Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fluoride in tap water

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

weisses wrote: »

I wont go into this case further ... its just to show you the flaws in your argumentation

There's no flaw in my argument. It's the reason why it wasn't included in the Australian report - it hadn't undergone scientific review.

uhh you said

regarding that point you made

Im just waiting for you to show me where it was presented as i asked you already

Where what was presented? Spit it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,229 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

I like to keep an open mind about it specially when its not the common tin foil hat community that shows concern
    No you don't. You reject the opinions of the majority of scientists in the area in favour of the minority simply because they market themselves as anti-government.
    If this is not the case, you should be able to explain why your preferred set of scientists are more trustworthy.
    You cannot do this.
    Isn't that what peer reviewed means (supposed to be) by default .... well supported ??

And well supported can also mean support from both sides on a peer reviewed study ....
    That isn't what peer reviewed means.
    well supported means that the study is backed up by other similar and complimentary studies and observations in addition to peer review.

Even if a study passes peer review it is not enough to base a conclusion on alone, especially if there is a large amount of similar studies that conclude the opposite.

I like to keep an open mind about it
    You shouldn't trust anyone

You seem a little conflicted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,447 ✭✭✭weisses

alastair wrote: »
    Where what was presented? Spit it out.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=86633176&postcount=1144

You replied by saying it was presented... not me ... Or don't you remember what you supposedly presented ?

• Advertisement

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=86633176&postcount=1144

You replied by saying it was presented... not me ... Or don't you remember what you supposedly presented ?

I'll work on the assumption you're not just babbling - simply confused, and repeat my points as presented:
    The overwhelming scientific consensus regarding fluoridation is in direct contradiction with the health claims made by the anti-fluoridation lobby.
    weisses wrote:
    Of course you wouldn't because claiming lack of credibility is different then actually presenting it
    Just as an aid to comprehension - as stated - it's already been presented.
    You've been repeatedly directed to the positions and reports of the most authoritive scientific bodies that validate the benefit and safety of fluoridation. You can stick your fingers in your ears all you like, but that's the reality of the situation. The scientific consensus doesn't support the claims made by the anti-fluoridation lobby.
    weisses wrote:
    And again,, I cannot find anything in that report that deals with The science behind the argument about the biochemists and their opposition against fluoridation. And the conclusion by the report about their credibility
    Perhaps you might actually reference some specific claim? I've no idea what you're looking for.

I'm still waiting for you to spit it out.

King Mob wrote: »
    No you don't. You reject the opinions of the majority of scientists in the area in favour of the minority simply because they market themselves as anti-government.
    If this is not the case, you should be able to explain why your preferred set of scientists are more trustworthy.
    You cannot do this.

I agree with parts of this report

http://ec.europa.eu/health/scientific_committees/environmental_risks/docs/scher_o_139.pdf

Which of the scientists that oppose fluoridation are anti government when it comes to other issues then fluoridation?, because its governments who implement this ..... be specific please

That isn't what peer reviewed means.
    well supported means that the study is backed up by other similar and complimentary studies and observations in addition to peer review.

Can you give me a proper link that gives a clear definition and criteria of your quote below
    well supported peer reviewed research.
    Even if a study passes peer review it is not enough to base a conclusion on alone, especially if there is a large amount of similar studies that conclude the opposite.

And what is the threshold or mechanism for a peer reviewed piece to get accepted, after its peer reviewed, where is that defined ? (Link to relevant documentation will do )

I'll work on the assumption you're not just babbling - simply confused, and repeat my points as presented:

I'm still waiting for you to spit it out.

Its funny though that some of the earliest opponents to fluoridation were biochemists.

what is wrong with the science the biochemists used to reach their conclusion?
    Dr. James Sumner

• Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭jh79

Regarding the peer review process what exactly are you asking?

Could you summarise the biochemistry yoir refering to?

what is wrong with the science the biochemists used to reach their conclusion?
    Dr. James Sumner

What conclusion? Reference a specific claim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Daithi 1

HEXAFLUOROSILICIC ACID BANNED AS A BIOCIDAL
    PRODUCT IN THE EU.
    Hexafluorosilicic acid is used for many industries including the textile,
    ceraminc,steel industry and as a biocidal product.
    The same active chemical substance used for water fluoridation was banned
    as a biocidalsubstance by the EU in 2006 under Directive 98/8/EC.
    Hexafluorosilicic acid can no longer be used due to a lack of environmental
    and toxicological data to demonstrate that it is safe for humans or the
    environment.
    Detailed information was sought by the EU on the toxicology of the substance
    to include toxicological and metabolic studies, ecotoxicological studies,
    reproductive toxicity, medical data including medical surveillance data,
    epidemiological studies on general population,skin sensitivity studies and
    allergenicity studies, carcinogenicity studies, mutagenicity studies,sub
    chronic toxicity studies and measures to protect humans and the
    environment.
    No information was provided to the EU. The substance was subsequently
    removed as an authorized biocide within EU. The phase out date was set as
    01/09/2006. The product remains in use in Ireland as the active substance for
    water fluoridation of drinking water supplies.

http://www.enviro.ie/correspondence/Hexafluorosilicic%20Acid%20as%20an%20ingredident%20in%20Fluoridation%20of%20Drinking%20Water_WAUGH_2012.pdf

BANNED !!!!

http://www.sigmaaldrich.com/mobile/PriceAvailAction

for sale on sigma aldrich, keep repeating yourself but your not convincing anyone freely available in the EU

What conclusion? Reference a specific claim.

