Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Referees.

Options
  • 21-06-2013 7:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    When a referee is named for a big game, you often hear people commenting on the referee (usually) in a negative way, saying this referee is too fussy, that referee is too harsh on judging people off their feet in the tackle etc etc....

I'm just wondering, could somebody (or lots of ye combined) make a list of all major referees and comment on that referee, pointing out if they are good or bad, and the particular reasons that makes them so.

Please. : )

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

...I guess I'll get the ball rolling and start with Alain Rolland. He used to be one of my favourite referees, but personally I find him to be too pedantic these days and very quick to pull out the cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,732 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

I like Nigel Owens. Always get his point across to the players, and isn't afraid to be humorous. Generally agree with most of his decisions, and I don't find he particularity whistle happy.

Don't like George Clancy as his interpretation of scrums and the breakdown bordeelines on insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,732 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Also I dislike Steve Walsh, purely for his overuse of the word "mate"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Pudsy33 wrote: »

Aye but what about his magnificent hair and beard?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

I like Steve Walsh, never let's the occasion get to him, and frankly never comes across as a ref due to his lax attitude, including spats with players.

If any ref had a comedy movie made about them it'd be Stevie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

.ak wrote: »

You seem to be forgetting the lad we had for the USA-Ireland match.. infuriating but great entertainment

Tox56 wrote: »
    You seem to be forgetting the lad we had for the USA-Ireland match.. infuriating but great entertainment

I missed most of that cuz of the poor stream

But going by the thread he sounded a barrel of laughs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

Shane Horgan is a great fan too , not a nice fellow.

Ref for the match tomorrow

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsu6AjwQnyo

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Joubert is decent. I quite like JP Doyle think he's a very clear ref who is very consistent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,184 ✭✭✭✭Buer

duckysauce wrote: »
    Shane Horgan is a great fan too , not a nice fellow.

Indeed. I'll always struggle to look beyond his actions at various times such as the Horgan incident, the bust up with England in 2003 and his drunken behaviour. How a referee that verbally abused a player and gets in an altercation with a coach can ever be trusted to be fully impartial during every game is beyond me.

He also appears to be madly in love with himself. No man milks his moment more when he knows the ref mic is being listened to or he's going to the TMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Stev_o wrote: »
    Joubert is decent. I quite like JP Doyle think he's a very clear ref who is very consistent.

JP Doyle is a quality referee in my eyes. How did he end up in the English system though?

Jaco Piper (SP?) from South Africa is a decent enough ref too

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

P_1 wrote: »
    JP Doyle is a quality referee in my eyes. How did he end up in the English system though?

Jaco Piper (SP?) from South Africa is a decent enough ref too

Must live over there. He worked the 7's circuit for a good few years and really established himself as a first class ref.

Honestly though I am not a fan of the big named ref's. A lot of them take reffing to far where it feels more like Team A vs Team B vs Ref.

I like McEnemey, he's a new ref in the Pro12. Think he's one to watch.

Buer wrote: »
    Indeed. I'll always struggle to look beyond his actions at various times such as the Horgan incident, the bust up with England in 2003 and his drunken behaviour. How a referee that verbally abused a player and gets in an altercation with a coach can ever be trusted to be fully impartial during every game is beyond me.

He also appears to be madly in love with himself. No man milks his moment more when he knows the ref mic is being listened to or he's going to the TMO.

:pac::pac::pac:

Yep his beard stroking and short fixing once he is on camera is embarrassing, the Guy generally seems not nice -- he is an uber confident person, who is not suited to reffing rugby. Put that in the politest way I could :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Nigel is too much of a home town ref. Love when we have him in the rds, dispare when we have him on the road

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Crash

I was always sad when Joel Jutge retired. he screwed us once or twice but he was one of the ones who should have had a longer career.

edit: Just to add in, was seriously annoyed that Steve Walsh managed to work his way back up the system in the manner that he did. If anyone ever came across as viewing themselves as bigger than the game itself, it was Walsh in the mid 2000's. I think it was unfortunate that he started refereeing so early, he was obviously decent at it but having started so young, he let his ego grow waaaay too big.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

.ak wrote: »
    I like Steve Walsh, never let's the occasion get to him, and frankly never comes across as a ref due to his lax attitude, including spats with players.

Judging by some of his actions, I'm not sure I'm so enamoured of Steve the man, but Steve the ref can be quite good. Like Pudsy33, though, his gratuitous use of the word "mate" really grates on my nerves - along with those friendly pats on the back he gives players.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭19543261

Where's that one video, the classic one..

