Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are benzo's still available on medical card?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Hersheys

Yeah I take benzo's and sleepers but its tightly controlled by my GP what I'm prescribed. I'd hate to suffer because of some idiots who sell on their stash...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭eireannBEAR

i agree this is a problem,and it is mostly drug addicts,who get repeat prescriptions its entirely the doctors fault. 1mg xanax/gerax 30mg,dalmane 05mg,zimmovane and d-10s are in demand. and usually fetch 2e a pill on the street not 1e.

but they should not be pulled off the medical card the doctor should be more responsible. some people need these drugs,at most a heroin addict should get a 30 day supply once off not repeated. they can be useful and less life destroying than methadone for detoxing drug addicts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

So you don't know any addicts who get private scripts for benzos, hence they pay for them and then sell them on the street. If you work in a chemist you must.

So how would removing them from the GMS prevent addicts from selling them.

Also you cannot claim every GMS script for benzos gets sold, there are plenty of people on benzos who do not sell them and take them as prescribed.

I cannot see any reason for removing them from the GMS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭d9oiu2wk07blr5

kdowling wrote: »
    I work in a pharmacy where there is 98% medical cards.
    Everyday we get guys in who get a months supply of diazepam and sleeping tablets and as soon as they get them they sell them on the street (in front of the pharmacy!!)
    They get around €1 a tablet. Diazepam can be prescribed three times a day and sleeping tablets two at night so some of these guys get 90 + 60 = €150 a month!

That's a nice little top up on top of their dole money.

I wouldn't mine but you can buy a months supply of diazepam on prescription for a little over €5 so it's not like people with a medical card will not be able to afford them if needed if its taken off medical card.

So let me get this straight, you work in a pharmacy that's filling scripts for patients who you then observe selling them on to third parties? You contacted the Gardai and they won't do anything and you're still dispensing despite knowing that these patients are selling drugs that only come on script. Why don't you's contact the superintendent or the drugs squad and alert the prescribing doctor while you're at it. If they don't stop prescribing these drugs report the doctor to the medical council. Out of interest, could the pharmacy not be held professionally and legally liable, considering you're continuing to dispense in full knowledge that those patients are selling on diazepam and sleeping tablets to other parties?

So let me get this straight, you work in a pharmacy that's filling scripts for patients who you then observe selling them on to third parties? You contacted the Gardai and they won't do anything and you're still dispensing despite knowing that these patients are selling drugs that only come on script. Why don't you's contact the drugs squad and alert the prescribing doctor and if they don't stop prescribing these drugs report the doctor to the medical council. Could the pharmacy not be held legally liable, considering you're continuing to dispense in full knowledge that that patient is selling on diazepam and sleeping tablets to other parties.

also its very easy for a pharmacy to refuse a script on these grounds,it happens all the time. so this story does not make sense when you think about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

kdowling wrote: »
    I work in a pharmacy where there is 98% medical cards.
    Everyday we get guys in who get a months supply of diazepam and sleeping tablets and as soon as they get them they sell them on the street (in front of the pharmacy!!)
    They get around €1 a tablet. Diazepam can be prescribed three times a day and sleeping tablets two at night so some of these guys get 90 + 60 = €150 a month!

That's a nice little top up on top of their dole money.

I wouldn't mine but you can buy a months supply of diazepam on prescription for a little over €5 so it's not like people with a medical card will not be able to afford them if needed if its taken off medical card.

guess the pharmacy is here:
    http://goo.gl/maps/EQbOj

or limerick :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭d9oiu2wk07blr5

also its very easy for a pharmacy to refuse a script on these grounds,it happens all the time. so this story does not make sense when you think about it.

+1. And if the pharmacist has any concern about the ongoing prescribing patterns of one or more particular doctors, I would have thought that they'd have a duty to alert the medical council and the PCRS.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Sauve wrote: »
    Ah now you're just being sensationalist.

Yes indeed...being a Chemist Man used to be such a quiet occupation....

http://www.herald.ie/news/my-terror-at-hands-of-masked-robbers-pharmacist-81-29238195.html
    He robbed the AC Boles pharmacy on Emmet Road in Dublin's Inchicore last May 2 with an accomplice, armed with a knife and screwdriver, and had been a customer, said Mr Boles.

Customer service indeed.....:(

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭JD DABA

This thread has nearly everything.

Social welfare
    Social welfare fraud
    Scumbags
    Drug addicts
    Useless Gardaí

Yeah :) its like some kind of rant pie/cake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

You dont have to give them out if you suspect something is up.

Christ sake, I went into the pharmacy a few weeks back looking for nurofen-plus, and I was treated like as druggy. Not a single place would give them out.

ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

You dont have to give them out if you suspect something is up.

Christ sake, I went into the pharmacy a few weeks back looking for nurofen-plus, and I was treated like as druggy. Not a single place would give them out.

ridiculous.

If you had been treated like a druggy you probably would have got them right away! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

lol doctors need to prescribe junkies with placebos

• Registered Users Posts: 24,196 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Or just fill benzo prescriptions for these people with poison pills. Simples.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

What about the people who need it? It's not a problem with the medical card, it's whatever dumb doctor prescribed the drugs, target your rage there.

Exactly! I'm on diazepam and sleepers (wouldn't guess it tho if you look at the time this was posted at :( ) along with antidepressants and stabilizers. Without the lot, I'd probably be in hospital again but hate to see doctors just throwing out scripts for anything to anyone.

Each month I have to give an account of my sleeping pattern and anxiety to get the diazepam and sleepers but have seen people just walk into the receptionist and ask for their script for whatever they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

All the GP's and psychs I've seen over the years have been very,very cautious about handing out scripts for Xanax and Diazepam.I usually just get thrown a load of seroquel unless I can convince them that I've not been able to sleep or switch my mind off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

I usually just get thrown a load of seroquel unless I can convince them that I've not been able to sleep or switch my mind off.

Dear god - don't mention those damn things! Years ago, I (while in really bad form) took nearly two weeks supply in one go just to shut my mind off. Result was 2 weeks in hospital. Maybe that's why my doc is kinda wary in prescribing benzos or sleepers :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

FanadMan wrote: »
    Dear god - don't mention those damn things! Years ago, I (while in really bad form) took nearly two weeks supply in one go just to shut my mind off. Result was 2 weeks in hospital. Maybe that's why my doc is kinda wary in prescribing benzos or sleepers :pac:

...because he is worried everyone will take 2 weeks supply in one go??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Many of the Benzos are anti-convulsant drugs. So should any epileptics be forced to pay for them on the GMS? I can tell you that anti-convulsants don't come cheap, well mine don't anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

You don't have to dispense whatever the doctor prescribes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's appropriate and less so the doctor's.

(If you're the pharmacist, that is)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭hyperborean

You don't have to dispense whatever the doctor prescribes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's appropriate and less so the doctor's.

(If you're the pharmacist, that is)

Really? thats mad, so the pharmacist can second guess the doctor? Does he see the patient file in order to make these decisions?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

Really? thats mad, so the pharmacist can second guess the doctor? Does he see the patient file in order to make these decisions?

In fairness sometimes a doctor may need the pharmacist to point out something they have overlooked. A doctor could easily make a mistake or not see where a newly prescribed tablet would react badly with a tablets someone is already on.

yes really! it happens all the time i personally know two people who were refused prescriptions by pharmacies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

I can work the Eastern Europeans into this discussion now too :p
    As I know a pharmacist that had to correct an EE doctors prescribing a way to high dose of painkillers to a child.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

The phamacist is the expert on medicines, not the doctor (who won't be unknowledgeable obviously but drugs won't be their area of expertise).

What do you think pharmacists do? They have assistants to pick boxes off shelves and count tablets.

Advertisement