Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ratoath Road/Reillys Bridge level crossing elimination

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,555 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

There is no level crossing at Broombridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

I don't think they'll ever be able to eliminate the LC at Ashtown, unless they decide to close the road and stop trains going through for a while to build a bridge... there's just no other reasonable pathway for a bridge like there was at Ratoath Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,994 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Jebus... Any word on when this will open?

Bridge is apparently open from this coming Wednesday.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

January wrote: »
    I don't think they'll ever be able to eliminate the LC at Ashtown, unless they decide to close the road and stop trains going through for a while to build a bridge... there's just no other reasonable pathway for a bridge like there was at Ratoath Road.

Ashtown is definitely planned, unlike the probably easier crossings beyond Clonsilla which weren't on the last list I saw. Much quieter roads and less train paths on those, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

At ashtown they wont be able to build over the line as the incline would probably be too much (the finglas side of the bridge is a downward hill. Rather they might build UNDER the line instead since theres plenty of road space on the navan road side and it would be able level with the finglas side much easier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭SeanW

Bridge is apparently open from this coming Wednesday.
    Nice. Will the level crossing be closed right away?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Infini2 wrote: »
    At ashtown they wont be able to build over the line as the incline would probably be too much (the finglas side of the bridge is a downward hill. Rather they might build UNDER the line instead since theres plenty of road space on the navan road side and it would be able level with the finglas side much easier.

Going under would be a big deal given that there's not just the canal but a deeper canal lock, the train line, the train station, the historic bridge, the old house between the railway and the canal, and the new building (with basements etc?).

Given the above, the minor nature of the road and the fact the new bridge is only a few minutes down the road, maybe the level crossing should be just closed with an under/over bridge just for walking and cycling?

SeanW wrote: »
    Nice. Will the level crossing be closed right away?

Yes, Wednesday is the end of the crossing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,087 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Infini2 wrote: »

Hard to believe all that development got planning permission around Ashtown station and no definitive plans for the elimination of the crossing gates wasn't included.

Once again the opening/closing date has been put back; this time it's due to a few delays in finishing the road works. The new date is Monday 16th at noon when the bridge will open and the level crossing will simultaneously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,121 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Thanks for that, Losty. I was peering at the scaffolding and loose wires as the bus went over the Level Crossing this morning and I thought, there's no way that will be finished by tmw... Monday the 16th isn't too long to wait. *smiles wanly*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

Once again the opening/closing date has been put back; this time it's due to a few delays in finishing the road works. The new date is Monday 16th at noon when the bridge will open and the level crossing will simultaneously.

Is the bridge open?

I passed by it yesterday and it looked like some work is still to be completed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

celticbest wrote: »
    Is the bridge open?

I drove by this morning and it kinda looks done, but there was nobody working on it and the barriers are still up.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭pclive

Just walked by it and there are 15-20 workers still working on the bridge and its surroundings

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

The local rumours have it opening very soon. Must email DCC to get some sort of definite answer.

celticbest wrote: »
    Is the bridge open?

It's been put back again as there are still a few outstanding jobs to do on the approach road; this time till March 4th.

It's been put back again as there are still a few outstanding jobs to do on the approach road; this time till March 4th.

What?? *throws things*

God Damnnnnnnnnnn!

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭aliveandkicking

Woo-Hoo!! Heading over there in the next half hour. Can't wait to see it in action!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

great - one less level crossing to worry about - I wonder will it shave off a minute or two on the rail trips?

ongarboy wrote: »
    great - one less level crossing to worry about - I wonder will it shave off a minute or two on the rail trips?

Not quite. The level crossing will be open for a couple of weeks to allow work traffic in and out to deal with walling and sealing off the old crossing but this will be minimal as such. Once done and the associated signal for the crossing are moved, Reilly's will be history and the city will have just three staff operated level crossings left in service.

The bridge won't make any material different to train times bar the odd minute or two if there was a delay in closing the gates. The main difference will be felt on the Ratoath Road itself; traffic can expect to save up to 10 minutes at peak times.

A joy to travel over on the way home from work!

A joy to travel over on the way home from work!

Cycled over it this afternoon and it looked great. Can't wait to see how much it trims off the journey time of the 120 bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Subpopulus

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭StreetLight

Love the way the Irish Cycle article starts with:
    "A new €9.8 bridge opened today...."

Nine euro and eighty cent for a bridge? Not bad! :D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Love the way the Irish Cycle article starts with:
    "A new €9.8 bridge opened today...."

Nine euro and eighty cent for a bridge? Not bad! :D

Err... Fixed. Thanks. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭mackerski

The new layout (including the new ramp that turns out to be a shared pedestrian and bicycle space, oh dear...) is now mapped on OpenStreetMap.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,273 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Um, I thought it was meant to cost only about half of this. :confused:

Unless, there is improvement in rail services, will this just be moving traffic queues from A to B?
    mackerski wrote: »
    The new layout (including the new ramp that turns out to be a shared pedestrian and bicycle space, oh dear...) is now mapped on OpenStreetMap.
    Shameful that it took a whole day to map! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Victor wrote: »
    Unless, there is improvement in rail services, will this just be moving traffic queues from A to B?

I would sincerely hope that when this and Porterstown are officially stopped up (Porterstown being delayed by political fiddling and nothing more) that they can tighten the timetables or add paths. Well, both hopefully.

Advertisement