But you said
    Just as an aid to comprehension - as stated - it's already been presented.

Don't you know what you presented ?

post deleted ... wrong poster

jh79 wrote: »

From the piece
    It could be argued that water fluoridation is unnecessary when fluoridated toothpaste is available

I chuckled

From the piece

I chuckled

Why doesn't make fluoridation any less safe or effective.

Given that we are never going to agree on this, do you think this will become a mainstream issue? Hotpress is pretty niche , I think the sunday sun ran something on it but it was pretty poor. The broadsheets won't run with it given the current research.So what next for the campaign?

In my opinion if you want to be successful , ditch the lunatics such as the girl against fluoride, back the scientist who agree it is not harmful but ethically wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

In my opinion if you want to be successful , ditch the lunatics such as the girl against fluoride, back the scientist who agree it is not harmful but ethically wrong.

If its a more ethical issue you need proper politics who are willing to make discussions based on ethics ... but i get your point though

• Advertisement

If its a more ethical issue you need proper politics who are willing to make discussions based on ethics ... but i get your point though

Lets face it we are never going to agree but having fitzgibbions telling all and sundry that she cured her " depression" by switching to bottled water is only going to alienate people especially those who have family / friend with the illness.

Daithi 1 wrote: »
    BANNED !!!!

Not a banned substance.
    Banned use as a pesticide.
    Perfectly legal and authorised for fluoridation purposes.

Ethics is subjective so democracy is the fairest way

But you said

Don't you know what you presented ?

What conclusion? Still waiting...

Given that we are never going to agree on this, do you think this will become a mainstream issue? Hotpress is pretty niche , I think the sunday sun ran something on it but it was pretty poor. The broadsheets won't run with it given the current research.So what next for the campaign?

The ethical issue really carries no public traction, but having said that, the health scaremongering really only resonates with the tinfoil brigade. Until the general public could give a damn, it's not going anywhere - there's far too many (actual) important issues going to take precedence.

The ethical issue really carries no public traction, but having said that, the health scaremongering really only resonates with the tinfoil brigade. Until the general public could give a damn, it's not going anywhere - there's far too many (actual) important issues going to take precedence.

Out of curiosity would you be ok with lithium being added, I read in the guardian one scientist advocating it? Part of me hoped it would gain some traction just to see the sh"t storm it would.cause on this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,229 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

Daithi 1 wrote: »
    HEXAFLUOROSILICIC ACID BANNED AS A BIOCIDAL
    PRODUCT IN THE EU.
    Hexafluorosilicic acid is used for many industries including the textile,
    ceraminc,steel industry and as a biocidal product.
    The same active chemical substance used for water fluoridation was banned
    as a biocidalsubstance by the EU in 2006 under Directive 98/8/EC.
    Hexafluorosilicic acid can no longer be used due to a lack of environmental
    and toxicological data to demonstrate that it is safe for humans or the
    environment.
    Detailed information was sought by the EU on the toxicology of the substance
    to include toxicological and metabolic studies, ecotoxicological studies,
    reproductive toxicity, medical data including medical surveillance data,
    epidemiological studies on general population,skin sensitivity studies and
    allergenicity studies, carcinogenicity studies, mutagenicity studies,sub
    chronic toxicity studies and measures to protect humans and the
    environment.
    No information was provided to the EU. The substance was subsequently
    removed as an authorized biocide within EU. The phase out date was set as
    01/09/2006. The product remains in use in Ireland as the active substance for
    water fluoridation of drinking water supplies.

http://www.enviro.ie/correspondence/Hexafluorosilicic%20Acid%20as%20an%20ingredident%20in%20Fluoridation%20of%20Drinking%20Water_WAUGH_2012.pdf

BANNED !!!!

Banned as a pesticide. It is still legal to buy and sell.

Do you believe that it is illegal to buy and sell?

Out of curiosity would you be ok with lithium being added, I read in the guardian one scientist advocating it? Part of me hoped it would gain some traction just to see the sh"t storm it would.cause on this forum.

I wouldn't, aside from the ethical issues of genuine mass medication, lithium can cause birth defects if prescribed to pregnant women.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't, aside from the ethical issues of genuine mass medication, lithium can cause birth defects if prescribed to pregnant women.

What's your background if you don't mind me asking?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement