Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maynooth University?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 jDicey

mickstupp wrote: »
    I always refer to myself as going to college, even though it's a university. I think in Ireland they're proabably interchangeable. But I think in America there's an actual difference between them. Online people I know from the US had a completely different reaction to me when they realised the 'college' I was going to was actually a university. Not entirely sure why they had that reaction though... I suspect there's a difference between qualifications that a college or community college can give out, compared to universities. Like how it was here (maybe still is) when some ITs were only allowed to give out certs and diplomas? Or maybe not... I prefer the word college. Less pesky syllables.

See, I thought the Irish had a difference between the two. I don't know if it's different in the west, but in the east Americans do refer to all further education as college. The majority of four year colleges use 'University' in the title, but not all. For example, in my state we have Moravian College which is a four year private university, and it's kind of a big deal. However, here we have what are called "community colleges" which will sometimes be referred to as universities. You go to a community college for two years to earn your associates degree and get all of your general education studies out of the way (here we are all required to take maths, English, one science, and one year of a foreign language as well as two electives in order to graduate) for a much cheaper price, but you cannot earn a bachelor at community college. Maybe that's where people get confused? Everyone will still tell you they're attending college.

Aaaand, I definitely don't think I'll be telling anyone I go to MU. . .That's asking to be mocked. lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Bored_Girl

Lets be real guys, if they brand the university as MU, all I'm going to think about it the fact that we're then attending Monsters University!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭granturismo

And as I have said already on Facebook, the acronyms are not flattering: MU or UM

Maynooth University County Kildare

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭How so Joe

Maynooth University County Kildare

That acronym is taken already!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

First night a gaggle of first years gets sloshed... I can't see that new sign staying in place. Possible anagrams...?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭granturismo

How so Joe wrote: »
    That acronym is taken already!

Its now been annexed by Philip I.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭JellyBeans92

First night a gaggle of first years gets sloshed... I can't see that new sign staying in place. Possible anagrams...?

Being honest we all know it'll be that or half the letters will get scattered across random buildings on-campus..
    :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭solomafioso

*googles anagram creator*

"'It's unheavy moronity.'" Brilliant.... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Re-arrange them to say "Hymen tryouts" and just hide the remainder letters behind a tree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Think the t is already missing and it's not even Monday evening. How did they not see that coming.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Think the t is already missing and it's not even Monday evening. How did they not see that coming.

I came across a comment on the Maynooth Tidy Towns page about it where a staff member said that they hasn't expected the letters to last as long as they had which makes you wonder why they put them up in the first place.

I give it til end of semester at the latest before they're all gone.

Advertisement