Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lego: The movie [2014]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Cale

That looks like the movie equivalent in terms of fun as a waterslide park!

Can't wait for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Looks fun but you know it'll be full of the (officially incorrect) Americanism "LegoS" and that makes my bloody eyeball itch every time I hear it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

No it won'! Lego are making the movie...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

This reminds me, I've been meaning to buy some of the Lego games on the Mac App Store.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,972 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

1980s something Spaceman! I had loads of those guys, and just like the trailer, their helmets kept snapping haha :D

Could be fun, so long as there's enough humour for the adults old enough to remember the 'good old days' of Lego. If it's just AN Other hyperactive kids flick, I'll be staying well clear.

Also: Will Arnett as the voice of Batman? Why has nobody else ever thought of this before? :eek::)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Charlie Day & Alison Brie too? This sounds ****ing amazing to the child inside me (so basically just me)

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭abbir

That looks brilliant. Can't wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Eh, there's already been a whole heap of Lego movies...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,349 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

there's even been a film about how Lego started

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Hello5

Does anyone know if the lego movie sets are out in stores yet??. I know that smyths are getting them in on the 18th of jan. But is there any stores at the moment that have them in or any of the 2014 lego sets??.
    Thx.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,485 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Sleepy wrote: »

Yeah but the hero's name was never Emmet in any of them...which I must say is probably the coolest name in the world!!! (I'm exhibiting no bias based on my actual name here :P)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,866 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Sleepy wrote: »

True, but all specific to the series it was promoting (Bionicle, Clutch Power, Star Wars, Hero Factory) but this is a generic movie, not aimed at a particular genre in the Legoverse.

And it looks AWESOME!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

There was a Lego Justice League movie!
    Based on the Lego Batman 2 game I think, it was great!
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2465238/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

True, but all specific to the series it was promoting (Bionicle, Clutch Power, Star Wars, Hero Factory) but this is a generic movie, not aimed at a particular genre in the Legoverse.

And it looks AWESOME!!!

The great thing about using characters from all its genres, including 1980's spacemen, is most collectors already have some of the characters to play with.

Surprising lack of Marvel characters in the video.

Official trailer btw:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZ_JOBCLF-I

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

syklops wrote: »
    Surprising lack of Marvel characters in the video.

Not really surprising given that it is a Warner Bros. film and they own DC :)

Not really surprising given that it is a Warner Bros. film and they own DC :)

This is where I don't get licensing(or secretly do get it). Lego make Marvel Lego figures and toys. So why not allow them to include them in the film? Nothing but good publicity, right?

If Lego was good enough for Marvel(WB) to make toys out of, why exclude them from one of the biggest(arguably) movie events of the year?

Am I the only one who finds it irritating?

Mildly irritating.

I wonder is my generic 1980s Spaceman figure worth anything now its a movie star.

If Lego was good enough for Marvel(WB) to make toys out of, why exclude them from one of the biggest(arguably) movie events of the year?

Am I the only one who finds it irritating?

Marvel is owned by Disney, DC is owned by Warner Bros. LEGO managed to secure licenses from both to produce the toys, but the film is being produced by Warner Bros., nothing to do with LEGO directly - and WB obviously wouldn't (and/or couldn't) put characters from its child company's biggest rivals in the film.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

no doubt disney will greenlight another lego movie, lego make both marvel and dc computer games and paysets, so why not marvel and dc films,

don ramo wrote: »
    no doubt disney will greenlight another lego movie, lego make both marvel and dc computer games and paysets, so why not marvel and dc films,

Thats my conundrum.

Saw some tricycle type things parked in front of the Stephens Green Shopping Centre today advertising the move.

Really looking forward to it.

Thats my conundrum.

Is nobody reading my posts? :( The movie is being made by Warner Bros., not Disney.

Anyway, the early reviews are overwhelmingly positive for this. Here is one from Variety: http://variety.com/2014/film/reviews/film-review-the-lego-movie-1201082797/

Also, Warner Bros. seem pretty confident about how it will perform at the box office - a sequel is already in the works:

http://screencrush.com/lego-movie-sequel/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Mizu_Ger

Also, Warner Bros. seem pretty confident about how it will perform at the box office - a sequel is already in the works:

http://screencrush.com/lego-movie-sequel/

I've often wondered if studios greenlighting sequels to films that haven't even been released yet is a marketing ploy. A way of telling everyone how brilliant this new film is going to be (or am I being too cynical?).

Is nobody reading my posts? :( The movie is being made by Warner Bros., not Disney.
    but why cant disney make their own lego movie, its not like lego is tied exclusively to warner bros, like i said they already make avengers lego play sets, and have made avengers lego computer games, so they obviously have a working relationship with disney, i see no reason disney couldnt make their own lego movie,

Mizu_Ger wrote: »
    I've often wondered if studios greenlighting sequels to films that haven't even been released yet is a marketing ploy. A way of telling everyone how brilliant this new film is going to be (or am I being too cynical?).
    nope your spot on, it is a marketing ploy, but if the film in a success the sequel goes ahead anyway, if the film bombs most studios tend to cancel the plans,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭conorhal

10/10 on Rottentomatoes. Would not have imagined in my wildest dreams that the highest rated movie of the year would be a toy tie in kids movie!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭maximoose

Just booked tickets for Sunday, can't wait!

The OH thinks we are going to see Dallas Buyers Club. Hopefully she doesn't realize until the film starts :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

but why cant disney make their own lego movie, its not like lego is tied exclusively to warner bros, like i said they already make avengers lego play sets, and have made avengers lego computer games, so they obviously have a working relationship with disney, i see no reason disney couldnt make their own lego movie,

Perhaps there is only one set of film rights of which WB got their hands on and no other studio can produce a Lego film ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

they already make avengers lego play sets, and have made avengers lego computer games, so they obviously have a working relationship with disney
    Having a 'working relationship' with a production company, and having an actual contract with that company are two completely different things. Just because Lego works with Disney on some projects doesn't mean they have to work with them on everything. If they want to give/sell the rights to a Lego movie to WB then it's their choice

As for the decision not to include any Marvel characters, I can see why WB would do so, and I can see why Lego would allow it. Let's face it, this movie, its sets and Lego in general are aimed at kids. Do you think the average kid would know the difference between Marvel and DC? Do you think they'd care that one is included while the other isn't? For a kid, promoting one is essentially promoting them all

Daemos wrote: »
    Having a 'working relationship' with a production company, and having an actual contract with that company are two completely different things. Just because Lego works with Disney on some projects doesn't mean they have to work with them on everything. If they want to give/sell the rights to a Lego movie to WB then it's their choice

As for the decision not to include any Marvel characters, I can see why WB would do so, and I can see why Lego would allow it. Let's face it, this movie, its sets and Lego in general are aimed at kids. Do you think the average kid would know the difference between Marvel and DC? Do you think they'd care that one is included while the other isn't? For a kid, promoting one is essentially promoting them all

You dont give kids much credit. I knew the difference between DC characters and Marvel characters when I was 6 and maybe earlier. And that was in 2 TV channel, no internet, rural Ireland.

Also, as stated, Marvel are the biggest rivals of DC, so it would be a ridiculously bad business decision for Warner Bros. to promote its characters and help drive Marvel/Disney sales.

Anyway, bizarrely there is only one showing of this in Cork Omniplex on Friday, at 23:20 :confused: No idea what's going there - it's surely not sold out already at the earlier times?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭maximoose

This weekend is just the advance screenings, don't think it officially opens until the 14th so that's probably why there's only one showing. Although that is strangely late...

Advertisement