Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couldn't find appropriate thread to put this.... OMG

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭nc6000

Still didn't stop the try being scored. :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

How was that fella's neck after?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

Look, I Know I'm just a big girls blouse, but I really worry when I see that level of physicality in school-age games....as a parent (two boys) I look at something like that and cringe...I'm not an utter jesse myself (used to play in the front row) but don't think I want the 'tacklee' in that clip to be either of mine....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭Nippledragon

Hits like that were regular in Connacht school/underage club rugby during the 90's, seen a few players stretchered off after man and ball hits like that, but to be fair to them, they always came back for more though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

The hit was late anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭For Paws

Cheap shot & well late. Noticed that the 'tackler' gets congratulated by one of his fellow backs even though they have conceded a fairly soft try (where was the big hit on the scorer ?). Looks like retaliation for something earlier in the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,533 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

For Paws wrote: »
    Cheap shot & well late. Noticed that the 'tackler' gets congratulated by one of his fellow backs even though they have conceded a fairly soft try (where was the big hit on the scorer ?). Looks like retaliation for something earlier in the game.

Was just about to say the same. Cheap shot on the wrong man. Pretty soft try in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,016 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

New Zealand certainly don't dominate the rugby landscape on account of their committing cheap cardable fouls and concession of soft tries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Not late or cheap in my opinion. He was committed to the tackle before the ball was passed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭crisco10

Not sure bout anything there, doesn't look too late or hard. The 10 just got blindsided by the winger..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Hagz wrote: »
    Not late or cheap in my opinion. He was committed to the tackle before the ball was passed.

Yup, looked at it a few times and the tackler seems committed before the pass to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

It wouldn't have been nearly as bad for the tackled played if he didn't just stop after passing the ball.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,095 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

simply a case of not seeing the tackle coming and not setting himself....

great tackle technique though

sydthebeat wrote: »
    simply a case of not seeing the tackle coming and not setting himself....

great tackle technique though

The kind of technique that comes from hitting static tackle bags.

Ball has gone, he was late. Doesn't matter if it wasn't intentionally late.

Cheap shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭conf101

Cheap shot.

Surely it can only be a cheap shot if it was intentionally late? If he was committed before the ball went what can he do about it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

He was clearly committed. People tend to let the severity of the impact influence their opinion. If the tackle had been less dramatic, there'd be no debate about it's legality. It's the impact that has people calling it a cheap shot.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,095 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Cheap shot.

disagree... not a cheap shot as he has come from his wing as cover and took the man he lined up... the ball was passed a milli second earlier.

his technique is very good for a smaller player.. he is side on, hits ribs, keeps his head behind the runner and put fulls shoulder into it.

the only reason it looks bad is because the 10 didnt see him coming and couldnt set himself.

if i was the coach however i wouldnt be too happy with the decision making... he had the speed to cover the pass and the 10 never looked like stepping.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

the tackle bag/player that was hit is Kit Fawcett's son (Fawcett played a few times for the AB's back in the 70's)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Big hit but bad defence.

Looks good but was worthless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

This is just ludicrous. In slow mo you can see the twisting and wrenching to key stability muscles in the neck. Only Deep Heat applied for 7 days is curative. Nice run from the flyhalf though, even if he did pay for it somewhat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

Klunk_NZ wrote: »

I would be down for the count if it were me and I've played rep rugby in New Zealand

Play a few seasons of Rugby League and you will soon get used to late cheap shots and the odd honest hard hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,821 ✭✭✭✭JRant

The Aussie wrote: »
    Play a few seasons of Rugby League and you will soon get used to late cheap shots and the odd honest hard hit.

They have to use their arms in the tackle now though, shock horror!

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Big hit but bad defence.

Looks good but was worthless.

While this is true, it's not the fault of the tackler. It's that sort of situation where the hit is even harder out of frustration rather than malice.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Klunk_NZ

The Aussie wrote: »

League is rugbys malnourished cousin with no international spectacles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

There's Lebanon, Klunk-NZ. Don't forget Lebanon, they help increase the number of competitive teams. They're based out of Sydney not Beirut, of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

should take him to court, he's got the video evidence

Teferi wrote: »
    Yup, looked at it a few times and the tackler seems committed before the pass to be honest.

Would argue that he was committed. Could he have avoided the player ?
    Maybe not, but he continued to hit the player full force.
    He was clearly late.
    He hasn't even reached the guy before the pass is on it's way to the scorer.
    (Then 2 defenders make an abject attempt to stop the scorer touching down).

Try imagining the tackler hitting a winger like that after the winger has kicked to chase.
    It would clearly be called late.
    Only the subsequent events (the try) mask the poor judgment involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

But with harder hits than you just creamed over........

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

While this is true, it's not the fault of the tackler. It's that sort of situation where the hit is even harder out of frustration rather than malice.

Huh? If the tackler hadn't rushed into smashing the outhalf he would have noticed the outhalf was going to pass the ball. If he'd been paying more attention or a been a bit more cerebal he could have actually tackled the guy who scored the try!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/oval-talk/astonishing-hit-zealand-schools-match-085102402.html

I would be down for the count if it were me and I've played rep rugby in new zealand.

Rubbish. It was a late, cheap shot, and having played rugby for 12 years I can easily say I have seen and been involved in bigger 'hits' numerous times.

Advertisement