Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

True Detective [HBO] [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85,202 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

hefferboi wrote: »
    I have a feeling Taylor Kitsch will steal the show in this season.

Farrell looks to have the meatier role

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,219 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Character centred...and pathos?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Farrell looks to have the meatier role

Looks to have the meatier role on a daily basis :-)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 138 ✭✭foleypio

Reasons why I think this new season is going to be poor unfortunately

- They've had half the time to write this series then the first

- Pizzolato had an indepth knowledge of the area of Louisiana & the bayou having grown up there. He even knew about ritualistic murders that happened there when he was a teen. He knows f*** all about corrupt cops in California

- They've replaced real quality actors with Hollywood fluff(Macadams & Kitch), a comedy actor at best (V.Vaughn) & a **** one in Farrell.
    These guys careers aren't on an upwards trajectory like Mcconaughey's & Harrelson's was. They've never been particularly good in the first place. Mcconaughey's last work before TD was the Dallas buyers club, Farrells has been A winters tale ffs

- They've replaced an excellent young director in Cary Funkunaga with Justin Lin, a guy most famous for the fast & furious series & most likely more other inferior directors.

Very dissapointed with the poor judgement & decision making from Pizzolatto & the producers. They've shown that the last series was a fluke if anything

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

foleypio wrote: »

They've replaced real quality actors with Hollywood fluff(Macadams & Kitch), a comedy actor at best (V.Vaughn) & a **** one in Farrell.
    These guys careers aren't on an upwards trajectory like Mcconaughey's & Harrelson's was. They've never been particularly good in the first place. Mcconaughey's last work before TD was the Dallas buyers club, Farrells has been A winters tale ffs

- They've replaced an excellent young director in Cary Funkunaga with Justin Lin, a guy most famous for the fast & furious series & most likely more other inferior directors.

Very dissapointed with the poor judgement & decision making from Pizzolatto & the producers. They've shown that the last series was a fluke if anything

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Ah well, I'm still optimistic. Hopefully it's a case similar to Heat Ledger's performance in TDK.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Deadly?

caruso4.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,321 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

- They've replaced real quality actors with Hollywood fluff(Macadams & Kitch), a comedy actor at best (V.Vaughn) & a **** one in Farrell.

In fairness it wasn't all that long ago that McConaughey and Woody Harrelson were considered to be a bit of joke in the industry. McConaughey was more famous for taking his shirt off in bad romantic comedies and Harrelson for his love of smoking marijuana. Both have had career renaissances since (expecially McConaughey who was Hollywood fluff personified at one point) but I think you have to give actors a chance even if their recent stuff might not be great.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 138 ✭✭foleypio

In fairness it wasn't all that long ago that McConaughey and Woody Harrelson were considered to be a bit of joke in the industry. McConaughey was more famous for taking his shirt off in bad romantic comedies and Harrelson for his love of smoking marijuana. Both have had career renaissances since (expecially McConaughey who was Hollywood fluff personified at one point) but I think you have to give actors a chance even if their recent stuff might not be great.

McConaughey was doing good films three years prior to filming true detective. Harrelson similar. There was a build up to their work in TD. I cant remember the last good film i've seen farrell or Vaughn in

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,219 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Can't we just wait and see?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

Can't we just wait and see?

No!!... much better to plough straight in and write off the whole thing before we see even 1 minute of episode 1.... Trust me I know what TD is all about and what made it so good, and all of these things are gone now and I'm angry cos as big fan of the first series I'm owed something, Something a hell of a lot better than this not sure exactly what it is but not this anyway ffs......

McConaughey was doing good films three years prior to filming true detective. Harrelson similar. There was a build up to their work in TD. I cant remember the last good film i've seen farrell or Vaughn in

Farrell is good in Saving Mr. Banks

• Registered Users Posts: 13,315 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

What were the good films that McConaughey was in three years prior to True Detective? :confused:

Edit: Sorry thought for some reason that foleypio was referring to the particular year that was three years before True Detective (i.e. ~2011), rather than the three years prior to True Detective (i.e. ~2011-2014).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

What were the good films that McConaughey was in three years prior to True Detective? :confused:

Mud

The Lincoln Lawyer, Mud, Killer Joe, Magic Mike and of course Dallas Buyers Club (he won an Oscar)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,315 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

