Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's it all about? Seriously. FFS.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,259 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Bannasidhe wrote: »

Now just to feed (ba dom tish) the foodie controversy - I find most Italian food pretty meh tbh.

Try it in Italy and say that! Sitting on a sun drenched early evening plaza in a small town. In good company and with wine in hand and not a care in the world. Sometimes food is about more than food...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Sometimes it's about the wine you're having with said food? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

endacl wrote: »
    OK. So it's a food thread...

:)

Hawaiian pizza? I personally have no problem with this, once its a pizza prepared in Hawaii. With no pineapple. Pineapple's only proper place is perched atop a gammon steak.
    I was the same, I was firmly against it, but then I tried it and.... it's just so tasty.

Mandarin orange is also good, some gourmet pizza place used to do it.

And say what you like about Dominos; their Florentine (feta, basil, semi dried tomatoes) with double mushrooms is a wonderful, wonderful thing; even for a committed carnivore like me.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Read again. He sold the company in 1998. Your conscience is clear, if not your alimentary canal.
    Monaghan sold to Bain Capital (founders include M. Romney) in 1998, but was brought back in some years later after Bain ballsed it all up, but I'm not sure when he left (or if he's still there).

Dreadful pizzas, btw. And I remember years ago eating a piece of what Dominos labelled "Garlic Bread" which -- I kid thee not -- had the amazing property of having no apparent flavor whatsoever, not even of cheap grease, cheap flour and especially, cheap garlic.

robindch wrote: »
    Monaghan sold to Bain Capital (founders include M. Romney) in 1998, but was brought back in some years later after Bain ballsed it all up, but I'm not sure when he left (or if he's still there).

Dreadful pizzas, btw. And I remember years ago eating a piece of what Dominos labelled "Garlic Bread" which -- I kid thee not -- had the amazing property of having no apparent flavor whatsoever, not even of cheap grease, cheap flour and especially, cheap garlic.

Unforgivable. Even expensive garlic is cheap...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Even expensive garlic is cheap...
    Even if the tax is paid?

robindch wrote: »
    Even if the tax is paid?

:)

Cheeky!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Try it in Italy and say that! Sitting on a sun drenched early evening plaza in a small town. In good company and with wine in hand and not a care in the world. Sometimes food is about more than food...

I did once have some nice sardines in Venice but nothing to compare to the ones I had in Lesvos.

I found the food in both Milan and Rome nothing to write home about.

In terms of eating with wine in hand I would go Greece, France or Spain before Italy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

Now just to feed (ba dom tish) the foodie controversy - I find most Italian food pretty meh tbh.

As my mammy says, it's bland.

On the matter of pizzas, when I was in Cork my local place used do a spicy tandoori chicken version. Unfortunately after my brother left for Holland they discontinued it, as though two of us made the variety (just about) profitable, me on my own didn't. I find pizza best et with a nice bottle of Leffe.

As my mammy says, it's bland.
    Buy your mammy a nice quality chili oil...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

Buy your mammy a nice quality chili oil...

She never uses it. Finds that getting me to chop up chilis for her is better.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

She never uses it. Finds that getting me to chop up chilis for her is better.

Does she stand behind you hinting, "Is your eye itchy? It looks itchy." Or cutting up onions?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭legspin

Obliq wrote: »
    I think endacl is right.
    I so rarely get to hear that!

*bookmarks page*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_lRg8MsB0k

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Instead of Dominoes or other ****e, make your own pizza:

http://www.gianni.tv/pizza-margherita-2/

My favourite is red onion, prosciutto, an egg and a good fistful of rocket at the end.

I live round the corner from some of the best pizza in Cork. ^_^

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

I had the worst pizza of my godless life in Rome airport, ironically.

old hippy wrote: »
    I had the worst pizza of my godless life in Rome airport, ironically.

I had the worst ever in Milan.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Weird, I've never had bad pizza in Italy, but I have had a damn-near inedible horse stew in Verona.

I had the worst ever in Milan.

Best ever in Padova. Couldn't face an Irish pizza after getting home. Until I was introduced to Fade Street Social's flatbreads. Not quite a pizza, but what every pizza should aspire to...

• Advertisement

Speaking of worst ever - coffee. So often so bad Ireland.

Worst so far :
    Hayfield Manor Cork. So bad I was looking for a pot plant to spit it into...

Anywhere in Castletownbere. So bad it's fun watching the expression on people's faces as the 'taste' hits them.

Mayo. Just bad. Everywhere.

And in the U.S - what the hell are they doing??? It looks like coffee. It smells like coffee. It tastes of absolutely nothing. How do they do that? Why do they do that??? :confused:

Best ever in Padova. Couldn't face an Irish pizza after getting home. Until I was introduced to Fade Street Social's flatbreads. Not quite a pizza, but what every pizza should aspire to...

Best I had was in Lugano.

I make me own now.

Friend of mine gave me an espresso maker not too long ago after she got a better one as a wedding present. I'm slowly working through the varieties of freshly ground coffee one can buy about town, and loving it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Speaking of worst ever - coffee. So often so bad Ireland.

Worst so far :
    Hayfield Manor Cork. So bad I was looking for a pot plant to spit it into...

Anywhere in Castletownbere. So bad it's fun watching the expression on people's faces as the 'taste' hits them.

Mayo. Just bad. Everywhere.

And in the U.S - what the hell are they doing??? It looks like coffee. It smells like coffee. It tastes of absolutely nothing. How do they do that? Why do they do that??? :confused:

Except in Seattle, I'm told

Sarky wrote: »
    Friend of mine gave me an espresso maker not too long ago after she got a better one as a wedding present. I'm slowly working through the varieties of freshly ground coffee one can buy about town, and loving it.

I do like the coffee from that wee stall in the English market - the one next to On the Pig's Back.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭IT-Guy

I do like the coffee from that wee stall in the English market - the one next to On the Pig's Back.

RE coffee, Badger and Dodo ftw!

Luciano's on McCurtain street had the nicest pizza in Cork, fact! I think there's a Domino's there now? Where its sister shop on the Grand Parade used be is now Pizza D'Italia and has terrible pizzas! The base is undercooked, doughy mush topped with way too much cheese and not enough toppings. Avoid

I missed the biscuit thread but my faves are Jaffa cakes (daycint for dipping in the cup o' tae) and Fox's crunch creams, especially the chocolate ones, savage!

JAFFA CAKES ARE NOT BISCUITS.

Sarky wrote: »
    JAFFA CAKES ARE NOT BISCUITS.

They are not even food.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭IT-Guy

They are not even food.

Feck off the pair of ye! Nicest biscuit/cake/non-food EVER! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Has anyone tried the pizza in Café Time in Blanchardstown's Dunnes' Stores? It is mouth-wateringly delicious.

Advertisement