. The fact is though, he's the Welsh coach and they're the best side and they have a suitable representation in the test team. I don't think anyone can have any complaints about those who he has selected; the vast majority of his selections have been the correct ones. Has his familiarity influenced them? Maybe. Have they still been the right calls though regardless? Yup.

My point exactly.

As to whether they have been the right calls regardless, we'll never know.
    All we will ever know is whether or not this squad wins the Test series.
    This is itself does not rule out the possibility that a substantially different squad might also have won or lost the series.
    Even at this point, with the first Test won, there are posts in this thread stating the names of those players who 'should not have travelled'.

Is this tour nothing more than Gatland's application for the NZ job pasted on top of a fundraiser for the Aussie Super 15 sides ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

Klunk_NZ wrote: »
    He's up 1-0 on the 2nd best team in the world. I'd say he is doing everything right.....

Boks are far and away better than the Australians imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,187 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Boks are far and away better than the Australians imo

I think they're fairly evenly matched. If Australia could figure out what to do with their 10/12 and identify an 80%+ goal kicker, I think they'd be the better side. Australia have had the better of the last two 3N/RC tournaments.

South Africa have more power and probably better depth but they struggle to translate that into results on the field. They're not the side they were 3-4 years ago though at all and have never really replaced the likes of Botha, Matfield, Smith and Smit up front.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Buer wrote: »
    I think they're fairly evenly matched. If Australia could figure out what to do with their 10/12 and identify an 80%+ goal kicker, I think they'd be the better side. Australia have had the better of the last two 3N/RC tournaments.

South Africa have more power and probably better depth but they struggle to translate that into results on the field. They're not the side they were 3-4 years ago though at all and have never really replaced the likes of Botha, Matfield, Smith and Smit up front.

To be honest I think if South Africa are on their game at all they should comfortably deal with Australia at home and have a decent chance away. I also disagree that SA haven't replaced Smit, they may well have the best 2 hookers in the world in Straus and Du Plessis. Lots of depth and options in the second row too. Smith is a big loss and the 7 shirt is tough to fill. The real worry is the prop forwards to be honest. Jannie Du Plessis doesn't look up to it anymore and Mtawarira isn't in his best form either, and the team got bullied by Italy in the scrum. They should still have the quality to deal with Australia however with Habana back in the form of his life.

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭Gambas

padser wrote: »
    Lydiate by rights shouldn't even have toured based on current form and fitness (both non existent).

I don't really see how you could argue that Cuthbert is on a par with Bowe. Bowe is a considerably better player (North and Bowe are head and shoulders above the other wingers) and in any case it hasn't actually happened.

Can't see how you can dismiss Lydiate on the basis of no form and fitness, and yet big up Bowe. Both have come to the tour with the same sort of season behind them.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,187 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Sorry, you're right, Smit, as a player, has been replaced comfortably. But what he brought as a presence to the side has not been.

On paper, SA have always looked like the more physically dominating side and certainly have stronger depth but, when it has come to getting the job done in the last couple of years, they haven't managed to turn their power into results.

Nobody seems to know their best position in Australia, Deans needs to go.

• Advertisement
Advertisement