Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV license

Options
  • 14-06-2013 11:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭

Folks just wondering if you can help. I don't have a tv in my apartment in Galway but the inspector has sent me letters saying the tv is here although there is no chorus and sky here at all. I got a final warning off them today. What do people suggest I do . Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

If you don't have a telly, you don't have to buy a license

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭thatsmyboy

Yes but will inspector want to come in to my apt to check

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

i think if you have a laptop or pc or even radio you may have to have one. feel free to correct me if im wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭blabley

thatsmyboy wrote: »
    They might do... but if you don't own a TV that's not an issue

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭blabley

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer_affairs/media/tv_licences.html#l1f4da
    You do not require a television licence to watch television on your computer or mobile phone. However, the computer must not be able to receive a signal distributed by conventional television broadcasting networks, for example, cable, satellite or aerial.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

I think they just assume everyone has a tv licence. Just ignore the letter. They are just sent out in huge batches. They cant find you if you dont have a tv

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

hfallada wrote: »
    I think they just assume everyone has a tv licence. Just ignore the letter. They are just sent out in huge batches. They cant find you if you dont have a tv

i dont think thats the correct way to deal with this. your better off contacting them to tell them you dont have a tv. you dont want to find yourself in front of a judge trying to sort out fines. messy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

theres a form you can fill out declaring that you no longer have a tv, that'd stop them hassling you .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

your better off contacting them to tell them you dont have a tv. you dont want to find yourself in front of a judge trying to sort out fines. messy
    Fines for what exactly?

I rang their tv license office yesterday and they won't even send me out a form to declare I do not have a tv license guy kept saying " inspector saw one the day he called" crap I'm on a third floor apt and he must have some eyesight as he saw what is not there. I don't know what to do now. All the guy kept saying yesterday was " I advise you to get a license ". Do I have to get a license to declare I do not have a tv. I never had chorus or sky under my name at this apt so there is no record of this . Will I just pay it once off to get this muppet off my back. I'm moving out in three months anyone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,560 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

I rang their tv license office yesterday and they won't even send me out a form to declare I do not have a tv license guy kept saying " inspector saw one the day he called" crap I'm on a third floor apt and he must have some eyesight as he saw what is not there. I don't know what to do now. All the guy kept saying yesterday was " I advise you to get a license ". Do I have to get a license to declare I do not have a tv. I never had chorus or sky under my name at this apt so there is no record of this . Will I just pay it once off to get this muppet off my back. I'm moving out in three months anyone

Send them a registered letter, declaring you have no TV.

Also state that you will seek legal advice if the contine to harrise you with this false demands, that this is causing you stress making you unwell

Also ask for the name of the inspector that claims to have seen the TV, that you want to sue him/her for demanation. You might need to make this an FOI request.

The main effect of the above is to give them work and delay any court action.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

I'm not sure we're getting all the facts in this thread TBH.

Well if you know more than I do we'll done . There is no more to tell. I can make stuff up for you if you like . Your a kinda person that believes in "no smoke without fire" where sometimes there can be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

I'm thinking of just going out and buying a tv if I'm forced to get this license although when I do need to watch TV I just watch it on my iPad so I'm annoyed over all this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭HurtLocker

I'm thinking of just going out and buying a tv if I'm forced to get this license although when I do need to watch TV I just watch it on my iPad so I'm annoyed over all this.

Are the warnings addressed to you by name or just "the resident".

sounds like a good idea

Yes the letters are in my name. I met the inspector one sat morning and I gave him my name, I was rushing out the door late for work so I really can't remember what I even said to him as I had slept it in and was running very late ( actually his knock on the door woke me )
    But the thing that annoys me is the guy has wrote in his report he saw a TV !!
    Even if I had a TV I'm on the third floor he would need a crane to see in my window

NEWBIE 2 ......do you work for an post by any chance just looking back at your two quite un helpful posts. I think from my point of view if you don't have something constructive to say can you just not post on my thread please

• Advertisement

Yes the letters are in my name. I met the inspector one sat morning and I gave him my name, I was rushing out the door late for work so I really can't remember what I even said to him as I had slept it in and was running very late ( actually his knock on the door woke me )
    Even if I had a TV I'm on the third floor he would need a crane to see in my window
    It'll be a weird court case when your charged for having a tv when you don't.

I'm not a lawyer but could the OP make a request for the information they have on him under the Data Protection Act?

It's harassment anyway. I'd tell then to back off or show the evidence they have. Don't buy a licence, once you do you're on their list until you move house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭silentrust

i think if you have a laptop or pc or even radio you may have to have one. feel free to correct me if im wrong.

Well if you have a computer with a tv card or similar that you use to watch or record television as it's being broadcast then you do need to pay for one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭silentrust

HurtLocker wrote: »
    It'll be a weird court case when your charged for having a tv when you don't.

I'm not a lawyer but could the OP make a request for the information they have on him under the Data Protection Act?

It's harassment anyway. I'd tell then to back off or show the evidence they have. Don't buy a licence, once you do you're on their list until you move house.

Well said HurtLocker,

I had this nightmare six months ago when the Inspector came round and spoke to one of my housemates who misunderstood and said that we watched TV as we play DVDs on our laptops.

They wrote to me and I wrote back explaining we had no television. They wrote back saying, Yes you do!

I wrote back again saying it was a misunderstanding, there was no television in the house and that they were welcome to send an Inspector to check this.

They wrote back again to say essentially they thought I was lying and that although there might not be a television in the house now, unless I paid up they would take me to court.

I wrote to them again saying I would see them in court.

Two days later the Inspector came round. I showed him every room in the house and he left.

I received an apology around a week later.

So bottom line you need to stay strong and call their bluff even if you're threatened.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Why would you do that?

As has been suggested write to them formal. State you dont have a TV and that an inspection is welcome at a suitable convenient time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

Has anyone ever gone to court with a floorplan of the house/apartment and asked the inspector to point out where he was standing and where he saw the TV? In most places I would think the TV cannot be seen from the front door and if he's proved to be lying in court...

12-04-2012, 22:48
    Hi folks ,I bought a new LG flatscreen TV today and all is going well I have it working fine except when i attach my sky plus box to it the TV wont respond to the sky remote for turning volume up and down ,it is changing channel but thats through the box but the sound itself from tv is not going up or down with my sky remote. Anyone any ideas please as i dont want to have to be using 2 remotes as im having to raise volume up and down with tv original remote

Model is LG 37INCH LCD 1080P

Thnaks in advance

Do you have a TV or not?

newbie2 wrote: »
    I'm not sure we're getting all the facts in this thread TBH.

12-04-2012, 22:48

Do you have a TV or not?

You're doing you're damnedest to have an argument with the OP. He said he had no tv in his apartment either take him for his word or stop trolling. That quote was over a year ago. He's asked for help not a questioning of his life story.

It's my experience that the majority of these posts about "not having a TV" do not contain all the facts and the OPs generally just tell us their side of the story. In this case - the OP seems worried that the inspector will come back to his apt and check if he has a TV -

I fhe has not TV - why is he worried if an inspector wants to check?

• Advertisement

I fhe has not TV - why is he worried if an inspector wants to check?

-Has had bad experience with the TV licence inspector lying and doesn't want anything to do with them.

-Doesn't want to consent to a search of his property without a warrant when the searcher refuses to show or doesn't have probable cause or evidence.

There are many reasons but you've zoned in on the illegal one, the OP has stated he doesn't have a tv in his apartment what more do you want? A tour of his apartment. As for his new tv post, that was a year ago a lot can change in a year.

Lets give him the benefit of the doubt ;)

Advertisement