Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saint pope John Paul II sealed by miracle that will 'amaze the world'

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Used to be just becoming pope meant you were automatically a saint. The whole things a terrible mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,397 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Nodin wrote: »
    ...sure who doesn't like a toasted heretic of an evening?

Well I had one yesterday and I just know I wouldn't be able to handle another this evening

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Penn wrote: »
    Well I had one yesterday and I just know I wouldn't be able to handle another this evening

Light-weight. No sainthood for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

And they say its not a personality cult.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭legspin

Nodin wrote: »
    ...sure who doesn't like a toasted heretic of an evening?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=popslMUM_mE

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

A lot of them were not very nice:eek:

Even saints like Sir Thomas Moore who I was thought in school was a great man because he never betrayed his conscience(true) but they left out about his fondness for burning heretics at the stake.

Or ripping the bed sheets off his sleeping daughters to show their naked bodies to men he was trying to marry them off to.

I read it in the introduction to my (sadly lost) Penguin edition of Utopia.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

iDave wrote: »
    I know people who prayed to JP2. They still died of cancer
    That was outside the policy, should have read the documents.
    ie. small print.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

iDave wrote: »
    I know people who prayed to JP2. They still died of cancer

He answered their prayers. He said NO.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Yay it's a miracle people. You see this woman? She prayed to John Paul II to stop her from being fast tracked to heaven and instead continue her trials here on Earth. She has been given possibly years of new opportunities to fail her extended trial and end up in hell for eternity. Blessed is she.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭LashingLady

It's an absolute joke. I couldn't believe when I read about the beatification - the French nun whose cancer was cured by JP2. I assumed she had visited him before he died and he put his hand on her head or something, but then I read - she prayed to him just after he died and her cancer was cured - are you f***ing kidding me??

C'mon who honestly believes this stuff??

I was having coffee with workmates one day - all at least 30, and the conversation turned to something that had been lost - these adults all started discussing the miracle of praying to St Anthony to find lost things - "always works!", hmmmm ever try not praying and just looking?

There's no arguing, let them off, whatever, just try really hard to keep your kids out of their schools. My son did Junior Infants in a catholic school and thankfully is moving to an ET this year. Learning to "genuflect" was on the plan for 4 and 5 year olds. I cried with joy when we got the ET place. I'm sure it won't be perfect but at least we'll be able to introduce some objectivity to the whole learning about belief systems....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

It's an absolute joke. I couldn't believe when I read about the beatification - the French nun whose cancer was cured by JP2. I assumed she had visited him before he died and he put his hand on her head or something, but then I read - she prayed to him just after he died and her cancer was cured - are you f***ing kidding me??
    If you like that you'll get some kick out of the Miracle of the Herring! Not PJP, but lol-worthy all the same.
    I was having coffee with workmates one day - all at least 30, and the conversation turned to something that had been lost - these adults all started discussing the miracle of praying to St Anthony to find lost things - "always works!", hmmmm ever try not praying and just looking?
    I'll admit to making use of Anto, but it's obviously just a method of focussing the brain.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's one of the more straightforward examples of confirmation bias, a useful way to introduce the concept if you ever find yourself in that discussion with a religious person.
    Of course with St Anthony it seems to "always work" because if you lose something, the chances are it's dropped within a few metres of you and you will find again.

I bet when someone loses something overboard at sea, they never pray to St Anthony, because they know there's no way it's coming back. They probably consider it good luck or something...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

seamus wrote: »
    It's one of the more straightforward examples of confirmation bias, a useful way to introduce the concept if you ever find yourself in that discussion with a religious person.
    Of course with St Anthony it seems to "always work" because if you lose something, the chances are it's dropped within a few metres of you and you will find again.

I bet when someone loses something overboard at sea, they never pray to St Anthony, because they know there's no way it's coming back. They probably consider it good luck or something...

IIRC if you lose something it's because it 'wasn't for you' because 'God works in mysterious ways'. There may also be a smidgen of 'He took it to give you something better', but that may have just been my parents trying to calm me down after I lost my necklace and Anto came up empty-handed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

I pray to St Boniface (the patron saint of parking spaces)
    When I'm in town in need of a parking space I pray

"Boniface, Boniface - help me find a parking space"

Usually works (eventually - after driving around the block a number of times)

I must say this prayer works better earlier in the morning - (Boniface knocks off early now - he's not getting any younger you know)

Does that count as a miracle? - even if its 3pm on Xmas Eve???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭mr lee

let them have their makey upy saint,the rest of their ****e is made up so why not this.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭LashingLady

mr lee wrote: »
    let them have their makey upy saint,the rest of their ****e is made up so why not this.

