Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maynooth University?

Options
  • 13-06-2013 2:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭

Thought I may as well throw it here as well, in case people haven't seen the updates on Facebook.

NUI Maynooth is to be rebranded as 'Maynooth University'.

Below is our source tweet, again from Maynooth Students' Union (MSU) Vice President Fiach O'Neill who is in attendance at NUIM Governing Authority, the core decision-making body of the university. A proposed time frame for the rebranding has yet to be released.

Source: https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Student-Standard/264249796986346?hc_location=stream

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Change to the forum name anyway. I think it is a good idea, Maynooth University sounds better than NUIM. It is not going to be a drastic change anyway.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Kiwi_knock wrote: »
    Change to the forum name anyway. I think it is a good idea, Maynooth University sounds better than NUIM. It is not going to be a drastic change anyway.

I have to disagree. I just don't like the name. I feel that "National University of Ireland" would have a greater impact on an international level too, as in if you were applying for jobs abroad, etc but that's prob just me.

And as I have said already on Facebook, the acronyms are not flattering: MU or UM

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

µ

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

_40368965_cow.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭How so Joe

Further clarification from Fiach on Facebook:
    [...] [T]he college will retain its title as 'National University of Ireland, Maynooth' but will cut out any abbreviations such as; NUI Maynooth, NUIM, Maynooth [...]

Terrible grammar and, to be honest, I can't see this rebranding working for a long time. Not until all the current student are gone, at any rate.
    Besides which, if it's still officially called National University of Ireland, Maynooth, that's what it's going to stay on CVs and such as.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭DylanII

I'm not sure how I feel about this.

National University of Ireland, Maynooth sounds much better that Maynooth University.

But I think that saying you go to maynooth university sounds better than saying you go to maynooth - it sounds like a university now rather than a college.

Because national university of Ireland, Maynooth, and NUI Maynooth made it sound so much like a college before?
    Equally, what's wrong with going to a college?

And it's still going to be called National University of Ireland, Maynooth. It's just not going to be called NUIM or NUI Maynooth.

DylanII wrote: »
    I'm not sure how I feel about this.

National University of Ireland, Maynooth sounds much better that Maynooth University.

But I think that saying you go to maynooth university sounds better than saying you go to maynooth - it sounds like a university now rather than a college.

Well it was never officially called Maynooth before so no change there. Tbh I doubt people will start adding in the University now.

Also, what's the difference between University and College in Ireland? As far as I'm aware, we don't have colleges but a lot of students would refer to University as college. Similar to the US I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭DylanII

It looks like we're getting a load of new buildings too

http://studentstandard.ie/nuim-governing-authority-approve-university-rebranding-two-new-buildings/

After thinking about it more I prefer National University of Ireland, Maynooth. When is this to happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Ok..

So maybe i'm being thick but what exactly is happening? If the National University Of Ireland, Maynooth title is being retained for official documents/transcripts etc. why are they talking about the re-branding to Maynooth University? I genuinely can't understand? How can you rebrand something if the old 'brand' name is still in existence?

Is it so students will refer to it more as a University or what the hell is the point behind the change? Can't seem to wrap my head around it anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

Well it was never officially called Maynooth before so no change there. Tbh I doubt people will start adding in the University now.

Also, what's the difference between University and College in Ireland? As far as I'm aware, we don't have colleges but a lot of students would refer to University as college. Similar to the US I suppose.
    I always refer to myself as going to college, even though it's a university. I think in Ireland they're proabably interchangeable. But I think in America there's an actual difference between them. Online people I know from the US had a completely different reaction to me when they realised the 'college' I was going to was actually a university. Not entirely sure why they had that reaction though... I suspect there's a difference between qualifications that a college or community college can give out, compared to universities. Like how it was here (maybe still is) when some ITs were only allowed to give out certs and diplomas? Or maybe not... I prefer the word college. Less pesky syllables.

mickstupp wrote: »
    I always refer to myself as going to college, even though it's a university. I think in Ireland they're proabably interchangeable. But I think in America there's an actual difference between them. Online people I know from the US had a completely different reaction to me when they realised the 'college' I was going to was actually a university. Not entirely sure why they had that reaction though... I suspect there's a difference between qualifications that a college or community college can give out, compared to universities. Like how it was here (maybe still is) when some ITs were only allowed to give out certs and diplomas? Or maybe not... I prefer the word college. Less pesky syllables.

My bad so :-)
    Maybe American TV has skewed my view but I was always under the impression that even students in the Ivy League Institutions called where they attended college. But now that I think of it I suppose that "school" would be more common.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Feathers

Ok..

So maybe i'm being thick but what exactly is happening? If the National University Of Ireland, Maynooth title is being retained for official documents/transcripts etc. why are they talking about the re-branding to Maynooth University? I genuinely can't understand? How can you rebrand something if the old 'brand' name is still in existence?

Is it so students will refer to it more as a University or what the hell is the point behind the change? Can't seem to wrap my head around it anyway!

I presume their thinking is to have a logo & 'snappier' name for the prospectus, leaflets, radio ads, open day etc & probably clubs and socs. The full name & crest would probably get used for parchments, publication references & letterhead etc.

Think it will be more introducing a new brand to represent one aspect of the college, rather than a rebrand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭Nitochris

I have to disagree. I just don't like the name. I feel that "National University of Ireland" would have a greater impact on an international level too, as in if you were applying for jobs abroad, etc but that's prob just me.

And as I have said already on Facebook, the acronyms are not flattering: MU or UM

We'll have the same initials as Miskatonic Univiersity,

At a practical level I take it they plan to change the email addresses again (I remember when they had may.ie).

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Nitochris wrote: »
    We'll have the same initials as Miskatonic Univiersity,

At a practical level I take it they plan to change the email addresses again (I remember when they had may.ie).

When I was there, we didn't get an email address...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

There's a chance the NUI may be abolished sometime down the road.

If that happens, all the NUIs will have to change their name anyway.

From NUIM's perspective, it might be better for the image of the University to change 'on their own terms' as it were, and not because they had to.

Not my opinion, just a little tidbit of background.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭Nitochris

endacl wrote: »
    When I was there, we didn't get an email address...

When I started students i.e. me got the nuim ones (I think - its possible we started getting them after I started) but the staff still had may.ie

On the plus side, if the emails get a new domain, maybe they'll stop putting arbitrary numbers on the ends of them?

(Source of constant consternation for me - Maynooth, where I started in 2008, put 2009 on the end of my email address; UCL, where I started in '13, put 12 on the end of my email address. I can't win!!)

banquo wrote: »
    There's a chance the NUI may be abolished sometime down the road.

If that happens, all the NUIs will have to change their name anyway.

From NUIM's perspective, it might be better for the image of the University to change 'on their own terms' as it were, and not because they had to.

Not my opinion, just a little tidbit of background.

I thought I remembered Maynooth saying that they were going to stick with NUI Maynooth when it was announced that the NUI was to be dissolved though? Or was I making that up?

Staff bulletin said that it was envisaged that the name wouldn't change.
    Source.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Woodward

How so Joe wrote: »
    On the plus side, if the emails get a new domain, maybe they'll stop putting arbitrary numbers on the ends of them?

(Source of constant consternation for me - Maynooth, where I started in 2008, put 2009 on the end of my email address; UCL, where I started in '13, put 12 on the end of my email address. I can't win!!)

If you become staff you get a new address which doesnt have a year on the end

Woodward wrote: »
    If you become staff you get a new address which doesnt have a year on the end

Yes, but I'm clearly not staff. I'm a student in UCL now.
    If I became staff there I bet I could get rid of the number...!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Ms. Koi

I think we need more clarification before these guesses continue?

No!
    More guessing!
    You're not the boss around here Kellie! Thwip! is!
    (And seren_)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

It's a bit stupid to spend loads of money on re-branding when it could be spent on something which could be much more useful, like improving student services or something. But other than that, I don't really care if they change the name tbh.

Also, re: email addresses - because of starting in 2007 my email was just myfirstname.mylastname @ nuim.ie - no pesky numbers or middle initials. It was awesome. Wonder will it be the same if (or when >.>) I go back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

How so Joe wrote: »
    No!
    More guessing!
    You're not the boss around here Kellie! Thwip! is!
    (And seren_)

moriarty+shrug+face.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Doctor Strange

It's a stupid pointless change! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭kisaragi

Seren_ wrote: »
    Also, re: email addresses - because of starting in 2007 my email was just myfirstname.mylastname @ nuim.ie - no pesky numbers or middle initials. It was awesome. Wonder will it be the same if (or when >.>) I go back?

You keep your student number and afaik email address when you come back (at least I did anyway)! I never understood why they went from 6xxxxxxx to 10xxxxxxx after 2010... why didn't it become 70xxxxxx after 2010?

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭petronius

Not sure about the rebranding of Maynooth, I think the college/university is known just by the town name - ok NUIM or NUIMaynooth always sounded unusual - but isnt Maynooth University - the name of the Pontifical University of Maynooth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭miissjuly

I'm going into first year and the name National University of Ireland (NUI) was the reason I had it on my CAO list before DCU and other colleges and it sounds much better than Maynooth University. I will always call it National University of Ireland, Maynooth.

Advertisement