Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Referees.

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Agree with you OnTheCouch. To be fair, a good bit of the refereeing direction is fairly basic ("behind the back foot", "1 needs to stay square", "need to bind with your arm" etc.). Even just from watching a little T14 with French commentary I'm starting to pick up those phrases, so surely either a) the ref could learn those phrases in both languages or b) the players could learn them in the ref's language - as long as the ref keeps it simple and doesn't wander off in more prosaic lectures!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,963 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Contrary to popular opinion , Props are not stupid.. Refs could manage the scrum without ever needing to use the whistle... A quick word before the next scrum or lineout to the offender is all it takes - "Keep your arm up at the next scrum" , "take the contact straight" etc.... If a prop hears that he instantly knows that the ref is switched on and the messing stops - If refs just do the typical guess work thing , Props will continue to mess and try to get one over on the other guy because they know they have a 50:50 chance of getting away with it...
    That's easier at lower levels. At higher levels, with tv cameras and mics people would say is he a coach or a ref?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

That's easier at lower levels. At higher levels, with tv cameras and mics people would say is he a coach or a ref?

I'd prefer to think of it as Game managment...

They'll say to a team , "watch the offside at the break-down " or whatever... Don't really see this any different..

Advertisement