Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fat tubs of lard get fatter

Options
  • 14-06-2013 11:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭

http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/0613/456404-committee-health/
    Almost 32% of seven-year-olds in Ireland are overweight or obese, an Oireachtas Committee on Health and Children has heard.

Ireland now ranks fifth in the European Union when it comes to childhood obesity.

Consultant Paediatrician Dr Sinead Murphy told the committee that the situation is failing to stabilise and is getting worse.

She said if the problem is not tackled, 47% of adults in Ireland will be obese by 2030.

I was seven in 1998 - not that long ago. I think there was one fat kid in my class of 35. Maybe two or three in the whole year of four classes.

A few months ago I heared a kid on my road saying she had boobs jokingly. Couldn't have been older than 8 or 9 and was twice the weight of a regular kid.

Looks like Ireland is going the way of the US and UK in terms of obesity. IT sickens me to see a really obese person. Literally turns my stomach when I think about how their body must be working overtime to process all that, move around etc...

Anyone who lets their kids get into that state should be monitored by Child Welfare Officers.

A week or so ago I was doing some shopping (in the UK but same as Ireland). Well over half the aisles are dedicated to processed junk, sweets, ready meals, pizzas. So maybe the rise of convenience food is somewhat to blame here. But we're all responsible for what goes in our bodies.

A couple months back I definitely packed on a couple. Working crazy hours and full time at college messes with your diet. Worked it off pretty quick though. I can't see an excuse for being in your 20s or 30s and being a giant wobbling tub of lard :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,417 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

It does seem strange that parents don't appear to comprehend that their kid is overweight.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

kneemos wrote: »
    It does seem strange that parents don't appear to comprehend that their kid is overweight.

too busy stuffing their faces to notice how enormous their children are

• Registered Users Posts: 25 ahlad

Dean0088 wrote: »
    a giant wobbling tub of lard :mad:

Nice!:D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

When I was a kid we used to be outside for hours. Running, cycling, playing football. None of us were overweight. This is the problem, kids are increasingly being allowed to stay inside watching TV, playing PS3/XBOX, etc. instead of being sent outside to play. The weather is getting better now and the kids will be off school soon, the parents have no excuses to allow their children to stay inside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

I can tell that this will be a classy thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭GalwayGuy2

When I was a kid we used to be outside for hours. Running, cycling, playing football. None of us were overweight. This is the problem, kids are increasingly being allowed to stay inside watching TV, playing PS3/XBOX, etc.

Isn't it common to remember the good times, ie football, more than the dull, ie. staying in your house?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

When I was a kid we used to be outside for hours. Running, cycling, playing football. None of us were overweight. This is the problem, kids are increasingly being allowed to stay inside watching TV, playing PS3/XBOX, etc. instead of being sent outside to play. The weather is getting better now and the kids will be off school soon, the parents have no excuses to allow their children to stay inside.

Pedophiles. I think the fear of leaving your kid alone outside now a days seems to be a lot worse than before.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,199 ✭✭✭maximoose

Blaming TV and video games is a lazy excuse. My friends and I played probably as much snes/gb/ps1 and watched as much TV as kids these days and we weren't little fatties.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

I think a lot of it comes down to the availability of 'convenience' foods and the disappearance of cooking in society. Equality is great, it's not a womans place to be in the kitchen but like... someone needs to go in there once in a while and cook some actual food. Not just salt laden, preservative heavy frozen meals.

Maybe it's time that home ec became mandatory as well as PE in schools.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

GalwayGuy2 wrote: »
    Isn't it common to remember the good times, ie football, more than the dull, ie. staying in your house?

The staying in your house bit was for when it was raining. When the weather was anyway decent, we'd knock around the houses and get everyone out for a game of football

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Clandestine

Some people shouldn't be parents....

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swimming in a sea

I've a very sweet tooth, so thank goodness I was brought up in the 80's when chocolate etc was expensive so I could not afford to get fat.

Now you have multi-packs of bars being sold for 1 euro in Tesco and big slabs of chocolate in lidl\aldi for half nothing. Also I see kids always eating hot food at their lunch, this was something that just did not exist in late 80's early 90's.

So it is harder for parents to keep an eye on what their kids are eating but they are still the ones who can have the most influence on their children's diet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

That's not the only problem.

It's not even the biggest factor.

The most important factor is what goes into the body.

Look at the parents - with a rising overweight adult population who do not understand nutrition then it's no wonder that you get overweight kids.

Even perceived "healthy" foods do damage,

Eg breakfast cereal, muffin for a snack, sandwich at lunch, pasta / potatoes with dinner.

That could be perceived as healthy, but it's not. It's too much wheat / carbohydrate.

As long as adults ignore the creeping belt notches and clothing sizes expect the weight problem to get worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

kneemos wrote: »

They're not fat they're kidnap resistant.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,145 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Pedophiles. I think the fear of leaving your kid alone outside now a days seems to be a lot worse than before.

Media bull****, it's never been safer to let your kids out, you'd swear the way people go on there's raging pedos at every street corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,262 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Great, it's been about 5 minutes since the last fat thread

That's not the only problem.

It's not even the biggest factor.

The most important factor is what goes into the body.