The Lincoln Lawyer, Mud, Killer Joe, Magic Mike and of course Dallas Buyers Club (he won an Oscar)

Sorry I've had a blonde moment and thought foleypio was just referring to the year that was three years before True Detective, rather than the three years prior to True Detective. D'oh :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

Reasons why I think this new season is going to be poor unfortunately

- They've had half the time to write this series then the first

- Pizzolato had an indepth knowledge of the area of Louisiana & the bayou having grown up there. He even knew about ritualistic murders that happened there when he was a teen. He knows f*** all about corrupt cops in California

He was part of the writing team on the Killing (set in Seattle but featuring city detectives and corruption) and has lived in California since 2010, so to say he knows f*ck all about either is maybe a bit premature.

And both Fukunaga and Arkapaw are involved in big budget movies this year, so was it Pizzolatto’s decision to drop them or did they just get better offers ?

Anyway, the benefit of it being an anthology series, with only the occult / ritualistic killings connecting each season, is you only have to endure the Farreller & co for eight short weeks

Personally I think it’s quite a brave move by Pizzolatto to take on such an ambitous project, it could fall in quality for sure or could work out to be an overall success but I doubt he went into season one thinking it was a fluke and he’d ride on its success for as long as possible like a one trick pony rock band writing their difficult 2nd album.

No, I’m quite looking forward to this

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,670 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I always assumed that the decision to use multiple directors for season 2 was Pizzolatto’s way of asserting his creative control over the show. As the director of all 8 episodes, Fukunaga received most of the credit for the look and feel of the first season. There was also rumours of creative differences, which is inevitable when you have the same crew for every episode. TV is a generally a writer-producer’s medium and Pizzolatto would probably like to keep it that way. That’s just speculation on my part, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭veganrun

I'll watch Season 2 but I'm wondering will it be anywhere near as good as Season 1. I liked a lot about season 1, the cast, the location, the feel and look of it and it sounds like most of that will have changed.

Will be interesting to see what it turns out like.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

To even call it "Season 2" is misleading. There is no continuation of story, no actors are the same, even the directors are different. It's basically a different programme in everything but name, and any comparisons to "Season 1" are just missing the point.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Ormus wrote: »
    To even call it "Season 2" is misleading. There is no continuation of story, no actors are the same, even the directors are different. It's basically a different programme in everything but name, and any comparisons to "Season 1" are just missing the point.

Yeah kinda strange they didn't call it a mini series, it actually would've won more awards that way as well probably.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Don't have huge expectations, I`ll check it out though. Loved the chemistry between McConaughey and Woody in the first season

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Watched the first season pilot again recently and have a theory that Maria Fontenot's uncle (the guy in the wheelchair in the house Rust and Cohle visit) was made that way by someone associated with the Tuttle clan. He seems very distressed when the detectives initially suggest that Marie ran away, as if he knew the actual truth. The guy was also a former varsity baseball star at around the time the disappearance would have occurred, and although degenerative diseases can occur suddenly, it seems unlikely imo. This show left too many unanswered questions. I'd have preferred a continuation of the investigation into the Tuttles, even without Rust and Cohle, maybe the two black detectives instead. Ah well..

On season two, said it at the time and will say it again, Vince Vaughan will be the star, and if he doesn't reignite his acting career, he'll certainly shut up his detractors who've seen his romcoms but never heard of Swingers. Kitsch will be excellent too if he can regain his range from FNL. And Farrell is always very watchable, as is McAdams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭veganrun

Some slightly dodgy language...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭DaBlackMask

veganrun wrote: »
    Some slightly dodgy language...

Lol

Sky Atlantic has announced that the second season of will premiere in Ireland and the UK on Monday June 22, one day after its US broadcast on HBO

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

Sky Atlantic has announced that the second season of will premiere in Ireland and the UK on Monday June 22, one day after its US broadcast on HBO

are we getting the full thing or one episode per week?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,095 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Roquentin wrote: »

why would you get the full thing?

Roquentin wrote: »

Sky Atlantic isn't like Netflix or Amazon so one a week

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

Sky Atlantic isn't like Netflix or Amazon so one a week

ill wait to get it on dvd

Advertisement