Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fluoride in tap water

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭seanie_c

King Mob wrote: »
    And for millions of years humans had shorter lifespans and were more prone to water borne diseases.

So what?

Old people are miserable for a good reason, they don't want to live anymore.

Industrialization fooled them into thinking working hard would reward them, only to end up poor and depending on the state to look after them.

Industrialization is slavery, nothing more.
    That's not the only reason why we need to chlorinate water.

To kill people faster?
    You are really just proving my points for me and embarrassing the people objecting to fluoridation.

No, you're embarrassing yourself quite well.
    Every single person I know drinks tap water.
    All 5 of them in a world with 7 billion people.

alastair wrote: »
    You know, I'd never noticed that distinction. I must have been drinking too much of that devil's tap water. :rolleyes:

More like you've nothing else to do, except visit the local swimming pool ....which is understandable given the nature of your business.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

seanie_c wrote: »
    More like you've nothing else to do, except visit the local swimming pool ....which is understandable given the nature of your business.

I've a vision for the near future... I'm seeing a short posting lifespan for this account.

Mod: Banned. I'm seeing a shorter posting lifespan for you on this forum if you continue being needlessly antagonistic and sarcastic to other users.

I've a vision for the near future... I'm seeing a short posting lifespan for this account.

Nothing else to say then?

Do what you do best. Cry, like a baby.

Industrialization is slavery

The majority of the world is not industrialised. Waterborne disease is the primary killer of people. Disinfection of water is the solution to that problem. Unless the entire world can take their water from your mate's singular well, without any need for a distribution system, then we're faced with that ongoing problem.

• Advertisement

Nothing else to say then?

Do what you do best. Cry, like a baby.

Reported post.

I'd start thinking up a new username - this one clearly isn't going to last.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,448 ✭✭✭weisses

No-one claimed water caused tooth decay. Poor diet and dental hygiene cause tooth decay. In the absence of change in those two areas, fluoride helps stop tooth decay.

Sugar is the main culprit

If the majority of people weren't so self-destructive in their behavior/ eating habits .... the Minority wouldn't have to put up with mass medication and such

weisses wrote: »

If the majority of people weren't so self-destructive in their behavior/ eating habits .... the Minority wouldn't have to put up with mass medication and such

If your uncle was a woman he'd be your aunt.

The majority of the world is not industrialised. Waterborne disease is the primary killer of people. Disinfection of water is the solution to that problem. Unless the entire world can take their water from your mate's singular well, without any need for a distribution system, then we're faced with that ongoing problem.

If a construction company is given permission to tap into a water mains unsupervised and leaves it open for animals (cats/dogs/rats) to enter (unintentionally)

Clearly, the water becomes polluted and will lead to sickness among people drinking tap water.

In my own town, the water supply was perfect for 20 years until a cat got stuck in a pipe. Since then, the tap water smells like bleech and is unpleasant to drink.

If a farmer pours fertilizer over a field beside a river, inevitably, those chemicals will get into the river and kill the fish.

Most rivers that were alive with fish 20 years ago are now dead, thanks to human stupidity.

The chlorination is because of poor planning in Ireland, nothing else.

Reported post.

I'd start thinking up a new username - this one clearly isn't going to last.

Reported for what?

Do you call the police every time someone upsets you?

• Advertisement

In my own town, the water supply was perfect for 20 years until a cat got stuck in a pipe.

It might be news to you, but it was chlorinated for those 20 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Hatfry

If a construction company is given permission to tap into a water mains unsupervised and leaves it open for animals (cats/dogs/rats) to enter (unintentionally)

Clearly, the water becomes polluted and will lead to sickness among people drinking tap water.

In my own town, the water supply was perfect for 20 years until a cat got stuck in a pipe. Since then, the tap water smells like bleech and is unpleasant to drink.

If a farmer pours fertilizer over a field beside a river, inevitably, those chemicals will get into the river and kill the fish.

Most rivers that were alive with fish 20 years ago are now dead, thanks to human stupidity.

The chlorination is because of poor planning in Ireland, nothing else.
    Spot on man.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Hatfry

Reported for what?

Do you call the police every time someone upsets you?
    For making him cry like a baby :)

It might be news to you, but it was chlorinated for those 20 years.

You don't know where I live.

Chlorination of water in my town didn't happen until 2008 when a dead cat was found in a pipe from a construction site leading to the main supply.

I've bought water filters and a distiller because the smell is so bad, you don't want to drink it.

The government want people to pay for water they can't even bear to drink.

Hatfry wrote: »
    For making him cry like a baby :)

I've no doubt I'll get some kind of warning from the mods for my comments.

You don't know where I live.

You live in Ireland. All town water schemes in Ireland have been chlorinated for generations.

Tooth decay is definitely down to diet more than anything.

In "developing" countries, some people still have a full set of teeth well into their 40s and 50s despite no access to dentistry.

No mouthwash, No toothpaste, No flossing, No visits to the dentist, No fluoride in their water...

It comes down to the diet.

Some foods are more acidic than others and those acidic foods erode the teeth, not to mention causing other health problems, the most obvious one being acidic reflux which humans decide to solve with Gaviscon.

You live in Ireland. All town water schemes in Ireland have been chlorinated for generations.

That's BS.

I can still visit towns in Ireland where there's no fluoridation or chlorination in the water...people there are perfectly fine because they aren't living off the main supply.

You need to get out more, Living in Dublin too long has made you ignorant of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,448 ✭✭✭weisses

Luckily it was ...It was the main reason for me not to drink it at first, ...Mainly because i don't like to drink water that smells like the toilet cleaner we use.

That's BS.

I can still visit towns in Ireland where there's no fluoridation or chlorination in the water...people there are perfectly fine because they aren't living off the main supply.

You need to get out more, Living in Dublin too long has made you ignorant of the world.

You need to acquaint yourself with the legal obligations on public and group water schemes - even outside Dublin. They're all chlorinated.

• Advertisement

Luckily it was ...It was the main reason for me not to drink it at first, ...Mainly because i don't like to drink water that smells like the toilet cleaner we use.

Well, if you're implying all water in Ireland was chlorinated for generations, I have to disagree based on my travels throughout various counties and my own home town in particular.

I drank water in my home town growing up and it was beautiful to drink.
    It was only when a cat got stuck in the pipe of a local construction site did it turn to muck.

I also witnessed the decline of fish in local rivers which are now no more than unregulated sewers for homes approved by the local councils.

In some places where water comes from a well, there are no additional chemicals added and the people drinking from that water are perfectly fine.

You need to acquaint yourself with the legal obligations on public and group water schemes - even outside Dublin. They're all chlorinated.

Alastair, the world doesn't revolve around Dublin.

People still get their water from wells, regulated or not.

Just as farmers continue to pollute rivers and leave them dead.

Walk down a river in my town during lambing season and you'll see plenty of bags with dead lambs.

Journey to the local sewerage and see unprocessed waste entering the river...you'll even smell it.

Well, if you're implying all water in Ireland was chlorinated for generations, I have to disagree based on my travels throughout various counties and my own home town in particular.

I drank water in my home town growing up and it was beautiful to drink.

I know this might come as a surprise, but your ability to taste chlorine in water isn't the best guide as to whether the scheme is chlorinated. All public and group schemes are legally required to chlorinate. The levels of chlorine are variable, depending on the degree of pollution in the water. Sometimes you can taste the chlorine, usually not.

I know this might come as a surprise, but your ability to taste chlorine in water isn't the best guide as to whether the scheme is chlorinated. All public and group schemes are legally required to chlorinate. The levels of chlorine are variable, depending on the degree of pollution in the water. Sometimes you can taste the chlorine, usually not.

I can assure you, the water I drank wasn't chlorinated until a cat died inside a pipe on a local construction site 5 years ago.

You can visit various towns in Ireland where water still isn't chlorinated and that's the way it's always been.

Locals build up a tolerance for the water but outsiders will initially get sick, just like you're abroad.

Irish Laws mean very little outside of Dublin and major towns/cities.

I was on a CIE bus once that had to reverse and take a different route because some locals decided to dig up the road in order to lay some drainage pipes.

(I walked a mile from where bus stopped, but it had 10 miles to travel for other passengers)

They don't care about laws and there's nobody around to enforce them.

Council did nothing.

Irish Laws mean very little outside of Dublin and major towns/cities.

Oh, my mistake. I'd assumed that water safety regulations were applied to all public and group schemes. Seemingly the law doesn't apply to certain towns. I'm sure you can provide some evidence for this remarkable news?

On my mistake. I'd assumed that water safety regulations were applied to all public and group schemes. Seemingly the law doesn't apply to certain towns. I'm sure you can provide some evidence for this remarkable news?

I'm not naming any towns, It's not a big deal to me.

The locals have no complaints, they manage to get by without chlorination/fluoridation....just like our ancestors for billions of years.

The Planet Earth managed quite well for billions of years without human stupidity.

You'll be proposing chemical fertilizers replace the earth worm next.

I'm not naming any towns, It's not a big deal to me.
    That's kind of handy. I'm sure you're right though. :rolleyes:
    The locals have no complaints, they manage to get by without chlorination/fluoridation....just like our ancestors for billions of years.
    The ones who were mostly killed by waterborne disease?
    The Planet Earth managed quite well for billions of years without human stupidity.
    Oh, the planet would do just fine without humans. No doubt about that. Bit of a bummer for humans though.

That's kind of handy. I'm sure you're right though.

Well, the only way you'll know for sure is if you get off your ass and travel outside of Dublin INSIDE Ireland.
    Oh, the planet would do just fine without humans. No doubt about that. Bit of a bummer for humans though.

Alastair, in your lifetime, you should try experience life., no matter where on this planet it is.

Life is extremely short.. and I would hate to see you get to an age and be angry and disappointed because you were scared to embrace it.

If now is "too late" to experience life, PM me and we can work something out. Take it easy.

Well, the only way you'll know for sure is if you get off your ass and travel outside of Dublin INSIDE Ireland.

Alastair, in your lifetime, you should try experience life., no matter where on this planet it is.

Life is extremely short.. and I would hate to see you get to an age and be angry and disappointed because you were scared to embrace it.

If now is "too late" to experience life, PM me and we can work something out. Take it easy.

On to to ignore list for you. Life's certainly too short for reading this nonsense.

• Advertisement

On to to ignore list for you. Life's certainly too short for reading this nonsense.

Mod: Banned for being needlessly antagonistic in this and several other posts.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement