Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couldn't find appropriate thread to put this.... OMG

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Foyler

For Paws wrote: »
    Would argue that he was committed. Could he have avoided the player ?
    Maybe not, but he continued to hit the player full force.
    He was clearly late.
    He hasn't even reached the guy before the pass is on it's way to the scorer.
    (Then 2 defenders make an abject attempt to stop the scorer touching down).

Try imagining the tackler hitting a winger like that after the winger has kicked to chase.
    It would clearly be called late.
    Only the subsequent events (the try) mask the poor judgment involved.

Agreed, got my final serious concussion from a cheap shot hit just like this, giving the final pass in the 80th minute of a game that was already won.
    Was out for about a minute and it was a contributory factor to me retiring from the game.
    The perpetrator who'd been moved from opposite me in the centre to fullback after failing to make a decent tackle all day didn't even have the guts/ manners to wait around to see if I woke up or clap us off the pitch, but ran off to the dressing room (Luckily for him!).
    I love big hits but when you're blindsiding someone who's released the ball, its a cheapshot end of...

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Klunk_NZ

The Aussie wrote: »
    But with harder hits than you just creamed over........

At a schoolboy level not many hits come harder then that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

Klunk_NZ wrote: »
    At a schoolboy level not many hits cheap shots come harder then that.

: Fixed.

If your into cheap shots there Bro, it says more about you than me..... OMG :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

At a schoolboy level not many hits come harder then that.

the hit was late on a small guy - a young Dominic Ryan for instance used to make more spectacular and braver hits

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

thebaz wrote: »
    the hit was late on a small guy - a young Dominic Ryan for instance used to make more spectacular and braver hits
    And from the side ... so it looked a LOT bigger than it actually was. All a load of hype really.

• Advertisement

: Fixed.

If your into cheap shots there Bro, it says more about you than me..... OMG :pac:

Losing to the Lions, well going to be another torrid year for Aussie.

Losing to the Lions, well going to be another torrid year for Aussie.

Which has Zero to do with a pointless thread about a cheap shot and blowing it out of proportion while having some fantasy about rep footy.....OMG. :pac:
    I'm still deciding which is more pointless to be honest, your last post or this thread, I will get back to you about it.

Which has Zero to do with a pointless thread about a cheap shot and blowing it out of proportion while having some fantasy about rep footy.....OMG. :pac:
    I'm still deciding which is more pointless to be honest, your last post or this thread, I will get back to you about it.

395056_10151119881480814_1948012064_n.jpg

A rep photo from 2001, when I made counties manukau under 16s. You might notice a certain Allblack captain in their aswell. I played rep cricket with Kez aswell. Top bloke.

And the shot is perfectly legal, he was committed prior to release of the ball.

A rep photo from 2001.

I will just quote myself on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

A rep photo from 2001, when I made counties manukau under 16s. You might notice a certain Allblack captain in their aswell. I played rep cricket with Kez aswell. Top bloke.

PLEASE tell me you're the one with the 'fro.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

Cheap shot? He was totally committed to the tackle, it looked bad but it was perfectly legal

• Subscribers Posts: 41,103 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Committed, legal and hard... Nothing wrong with the tackle.

The only reason it looks bad is because the ten didn't see it coming, thats not the tacklers fault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

.ak wrote: »

No, that's me. In my dreams. The skinny white guy who looks shìt-scared, that's actually me.

.ak wrote: »

Nope, the one to the left!

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Chabals Beard

The idea that a blindside hit is a cheap shot. What else was he going to do? Either not commit and give up a certain try or commit in the hope of the ball carrier knocking on. Good hit and he should be encouraged to do more of the same. I would be more concerned with the poor first line defense and that attempted tackle from the fullback. Also props to the 10 who got up straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

The idea that a blindside hit is a cheap shot. What else was he going to do? Either not commit and give up a certain try or commit in the hope of the ball carrier knocking on. Good hit and he should be encouraged to do more of the same. I would be more concerned with the poor first line defense and that attempted tackle from the fullback. Also props to the 10 who got up straight away.
    It was a late, cheap shot. Yellow card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Piliger wrote: »
    It was a late, cheap shot. Yellow card.

Care to elaborate? Because as it is, you haven't really added anything to the discussion. It's been pointed out that the hit came within less than a second of the pass being made and that the tackler was already committed before the pass was made. Coming from the distance he did, running at the pace he was, with the little time he had; it's unreasonable to expect him to adjust himself in time. It's not as black and white as - he hit him after the pass therefore the tackle was late, because you'll find that that line of logic would lead to countless penalties in a game, assuming you were to be consistent in your judgement regardless of the force of impact.

To put it into perspective, often when a winger kicks ahead and is tackled after kicking, commentators and officials judge whether or not the tackle was "late". If we were to go by your logic, there would be no room for judgement, just a straight penalty every time.

Advertisement