Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lego: The movie [2014]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

tunguska wrote: »
    I was gonna go see this at the weekend, its playing in cineworld saturday evening(8:30pm I think). I really want to avoid a theatre full of kids and Im thinking the lateness of the show should see to that, but in peoples experience will a show even as late as that be full of kids?

I went to the 8.30 there yesterday and there was not a single child in the auditorium.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Who did the song of everything is awesome for the movie? The one on youtube sounds different.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

cloud493 wrote: »
    Who did the song of everything is awesome for the movie? The one on youtube sounds different.

Sara & Tegan feat Lonely Island is the one that plays over the end credits but when I listened on YouTube it defo didn't sound as awesome. Maybe there's a different version on the soundtrack or something

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

Brought my 6 year old son to this yesterday and we both loved it. The end section was slightly over sentemental, but Kudos to the makers... Very clever and well written.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

DrumSteve wrote: »
    I went to the 8.30 there yesterday and there was not a single child in the auditorium.

Cool thanks. Looking forward to it, not normally a fan of animated movies but I really wanna see this for some reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,866 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Mate drove us all to the pub after, issued the warning "If anyone thinks about singing THAT song in my car, I will forcefully remove them, reverse the car over them, and they shall not be joining us in the pub."

I seriously hope that was the que to start singing together at the top of your voices!

Just back from it, and typically the latest showing here in Waterford was 7.30pm (3D, 6pm for 2D). Unfortunately, this took away from the experience, too many kids there with the usual noise they bring. And someone had to get up and tell the staff to turn off the lights in the screen about 5 minutes into the movie.

Other than that, it was an awesome movie (I'll get my coat). The throw backs, the slapstick and subtle humour, the crossovers, it was all brilliant. Granted, it had some less exciting parts, and was a bit hyper at times, but overall one of the best movies i'm likely to see this year.

As for the 3D, if you're a fan of 3D then this film does it very well, imo. I will be going to see it again in 2D, just for comparison, but not until it's in it's last week and preferably during the day when kids should be at school.

9.5/10

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,967 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Eminently entertaining film that obeys the formula for true success in any kids movie: make sure there's plenty of decent humour for the adults too. And while many gags probably passed over kids' heads, even the visual, slapstick humour was spot-on and well crafted.

While I do agree the pacing was hyperactive and breakneck to a fault - but this seems like a common issue with many kids' films these days - the line of gags was equally constant and more often than not they hit the mark, making it easier to forgave the ludicrous speed at which things happened. And while the story had the same kind of clichéd messages we've seen a dozen times before on the nature of heroism, that even the most apparently insignificant of us can be great & rise to any challenge, there was just enough snark and knowing self-deprecation to get away with it.

Ultimately though, while there are little anarchic nods here and there and the film does seem to possess deeper notions on the nature of Lego as a free-form toy for creativity vs. it being a series of rigid instructions, I believe it does the movie a disservice to over-analyse: sometimes it should be enough to simply acknowledge that a film entertained on a basic, fundamental level: I had fun. I laughed. I walked out of the cinema with a smile and a spring in my step. That should qualify it a success on any barometer of cinema and frankly, I'd happily see this again. More please :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

How common is it for animated movie DVDs to have the option to watch the movie with in-screen video footage of the voice performances?

Because they really really should offer it as an extra for the upcoming release of this movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭paddyh117

Saw this with my 5 year old Niece last week - she liked it, but I loved it!!

The best movie I've seen in quite a while.

I have to go against the grain a little here and say I didnt think it was great. I mean it was well made and its heart was in the right place but I found that it just sagged and dragged a bit. Then again Im not the target audience, its a kids film after all and I reckon kids will love it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

tunguska wrote: »
    I was gonna go see this at the weekend, its playing in cineworld saturday evening(8:30pm I think). I really want to avoid a theatre full of kids and Im thinking the lateness of the show should see to that, but in peoples experience will a show even as late as that be full of kids?

I saw it last weekend, saturday at 17:50 and there was ONE child in the audience, suffice it to say I think more adults are going to this! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Myself and the girlfriend went to see it the day it was released, packed cinema and only 2 kids there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

Going to be watching this later and Im happy to see the amount of glowing reviews here!

IvaBigWun wrote: »
    Going to be watching this later and Im happy to see the amount of glowing reviews here!

Why not support the filmmakers rather than downloading it, especially one which has been so well received.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Why not support the filmmakers rather than downloading it, especially one which has been so well received.

He's rebelling against Mr Business ;)

Theres still cinemas showing it sure.

Says the man who told me how to watch Netflix region free by PM.

Who said anything about watching the Lego Movie illegally?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,218 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Take this to PM folks, let's not drag another thread down with this sort of pettiness!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

This is an excellent movie, great voice acting, smart writing with jokes for all ages in there. Its a credit to its director, producers, screenwriters and animators to put together a movie which has been so widely praised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Saw it twice at the cinema with the kids, excellent film. Will the downside of its success be a longer wait for the Bluray as it's still doing business at the cinema? Is there a release date for the home release yet?

• Advertisement

Saw it twice at the cinema with the kids, excellent film. Will the downside of its success be a longer wait for the Bluray as it's still doing business at the cinema? Is there a release date for the home release yet?

It's out on DVD and Blu-Ray here on the 18 of July and in the US on the 17 of June.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

It's out on DVD and Blu-Ray here on the 18 of July and in the US on the 17 of June.

Perfect, just in time for a birthday. I was going to say awesome but that's too sad even for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

I'd recommend that people import the Everything Is Awesome version from USA far better than whats getting released in the UK/Ireland market.

Well that was a different, quirky and at times great watch ;)

It led me to watching 21 Jump Street as it had the same directors. Id been avoiding the latter as it looked dire on paper, but - again - a very pleasant and funny surprise!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

That's the best film I've seen in I don't know how long. It's awesome:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Was really looking forward to this movie but after 10 mins I was really disappointed, but said I would give it more time. I turned it off after 50 mins. Can't believe so many people like it, it's just not funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Was really looking forward to this movie but after 10 mins I was really disappointed, but said I would give it more time. I turned it off after 50 mins. Can't believe so many people like it, it's just not funny.

YES!

I was so underwhelmed by it, so many people praising it, saying its hilarious, and it was just not that funny. Batman gave me a few laughs (more like chuckles) and Good/bad cop fella, that was pretty much it.

I found the likes of Toy story, wall E and Monsters inc alot funnier :/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

nix wrote: »
    YES!

I was so underwhelmed by it, so many people praising it, saying its hilarious, and it was just not that funny. Batman gave me a few laughs (more like chuckles) and Good/bad cop fella, that was pretty much it.

I found the likes of Toy story, wall E and Monsters inc alot funnier :/

I cringed when Liam Neeson did the good cop voice. The films pace is way too fast. It briefly slows down in the Wild West but then off we go on another chase scene. It looks beautiful but there's hardly any time to take it in. I was really looking forward to it, and 10 mins in my gf said this is not great is it and I sadly had to agree with her. I honestly think anyone who liked it was sucked in by the everything is awesome song at the start because that is the highlight of the film and the only thing people talk about.

Ditto. Went in thinking it was gonna be fun but it was boring and repetitive. Batman was good but other than that it was forced and fell flat.

• Advertisement

I still think its funny. Not as funny as 22 jump street (made by the same guys) or the grand budapest hotel.

Advertisement