Look at the parents - with a rising overweight adult population who do not understand nutrition then it's no wonder that you get overweight kids.

Even perceived "healthy" foods do damage,

Eg breakfast cereal, muffin for a snack, sandwich at lunch, pasta / potatoes with dinner.

That could be perceived as healthy, but it's not. It's too much wheat / carbohydrate.

As long as adults ignore the creeping belt notches and clothing sizes expect the weight problem to get worse.

I agree that they learn bad habits from the parents but I don't agree that the food going in is a problem. If they're eating all that (and not overeating) while still exercising with their friends outside, they wouldn't have a weight problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Yeah cos Peadophiles are just EVERYWHERE !!!!

It's ridicolous, media scaremongering, lets not let our kids get into a car cos they are far more likely to come to harm there then by all the Peadophiles hiding in the bushes in every estate.

edit - this is about fatties sorry.

How many kids are dangerously effected by their own weight compared to kids being abused by the 1000's of Peados on the loose ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

If you look back to the 80's and early 90's it was commonplace for the mother to stay at home and cook dinner, make packed lunches for the kids, and feed them cheap, whole foods, while the father went out to work, however it has become much more common now for both parents to work, leaving less time for the preparation of healthy hearty meals. An over reliance on convenience foods which often contain way more sugar and way more calories in general. When I was going to primary school most people had the same kind of lunch, a ham or cheese sandwich and either a carton of juice, or a flask of tea. Nowadays half the class will have a dairylea dunkable, and the other half will be having a pot noodle and three different types of chocolate, because it is perceived to be cheaper and more convenient to put those in lunch boxes than it is to make a sandwich.

I'm not saying thats the only cause of it, but it is a contributing factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Fat kids can't run fast though and thus are more at risk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭barry181091

There are so many variables to this issue its not funny.

''Fat tubs of lard get fatter''. Would you ever grow up you f***ing cnut, jesus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Ah yes, small boys in the park...jumpers for goalposts...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

I'm not much older than the OP and we still had video games and telly and the rest. I spent hours in front of a SNES (best console ever) and often watched TV in the evening after school. The difference was I was also playing ball straight through both breaks in school and often in the evenings as well after school. I remember having to be home at 6 for tea and then often out galavanting again.

More importantly however, was the diet I was on. I grew up only eating "Irish" food until about the age of 12. Now while I'm not saying this was any better nutritionally, it meant I was getting fresh cooked dinners every day. My lunch was a packed sandwich with fruit. Chips were a once-a-month treat and I didn't even know what a ready-meal was to be honest.

By the time I got to secondary school though, we had three vending machines selling coke and other toxic sh*t while 90% of the canteen meals were chips and processed crap. Diet is the key thing here I think, and the habits and tastes you instill in your children before they hit their teens will stand to them for life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Hoop66

Paedos on wheels, outside every school That'll get the little feckers thin in no time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭downonthefarm

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

There's a self esteem element as well. When it becomes normal to lay into these 'fat sacks of sh1t' you make their self worth plummet. This might cause them to lose weight but more often than not drives them to value their bodies less. Then people realise that this is wrong and will also come at it from the wrong angle; "you're fat but that doesn't matter, it's the person inside that matters."

I've carried weight a lot of my life. It's a couple of encounters with girls where they've said something along the lines of "You're handsome, but you would look so much better if you lost some weight" that has really encouraged me to value my body more.

Now that's a little inappropriate for children but we should really be taking a more positive route to get them healthy. Let's not forget that skinny people are often just as unhealthy as overweight people.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

So what's stopping the fathers from cooking, then?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Fukuyama

There are so many variables to this issue its not funny.

''Fat tubs of lard get fatter''. Would you ever grow up you f***ing cnut, jesus.

There really isn't.

Look at photos from 100 year ago. No fat people then. Even in the UK where they had a pretty decent diet. The only tubby people were the rich who sat around and ate too much.

Simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Fukuyama

FTA69 wrote: »
    I'm not much older than the OP and we still had video games and telly and the rest. I spent hours in front of a SNES (best console ever) and often watched TV in the evening after school. The difference was I was also playing ball straight through both breaks in school and often in the evenings as well after school. I remember having to be home at 6 for tea and then often out galavanting again.

More importantly however, was the diet I was on. I grew up only eating "Irish" food until about the age of 12. Now while I'm not saying this was any better nutritionally, it meant I was getting fresh cooked dinners every day. My lunch was a packed sandwich with fruit. Chips were a once-a-month treat and I didn't even know what a ready-meal was to be honest.

By the time I got to secondary school though, we had three vending machines selling coke and other toxic sh*t while 90% of the canteen meals were chips and processed crap. Diet is the key thing here I think, and the habits and tastes you instill in your children before they hit their teens will stand to them for life.

Funny childhood memory just occurred to me from reading your post.

The only time we over got a takeaway (chipper, chinese or whatever) was when someone had died and the adults were to busy, sad etc... to cook.

Mc Donalds was for your birthday.

I cant get statistic on this, but I'd say these restaurants have seen a 1000% increase in consumption over the last year. I know people who order in food 3 or 4 nights a week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭wobzilla1

Bambi wrote: »
    Fat kids can't run fast though and thus are more at risk

More cushion for the pushing

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement