Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what the hell is with websites only doing apps now

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,254 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Well if you're lucky OP they will develop a Windows version of the app.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/apps#Cat=t1

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

I am surprised that websites, haven't gone the HTML 5 route instead. Instead of having to target different OS's they could just target the browsers, and use a lot of the same code, with tweaks for each platform (i would hope the tweaks would be minor, but I haven't done any web dev since college).

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

thejournal.ie are worst for it. They aggressively push the app on those browsing from a phone. I've stopped visiting it completely as a result of that and the seemingly endless stupefying slideshows of nonsense.
    firefox has an option to view the non-mobile version of a site.

What really irks is the apps that do nothing more than viewing the site in a browser would do. At the very lest make sure your app caches the stuff for offline viewing.

and then there is the whole security of badly written apps issue

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Haha

Posted from a smart phone

Advertisement