Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Obama Administration - Global Menace

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

Suryavarman, your signature is the following:

"One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation." -Thomas B. Reed

If you are not a fan of legislation, then why live in a democratic nation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭Amerika

Kevster wrote: »

"One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation." -Thomas B. Reed

If he lives in the USA, then he lives in a constitutional republic (also called a democratic republic), which is different than a democratic nation in which majority rules.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭clairefontaine

You need to get your facts straight.

Wikipedia: United States incarceration rate: The incarceration rate in the United States of America is the highest in the world today. As of 2009, the incarceration rate was 743 per 100,000 of national population (0.743%).[2] In comparison, Russia had the second highest, at 577 per 100,000, Canada was 123rd in the world at 117 per 100,000, and China had 120 per 100,000.[2]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_incarceration_rate

To make matters worse USA prisons are predominantly private enterprises producing whats no more than slave labor the majority of inmates being black. In 24 states they have the three strikes law for felonies which would have you behind bars for life.

The American prison system is highly controversial. One might look at it like they are exceptionally good at enforcement.

I totally agree with you about slave labor. It should be abolished and the whole thing needs radical reform.

The private contracts are another expensive controversial mess. Even in the public prisons, the contracts for bedding and uniforms are a mess because if something is federally paid for there are laws which makes it more expensive and anti competitive.

It depresses me greatly that Sesame Street has a new character whose dad is in prison. Congratulations America you just normalised being in prison.

Amerika wrote: »
    If he lives in the USA, then he lives in a constitutional republic (also called a democratic republic), which is different than a democratic nation in which majority rules.

I assumed that he was in any nation where legislation was drawn up as a means to improving society. I used the word 'democratic' very loosely.

Thanks for your comment, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭esteve

I assumed that he was in any nation where legislation was drawn up as a means to improving society.

Obama spearheaded and got passed the Monsanto Protection Act right under everybodys noses. I am still at lenghts to understand how this at all improves society. It is extremely clear though how this benefits and protects the interests of a select few.

• Advertisement

I never understood how any form of government improved society, in the long term. Things move in cycles and civilisations come and go. I'm not for legislation, but merely posed a question to the other chap.

In my view, it's simply an impossible thing to do to please every human being in a society. It's made ever more difficult when you are talking about a large nation of millions of people, but less difficult when it's a small [nation].

I just look after myself and don't expect much from my government. They can make the laws and I'll deal with them. If I grow too discontented, then I'll move to another nation. That's what I have been doing so far in my life.

Kevin

I can't believe Michael Hastings died a month ago. The Operators was a quality read.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

I can't believe Michael Hastings died a month ago. The Operators was a quality read.

Very strange death too. He had contacted a wiki leaks lawyer the night before to tell them the FBI was monitoring him. Have not heard anything more from it since it happened.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭renegademaster

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    Very strange death too. He had contacted a wiki leaks lawyer the night before to tell them the FBI was monitoring him. Have not heard anything more from it since it happened.

strange to some maybe

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 135 ✭✭ThreeBlindMice

esteve wrote: »
    Obama spearheaded and got passed the Monsanto Protection Act right under everybodys noses. I am still at lenghts to understand how this at all improves society. It is extremely clear though how this benefits and protects the interests of a select few.

Remember this one back in 2007.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭Suryavarman

Citing Wikipedia! - clever man...

Wikipedia is a highly accurate website despite what some people would have you believe. Nonetheless, the BBC agrees.
    Actually, I wouldn't care if they had cameras in my house. It'd catch any burglar trying to steal my stuff.

Cameras don't catch burglars, the police do. The cameras aren't going to be much help in catching a balaclava wearing burglar doing their business in the middle of the night. Especially if they take out the cameras before breaking in.
    I didn't stay in America - I left for many reasons, one being it's a messed up nation. Plus - and actually - I visited 6 of the largest cities in China and liked the experience. Yes, there were times when you felt police officers / secret service watching you, but at least that keeps you in check.

Interesting to note that you say visited and not emigrated. China not enough of a police state for you? Decided to opt for a bit of North Korean style security?

Apparently it doesn't keep the murderers in check considering that China has a homicide rate comparable to most of Europe.

All states pass legislation. I'm not sure why you specify democratic ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭esteve

Remember this one back in 2007.

I was slightly swayed by Obamas blind rhetoric, his acceptance speech upon hearing he had won the election in that park in Chicago. Then it became clear that it was just business as usual, all that talk about change is almost laughable now, if all this werent so serious.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 135 ✭✭ThreeBlindMice

TheSB wrote: »
    Now it appears his administration is cracking down on journalists. Michael Hastings the journalist who brought down General McChrystal was pettrified the government was after him:

We now learn that Michael Hastings body was cremated against his family's wishes.

This is appalling considering that cremation would both destroy any vital evidence also from a religious point of view himself nor his family may have wanted this type service.

Advertisement