Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

True Detective [HBO] [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,099 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Taylor Kitsch was good in John Carter and was interesting as Gambit in Wolverine Origins, only two things I recall seeing him in.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2018237/

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭jimpump

Taylor Kitsch was good in John Carter and was interesting as Gambit in Wolverine Origins, only two things I recall seeing him in.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2018237/

Meh, all I hope is that theres great screenplay and story line cos these actors aint really giving me much hope fore S2

• Registered Users Posts: 12,024 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

jimpump wrote: »
    They still dont compare to matt mc and woody though. Season 2 will no way add up to season 1
    Plus vince vaughan will destroy season 2

Any chance you'll post the Lotto numbers, cheers.

Any chance you'll post the Lotto numbers, cheers.

Keep watching re runs of dodgeball pal

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Keep watching re runs of dodgeball pal
    A little unfair. If you had watched a lot of McConnaughey's output post "Lincon Lawyer" and pre-"Mud" you'd most likely have had a very bad opinion. It could be that Vaughn just needs the right material as well to shine. I'm not delighted by the choice but I'm at least prepared to give him a chance rather than your outright dismissal.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Vaughan actually can act, or at least he used to be able to. Most people nowadays will think of him as a purely comedic actor but I think if his character was written around his acting and the directors work closely with him it could be good. I don't write actors off before I see their performances after the whole Heath Ledger playing joker and giving the performance of a life time thing. The people who gave us season 1 can be trusted enough to do at least a decent job with season 2. I can see it being difficult for a lot of people to look past the drastic change in cast and story and they'll automatically write it off as 'bad'.

If Vaughan wasn't serious about this project he wouldn't have taken it and would've stuck to making his usual stuff. Just like Affleck in Batman vs Superman, I think he'll work hard to prove the negative stigma wrong.

Vaughan actually can act, or at least he used to be able to. Most people nowadays will think of him as a purely comedic actor but I think if his character was written around his acting and the directors work closely with him it could be good. I don't write actors off before I see their performances after the whole Heath Ledger playing joker and giving the performance of a life time thing. The people who gave us season 1 can be trusted enough to do at least a decent job with season 2. I can see it being difficult for a lot of people to look past the drastic change in cast and story and they'll automatically write it off as 'bad'.

Adam sandler should be in the next series as well!

Can't argue with that

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kunkka

Can't argue with that

Change the theme song to "Piece of **** car" too. God I loved that song

• Registered Users Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭squonk

My only 'oh god no' casting is Kelly Reilly. I'm tainted by having watched Black Box though so that's frankly my problem and she could do quite a good job I'd say. I have no fear of Vince Vaughan. If he was cast with Owen Wilson then I'd have preconceptions and know the show was probably going to end up cack but I think any of us with negative preconceptions will be very much surprised. I'm qite excited about seeing him in this actually. Colin Farrell is a great actor also when he makes the effort so I still think this could be the TV event that Season 1 was.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

ixoy wrote: »
    A little unfair. If you had watched a lot of McConnaughey's output post "Lincon Lawyer" and pre-"Mud" you'd most likely have had a very bad opinion. It could be that Vaughn just needs the right material as well to shine. I'm not delighted by the choice but I'm at least prepared to give him a chance rather than your outright dismissal.
    post lincon and pre mud is bernie , killer joe and the paperboy?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Tigger wrote: »
    post lincon and pre mud is bernie , killer joe and the paperboy?

I think he meant A Time to Kill. The point stands though McConaughey was in his fair share of poor films before being picked for True Detective and I remember most people questioning his casting and doubting the show would be a success.

He did a good job at it I don't see why the new cast would't. I think Vaughn is getting a lot of stick before we have even seen him in his role. I'm not a huge fan of his but thats not to say he won't knock it out of the park. Much like McConaughey showed good promise in A Time to Kill in the 90s Vaughn was very good in Swingers.

Vaughn has been cast mostly in comedies, but I am looking forward to seeing him in a serious role. I can't wait to see this season because with the right script and directing a few of these actors, such as Vaughn, could propel their career back in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭Degag

I'm currently in the progress of reading through this thread after finishing the series so don't know if this has been said or not but....

While I'm a big fan of Cranston and Breaking Bad... McConaughey's performance in this is one of the very best I've ever seen and he should have taken the Emmy IMO hands down

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Bumping this, HBO have released a teaser trailer for Season 2, it'll premier in the U.S on June 21st

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

as should steven segal

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Trailer doesn't look to have the darkness of Series 1. Looks more like Hollywood Stars trying to "ugly down" for TV unfortunately. Hopefully will be proven wrong...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Trailer doesn't look to have the darkness of Series 1. Looks more like Hollywood Stars trying to "ugly down" for TV unfortunately. Hopefully will be proven wrong...

It is set in LA not the back woods of Louisiana.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭FactCheck

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    It is set in LA not the back woods of Louisiana.

I think this might be a bit more of a miscalculation than the casting. The rural Louisiana setting set Season 1 apart. It's not a part of the country most people are familiar with, TV and movies rarely move beyond New Orleans or maybe the bayou.

By contrast, gritty detective dramas set in LA are ten a penny.

It's by no means a dealbreaker but it feels like a missed opportunity.

FactCheck wrote: »
    I think this might be a bit more of a miscalculation than the casting. The rural Louisiana setting set Season 1 apart. It's not a part of the country most people are familiar with, TV and movies rarely move beyond New Orleans or maybe the bayou.

Have you been to LA/California?
    To be perfectly honest the place is crawling with good looking people from every social class.
    I think the writer has already proved he can escape the conventions of genre television quite spectacularly with the first series.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,523 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

The writer has said they will be avoiding the well known LA locations so it could prove to have a much different feel than the usual LA cop shows.

• Advertisement

if i was betting id say it will be good. maybe not as good as the first season but only because the first season was sheer class. the producers or who ever seemed to know how to make a good tv series. they seemed to know the rules.

now they could have got lucky, but i doubt it. time will tell though.

HBO from what i have seen tend to have a pattern so i would be guessing it will be good

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

I watched the trailer for True Detective after I finished watching the season. Didn't do it any Justice. I can't wait for This. It'll be great to get stuck Ito this after Game of Thrones ends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Looking forward to it, only 2 months away now, Colin "Be Jaysus" Farrell looks good in it.

in fairness california is pretty a big place. they can go outside LA.

It's just a first teaser to give us an idea of the look of the characters. They'll release an official trailer as well. Pretty sweet timing to start the new season around the end of the new season of GoT. HBO really are the highest quality TV network, this show's done produced more like a film in a mini series format.

Looks like Colin gained a bit of weight for the role.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭FactCheck

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    Have you been to LA/California?
    To be perfectly honest the place is crawling with good looking people from every social class.
    I think the writer has already proved he can escape the conventions of genre television quite spectacularly with the first series.

I lived there for a few years in fact :D

It's not the good looking people, it's just a familiar scene. There's literally decades upon decades of LA detectives. I'd rather see somewhere entirely fresh.

But I fully agree that the makers have earned a lot of good faith and I'm looking forward to see what they've come up with.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

I have a feeling Taylor Kitsch will steal the show in this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Marje

Information on some of the characters
    A bizarre murder brings together three law-enforcement officers and a career criminal, each of whom must navigate a web of conspiracy and betrayal in the scorched landscapes of California. Colin Farrell is Ray Velcoro, a compromised detective in the all-industrial City of Vinci, LA County. Vince Vaughn plays Frank Semyon, a criminal and entrepreneur in danger of losing his life’s work, while his wife and closest ally (Kelly Reilly), struggles with his choices and her own. Rachel McAdams is Ani Bezzerides, a Ventura County Sheriff’s detective often at odds with the system she serves, while Taylor Kitsch plays Paul Woodrugh, a war veteran and motorcycle cop for the California Highway Patrol who discovers a crime scene which triggers an investigation involving three law enforcement groups, multiple criminal collusions, and billions of dollars.

Is it the same cinematographer and director shooting the entire season as the first one? I hope so because some of the shots, especially that insane tracking shot in the ghetto, rivalled high budget films.

• Advertisement

Is it the same cinematographer and director shooting the entire season as the first one? I hope so because some of the shots, especially that insane tracking shot in the ghetto, rivalled high budget films.

No he is gone and this is the shows biggest danger. I'd say the new directors will copy his work though. Trailer seems to be similar. A very important aspect is also the soundtrack and I hope it is well chosen as usual.

Advertisement