Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV license

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

CiniO wrote: »
    I know they are sending me the signal with RTE. They are sending it to everyone in this country.
    But I don't get your argument, why having a box tv came in, should make me liable for licence, while people who don't have tv set in their home are not liable.
    As my tv is not compatibile with their signal and on top of that I don't have an aerial, I'm no different to anyone without tv set at all. I can't receive RTE.
    Doesn't make logical sense to me why should I pay a licence, while my neighbour without tv doesn't need to.

It should be either only people receiving public tv or everyone.
    current law doesn't make sense

sarcasm
    I dont have the ability to receive rte tv either, no aerial
    The hint of a tv, even the box(joking), any suggestion and you pay the tv licence, soon, not even that is needed.
    Next they will start digging the dead up to make them pay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭taytothief

I noticed a letter today saying they had initiated legal proceedings or something. It was dated the 23/3 which is fascinating considering my TV licence expired on the 31/3. It's a pity, I had been ignoring the letters for the past few months, desperately hoping I'd be called to court, when I already had a licence.
    Can anyone tell me if I'm in trouble now? Even if I get a licence on Monday?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

taytothief wrote: »
    I noticed a letter today saying they had initiated legal proceedings or something. It was dated the 23/3 which is fascinating considering my TV licence expired on the 31/3. It's a pity, I had been ignoring the letters for the past few months, desperately hoping I'd be called to court, when I already had a licence.

your not in trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

Just got a card in the door marked "Dear occupier" yada yada yada.
    I never had a tv license and I'll be damned if I'm going to go out and buy one after this.
    I don't open the door to cold callers and they don't have my name so I'll just keep my head down and see what happens!

I hope all tv license inspectors catch fleas...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭joeysoap

taytothief wrote: »

definitely not in trouble, somewhere on that notice there is a tv section number, phone them and give them the licence number (expired is ok) and that will sort it in on go. thought with all this computerisation they would have less errors but .........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Just got a card in the door marked "Dear occupier" yada yada yada.
    I never had a tv license and I'll be damned if I'm going to go out and buy one after this.
    I don't open the door to cold callers and they don't have my name so I'll just keep my head down and see what happens!

I hope all tv license inspectors catch fleas...

Nice.

As I have posted previously, sooner this tv licence fee is transferred to electricity utilities the better

• Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

joeysoap wrote: »
    Nice.

As I have posted previously, sooner this tv licence fee is transferred to electricity utilities the better

i hope they add it to the water charges, that'll rustle their jimmys. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Cill94

Resurrecting an old thread here to ask a Q.

Does anybody know if we're legally obligated to actually let one of these license inspectors in? Do they just give up eventually?

Cill94 wrote: »

Does anybody know if we're legally obligated to actually let one of these license inspectors in? Do they just give up eventually?

You are not legally obligated. They tend to just go ahead and prosecute

• Registered Users Posts: 7,560 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Does anybody know if we're legally obligated to actually let one of these license inspectors in?

Only if they are accompanied by a member of An Garda Síochána and a search warrrent, which is most unlikley
    Do they just give up eventually?

No, they just send you a court summons.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the info.

A ridiculous fee for people with no TV connection, but probably not worth fighting it from the sounds of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,552 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Thanks for the info.

A ridiculous fee for people with no TV connection, but probably not worth fighting it from the sounds of things.

Why would you pay for a TV Licence if you don't have a TV?

Just follow the instructions in this link https://www.tvlicence.ie/home/tv-licence-forms.html

elperello wrote: »
    Why would you pay for a TV Licence if you don't have a TV?

Just follow the instructions in this link https://www.tvlicence.ie/home/tv-licence-forms.html

I have a TV, but it's not connected to any channels. I only use it for streaming and gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,552 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I have a TV, but it's not connected to any channels. I only use it for streaming and gaming.

I see, you might be better to get rid of it and buy a monitor.

A bit expensive but you will be saving the cost of a licence each year.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭The DayDream

All that matters if it is possible to get channels on it not whether you use them or if they're connected. Basically if you own a tv at all.

I just have a monitor. But also my estate is so rough they don't even come here. In college we let one in to have a snoop after telling him we had no telly. We just had it hidden in the closet. The PlayStation and the controllers were still in plain view and a big square print in the dust on the TV stand where the telly had been moments earlier.

Right lads, he said with a smirk before leaving us to it.

elperello wrote: »
    I see, you might be better to get rid of it and buy a monitor.

A bit expensive but you will be saving the cost of a licence each year.

That's a good idea actually! Thanks :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

You don't have to let them in, but, if your door is unlocked they can lawfully help themselves to enter your property!

GM228 wrote: »
    You don't have to let them in, but, if your door is unlocked they can lawfully help themselves to enter your property!

I live in an aptmt complex that requires a key card for entry.

It's a nice barrier between me and anyone who could try to sell me stuff, convert me to a different religion, or force me to pay Ryan Tubridy's wages.

Advertisement