Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

God damages Lourdes shrine causing hundreds of thousands of euro's of damage

Options
  • 20-06-2013 3:58pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Why would god do such a thing? Surely it makes no sense that he'd damage a shrine dedicated to Mary? Maybe they had a fight?
    Residents of the French town of Lourdes are clearing up after severe flash floods which forced the closure of its holy shrine.

The town's Massabielle cave, where the Virgin Mary is said to have appeared to a local girl, is one of the most famous Catholic pilgrimage sites in the world, attracting nearly six million visitors every year.

The cost of repairing the shrine is expected to run into hundreds of thousands of euros.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-22982169

Good old god's will eh?
    guess he thought spending 100,000's of euro's on repairs was better money spent then spending it on poor people?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,259 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Mary burnt the dinner. There was a fight. Both Mary and god ran out to get some 'alone time'. They left the taps running.

Jeez. I happens. Give them a break FFS. It's the child I feel sorry for...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

I wonder if the church will pay for the repa..... I couldn't actually continue if I tried

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

It's because of sin. All bad things are never caused by god. Unless it's his flawed attempts to "get the economy going".

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Cabaal wrote: »
    Why would god do such a thing?

Well he also gives aids to babies, so he does have previous in the being a cúnt department.
    endacl wrote: »
    Mary burnt the dinner. There was a fight. Both Mary and god ran out to get some 'alone time'. They left the taps running.

Jeez. I happens. Give them a break FFS. It's the child I feel sorry for...

He'll be fine, he can walk over the floods no problem!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

God works in mysterious ways, who are we to question his actions?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

Your cynicism is pathetic.

Absolutely. Questions imply answers. And that's when sh1t just falls apart...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Well there's your problem right there; a lack of accountability.

kylith wrote: »
    Well there's your problem right there; a lack of accountability.

Quit focusing on the problem, find a solution. The solution, for me, is to trust in his greatness, his actions have consequences that us mortals have no way of knowing or understanding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

The last pope must have foreseen this, and the weaselling out of paying victims of abuse was so they could spend the money on repairing...

No, I can't do it either. Watch the sheep clamour to fling money at a location designed to fleece them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,824 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

how do we know that the cave was not going to collapse on everyone inside, so by creating flooding, god was preventing greater misery? eh?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,824 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

so you're saying it *was* deliberate?

so you're saying it *was* deliberate?

Everything that happens in this world is Gods will and to question it is futile. We will simply never understand his reasoning but we must trust that in the end it will have been for our good.

Quit focusing on the problem, find a solution. The solution, for me, is to trust in his greatness, his actions have consequences that us mortals have no way of knowing or understanding.

I find that when the problem is lack of accountability the solution is to march right up to whoever's in charge and ask them what the flipping flippedy flip they think they're playing at and that if they have some over-arching plan to share the details with the rest of us, thank you very much. Not to pretend that shoddy workmanship is what you wanted all along.

Some people prefer to sit meekly in darkness, I suppose.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

If someone keeps beating me and telling me it's for my own good, I don't think "well I dont understand you but you're more powerful than I am so I must just accept it's for my own good and keep taking beatings for no reason"

• Registered Users Posts: 28,226 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Well there you are, he doesn't approve of shrines.

bluewolf wrote: »
    If someone keeps beating me and telling me it's for my own good, I don't think "well I dont understand you but you're more powerful than I am so I must just accept it's for my own good and keep taking beatings for no reason"

It might not benefit you at that moment but later on in life you may look back and think I have grown immensely as a person because of that incident. And you will realise it was wrong of you to question God's will or judgement without knowing it's future implications.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

looksee wrote: »
    Well there you are, he doesn't approve of shrines.
    Ahh. That explains why he hasn't actually been healing anyone at any of them. Ever.

It might not benefit you at that moment but later on in life you may look back and think I have grown immensely as a person because of that incident. And you will realise it was wrong of you to question God's will or judgement without knowing it's future implications.

Or it was random chance and I used it to grow as a person all by myself.

What bizarre twisted logic you use

Everything that happens in this world is Gods will
    so if i have a hand shandy while watching reruns of 'countdown' where carol vorderman was wearing a particularly revealing dress, it's god's hand guiding me, so to speak?

• Advertisement

So someone beating you is for your own good and you should just put up with it?

Tell me, were you beaten as a child? Because that's a very queer attitude to take. It sounds like Stockholm syndrome or Battered Wife syndrome to me...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

so if i have a hand shandy while watching reruns of 'countdown' where carol vorderman was wearing a particularly revealing dress, it's god's hand guiding me, so to speak?
    I'd say a nine-letter word in the allotted time would be more convincing evidence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Dades wrote: »
    I'd say a nine-letter word in the allotted time would be more convincing evidence.
    god bless the internet.

l.jpg

I do not understand your meaning?
    kylith wrote: »
    So someone beating you is for your own good and you should just put up with it?

Tell me, were you beaten as a child? Because that's a very queer attitude to take.

Yes I was beaten as a child but the person who was responsible, God rest their soul, was correct in saying that they were doing it for my own good and now I can look back and say they were correct. I have grown and learnt many a lesson because of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

352naz.jpg

Yes I was beaten as a child but the person who was responsible, God rest their soul, was correct in saying that they were doing it for my own good and now I can look back and say they were correct. I have grown and learnt many a lesson because of them.

I am very sorry that you were beaten, and very sorry that you have yet to understand that that was abusive behaviour. It is never acceptable to strike a child.

Everything that happens in this world is Gods will and to question it is futile. We will simply never understand his reasoning but we must trust that in the end it will have been for our good.

I really don't know where to start....

Don't you really mean 'asking questions may lead to answers that will rattle the foundations of my faith based view of everything?'

Your faith based view of everything is built on sand, and the tide is coming in. I suppose the discussion of a flood is rather apt in this instance...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Now, i'm not judging you (only god can do that apparently!) and i have "entertained" myself to some strange accompaniments. But re-runs of countdown? Really? That's just plain wrong.....i mean, the new girl is even hotter than Carol!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,966 ✭✭✭Patser

how do we know that the cave was not going to collapse on everyone inside, so by creating flooding, god was preventing greater misery? eh?

We'll know when the cave is emptied of water and it doesn't collapse. Simple test of your theory there.

Advertisement