Of course you're right, and I don't know why I get so exercised about this as it's neither here nor there in the grand scheme of things...

Although maybe it is because there are so many of "them". They don't go on about it all too much to be honest. The times I feel my blood boiling is when I am sitting in the pews at friends weddings and the priest starts congratulating them for choosing "the Christian marriage" - as if my husband and I are any less of a loving married couple because we did not choose "the Christian marriage", or that we love our children any less because we are not "bringing them to God through baptism". They always have to get the dig in that there can be "no love without god" - simple statement but heinous insult to those who do not believe....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭mr lee

the one that really annoys me is 'if its gods will',
    to me that implies god has control of what happens on earth,
    so lets forget about all the starving people in the world as long as we can raise enough money to tarmac the church car park,
    'if its gods will'

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

mr lee wrote: »
    the one that really annoys me is 'if its gods will',
    to me that implies god has control of what happens on earth,
    so lets forget about all the starving people in the world as long as we can raise enough money to tarmac the church car park,
    'if its gods will'

You're forgetting the most important part about gods will,

Don't question it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

In the immortal words of Homer Simpson

I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman.

I'm having the best day of my life, and I owe it all to not going to Church!

But Marge, what if we chose the wrong religion? Each week we just make God madder and madder.

Dear Lord.. The gods have been good to me. For the first time in my life, everything is absolutely perfect just the way it is. So here's the deal: You freeze everything the way it is, and I won't ask for anything more. If that is OK, please give me absolutely no sign. OK, deal.

And my absolute favorite

I'm not a bad guy! I work hard, and I love my kids. So why should I spend half my Sunday hearing about how I'm going to Hell? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

I love this one. Marge is trying to get Homer up for church.

Marge: Come one Homer, the Lord only asks for an hour a week.

Homer (grumbles): Then he shoulda made the week an hour longer!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

My favourite is "if the bible has taught is anything, which it hasn't,..."

MrP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Lisa really needs a lookin here.

* *Lisa*: Ugh! Those morons make me so angry!
    * *Marge*: Maybe so, but I'd appreciate it if you didn't call them morons.
    * *Lisa*: But they are morons! What kind of grown person could believe in angels?
    * *Marge*: Well, your mother for one.
    * *Lisa*: You? But you're an intelligent person, Mom.
    * *Marge*: There has to be more to life than just what we see, Lisa. If you can't take a leap of faith every once in a while, well, then I feel sorry for you.
    * *Lisa*: Don't feel sorry for me mom, I feel sorry for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,333 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Surely knowing about ongoing paedophilia in the church cancels out at least one of the miracles...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Surely knowing about ongoing paedophilia in the church cancels out at least one of the miracles...
    Well, mastering the cognitive dissonance that must come with knowing about the pedophilia while also claiming to be the worlds foremost moral authority, in my opinion, is pretty miraculous. Not sure how far we can play tit for tat with it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Its all part of gods plan and he only causes suffering on people because they are strong enough to handle it.

I would hate to be working in medicine. Spend years working hard and being the top of your class to have someone else take the credit. I only spent 10 hours giving life saving surgery but yeah, thank god or a dead pope.

Nobody ever looks at a circuit i built and thanks a deity. Well I might when it actually works minutes before a project is due.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭crazy cabbage

Nobody ever looks at a circuit i built and thanks a deity.
    I do... :( do i not count?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Zen65

Penn wrote: »
    So, rather than praying to God, Jesus, Virgin Mary, the current Pope, whatever existing saints are the patron saints of illnesses or brains or whatever, they prayed only to a dead Pope.

"It's not WHAT you know Ted, it's WHO you know"

(Can't find a YouTube link)

Z

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

MrPudding wrote: »
    My favourite is "if the bible has taught is anything, which it hasn't,..."

MrP

"and talk about a preachy book! EVERYONE'S a sinner!...except this guy..."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ironingbored

I was slightly disappointed to realise that canonisation didn't actually mean someone would be fired from a canon :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Is there any evidence that JP2 knew about the abuse?

Advertisement