Edit: Yep.

Personally, I dont see why every single ref shouldnt be required to have their own affected persona. And lingo.

...maybe a funny run, too.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,095 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I have no problem with refs in general

Except pointe....

I fcuking hate pointe.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Poite had a good run of games in early-mid 2012 and then fell to pieces again, Always hate him reffing our matches. Scrums are a total coinflip with him too.

Teferi wrote: »
    Poite had a good run of games in early-mid 2012 and then fell to pieces again, Always hate him reffing our matches. Scrums are a total coinflip with him too.

His compatriot Garces is a much better ref.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭seanm92

Don't like George Clancy as his interpretation of scrums and the breakdown bordeelines on insane.

Agreed, whenever I see Clancy named to ref a Connacht match, I expect us to get crucified at the breakdown, Re: Owens, while I think he's a very good ref overall, I dont find him entertaining or funny TBH, his 'this isnt soccer' comment was childish IMO.

I think Glen Jackson is one to watch though, I was really impressed with his performance in the Lions-Force game, although I havnt seen too much of him otherwise, its great to have ex pros reffing and I feel he could be a big success story

• Registered Users Posts: 8,963 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Most fans when they loose blame the ref. It's really because admitting the better team won might be a dent to their ego.

If the team keeps loosing with different refs, then they blame the manager. The people who do this have probably never reffed or managed a game in their lives. Ah sure isn't easy being an expert on the couch :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Most fans when they loose blame the ref. It's really because admitting the better team won might be a dent to their ego.

Agreed generally yes, but you see an example like the Lions match on Saturday and the fans of the winning team were seriously unimpressed with the ref, when the ref genuinely is bad in rugby he can have a huge impact on the game (some would say too much..)

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Gordon Gecko

Crash wrote: »
    I was always sad when Joel Jutge retired. he screwed us once or twice but he was one of the ones who should have had a longer career.

True I thought he was a very decent international ref and think it's very sad that his knee managed to end both his playing and reffing careers! Whenever I see or hear of a ref who took to it after their playing career was ended I get a huge sense of "fair play" that they love the game that much, I can hardly look at rugby on the TV when I'm injured such is my frustration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

Not that critical of referees and even less so now that ive started to do some refereeing myself
    Owens and Rolland are not as good as they were.
    Joubert is one of the best around.
    Don't mind Jonny Lacey reffing most of the time. Took up reffing straight upon retirement from playing

ormond lad wrote: »
    Not that critical of referees and even less so now that ive started to do some refereeing myself
    Don't mind Jonny Lacey reffing most of the time. Took up reffing straight upon retirement from playing

I'd be interested on your views of Pollock's performance. My first impression was a mixture of good and bad, but not so bad as some would have you believe. But since you're a ref yourself, I'll give your opinion some weight.

Tox56 wrote: »
    Agreed generally yes, but you see an example like the Lions match on Saturday and the fans of the winning team were seriously unimpressed with the ref, when the ref genuinely is bad in rugby he can have a huge impact on the game (some would say too much..)

The fans don't know as much as they think. Maybe the ref had a word with the Lions in his pre-match and said he was going to be very strict about staying on your feet and then had to back it up. We don't know.

Also, the higher the levels you go up in rugby the harder it is to ref because things happen quicker. You have to judge not just offences but materiality something a lot of fans don't know even exists. Very few have the ability to ref at that level and if you are 90% of the calls right you are doing right.

That's why it's really good that x - players are getting into reffing.

But the problem line is most fans who give out about refs would struggle to ref a J4 game.

• Advertisement

ormond lad wrote: »

That's great. I'm sure a thinking rugby man like yourself will be a great ref.

I like Owen's as he tends to try and let the players play a bit more and only really ping material offenses - he is also a brilliant communicator which is what reffing is really about as we are not always going to agree on some decisions. Lacey tries to explain everything which is good for players and fans.

The thing is as I said very very few can cut it at this level. The reason I said that because is I see some refs say at AIL level or below and when they go up they may not be as good as they were at the level they are use to. The same happens in every position at rugby. You might a brilliant number 7 at J2 but at J1 he struggles. I remember thinking I had pretty much mastered scrums at J3, J2 level and then getting burnt at a J1 game because the props were faster than me. Clancey looked brilliant before he went on the elite international panel; I don't think he has look as good at the elite level. Just my opinion. He looks like he is loosing control a bit.

Fans are pickey with a few decisions in a game but they forget that in Rugby there is almost two decisions per minute so out of 160 decisions if you get 155 right you've done pretty well.

Advertisement