Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are benzo's still available on medical card?

Options
  • 12-06-2013 10:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭

I work in a pharmacy where there is 98% medical cards.
    Everyday we get guys in who get a months supply of diazepam and sleeping tablets and as soon as they get them they sell them on the street (in front of the pharmacy!!)
    They get around €1 a tablet. Diazepam can be prescribed three times a day and sleeping tablets two at night so some of these guys get 90 + 60 = €150 a month!

That's a nice little top up on top of their dole money.

I wouldn't mine but you can buy a months supply of diazepam on prescription for a little over €5 so it's not like people with a medical card will not be able to afford them if needed if its taken off medical card.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

kdowling wrote: »
    Everyday we get guys in who get a months supply of diazepam and sleeping tablets and as soon as they get them they sell them on the street (in front of the pharmacy!!)
    They get around €1 a tablet. Diazepam can be prescribed three times a day and sleeping tablets two at night so some of these guys get 90 + 60 = €150 a month!

I wouldn't mine but you can buy a months supply of diazepam on prescription for a little over €5 so it's not like people with a medical card will not be able to afford them if needed if its taken off medical card.
    ......and where is this pharmacy? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Please say you reported this and then posted about it online?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

you forgot to deduct the 1.50 charge for every item nowadays.. cuts a huge amount off the profit ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭kdowling

humbert wrote: »
    Please say you reported this and then posted about it online?

Waste of time. The guards know about this. It happensall day, every day.
    The only way to stop it is to stop giving it to them for free. (Edit not free €1.50!)

garv123 wrote: »
    you forgot to deduct the 1.50 charge for every item nowadays.. cuts a huge amount off the profit ;)

Haha, sorry, profit for above example is €147 not €150 although not all pharmacies charge the €1.50 even though they should

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

This thread has nearly everything.

Social welfare
    Social welfare fraud
    Scumbags
    Drug addicts
    Useless Gardaí

OP, is there any chance you could work in a few Nazis?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

The only way to stop it is to stop giving it to them for free. (Edit not free €1.50!)

What about the people who need it? It's not a problem with the medical card, it's whatever dumb doctor prescribed the drugs, target your rage there.

This thread has nearly everything.

Social welfare
    Social welfare fraud
    Scumbags
    Drug addicts
    Useless Gardaí

OP, is there any chance you could work in a few Nazis?

Had a German guy in a few weeks ago looking for benzo's on his EU card.
    Didn't get his opinion on Jewish folk unfortunately!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

Had a German guy in a few weeks ago looking for benzo's on his EU card.
    Didn't get his opinion on Jewish folk unfortunately!

I did Nazi that one coming!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭hyperborean

Well it could be Germans (company) distributing and Isrealis (generics)manufacturing these drugs,

Full house

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

OP if you feel that the drugs you're dispensing are being abused, it's your pharmacists' responsibility to contact the prescriber and make them aware of the situation, as well as your local HSE.

Reports such as this are generally taken very seriously.

What about the people who need it? It's not a problem with the medical card, it's whatever dumb doctor prescribed the drugs, target your rage there.

First of all, I'm hardly in a rage!!
    I already mentioned in the op that they are not expensive. If people with a medical card need them they can buy them.

First of all, I'm hardly in a rage!!
    I already mentioned in the op that they are not expensive. If people with a medical card need them they can buy them.

You don't actually work in a pharmacy at all, do you?

Sauve wrote: »

Reports such as this are generally taken very seriously.

I would have to report nearly every doctor in the country then.

Ah now you're just being sensationalist.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

Ha, I'm sure you would, you work in nearly every pharmacy in the country too then?

Ha, I'm sure you would, you work in nearly every pharmacy in the country too then?

No, but I have locumed in hundreds of them.

Sauve wrote: »
    Ah now you're just being sensationalist.

Not really. It's certainly a problem with nearly every doctor in socially deprived areas.
    It's also becoming the housewives choice too in better areas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

Not really. It's certainly a problem with nearly every doctor in socially deprived areas.
    It's also becoming the housewives choice too in better areas.

Housewives in nice areas are selling benzos for €1 each that they got on the medical card :confused:

No, but I have locumed in hundreds of them.

If this is the case, I'm surprised OP. For a pharmacist/staff member to be referring to patients the way you have been on here is nothing short of unprofessional.
    If you have a problem with the way things are being done then go to the GPs, HSE, even the IPU.
    The way you're going about it is just belittling your profession tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

eh how about reporting it to someone who can actually do something about it. like the gp on the prescription they give you

*phone call from pharmacist*

"oh i see, they are selling them ok well I must stop prescribing them that then *trows new renewal prescription in bin*

problem solved :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Surely the pharmacist has a responsibility here to report them and the doctors. If an off licence can be done for supplying directly/ indirectly alcohol, I can't understand how this has not actioned and a blind eye being turned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

So basically stop medical card prescriptions for everybody because some people sell drugs?

Kinda like banning people from buying food in supermarkets because some people shoplift.

IM0 wrote: »
    eh how about reporting it to someone who can actually do something about it. like the gp on the prescription they give you

*phone call from pharmacist*

"oh i see, they are selling them ok well I must stop prescribing them that then *trows new renewal prescription in bin*

problem solved :confused:

Nice little example above but its not that simple I'm afraid!
    The doctor is more likely to say thanks for bringing that to my attention and then prescribe the exact same thing again.
    Did that initially as a newly qualified graduate, naively though reporting the problem to higher authorities would help too. It didn't and the practice continues every day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Nice little example above but its not that simple I'm afraid!
    The doctor is more likely to say thanks for bringing that to my attention and then prescribe the exact same thing again.
    Did that initially as a newly qualified graduate, naively though reporting the problem to higher authorities would help too. It didn't and the practice continues every day.

You need to escalate the reporting higher than the doctors if they don't care

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭marketty

Terrible Joe, how do these people sleep at night?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

marketty wrote: »
    Terrible Joe, how do these people sleep at night?

They take benzos.

Keep up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Squiggle

Boombastic wrote: »
    You need to escalate the reporting higher than the doctors if they don't care

The ultra efficient HSE will get it sorted. :pac:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Terrible Joe, the markup these Irish street dealers have on drugs Joe. I can fly to Barcelona and get me Benzos in a back alley off Las Ramblas for 50 cent, Joe. Granted the flights cost me a couple of hundred but my anecdote still stands as evidence.

• Advertisement

So you think by charging someone €5 for them, it will stop them selling them? Sure if they're making such a huge amount of money then a fiver will be well worth spending - they're only reducing their profits by a tiny amount of cash :confused:

So basically the only people who will actually suffer are the people who need them. Fair enough.

Advertisement