Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what the hell is with websites only doing apps now

Options
  • 11-06-2013 7:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭

and not having a little program you can download to a laptop like before, not everyone wants a ****in smartphone ffs

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

IM0 wrote: »
    and not having a little program you can download to a laptop like before, not everyone wants a ****in smartphone ffs

And not all smartphones support them.

:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Let's laugh at the OP for not having a smartphone. What is this, 2005?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

MadsL wrote: »
    Let's laugh at the OP for not having a smartphone. What is this, 2005?

no ill laugh at you for not having a life outside of a phone

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

You're in a small minority that's why
    irish-stew wrote: »
    And not all smartphones support them.

:mad:

Well..if you bought a 'smartphone' that isn't an Android, iPhone or a Windows phone, it was never really going to have a big app store anyway. I'm aware Windows Store isn't as good as the others but slowly clawing back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

What websites do that?

• Advertisement

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    You're in a small minority that's why

bastards :mad:

What websites do that?

Ive noticed a few, but the latest one was from another thread. esb calculator thing

https://www.electricireland.ie/ei/residential-energy-services/reduce-your-costs/smartphone-calculator.jsp

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

What websites do that?

thejournal.ie are worst for it. They aggressively push the app on those browsing from a phone. I've stopped visiting it completely as a result of that and the seemingly endless stupefying slideshows of nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Ive noticed a few, but the latest one was from another thread. esb calculator thing

https://www.electricireland.ie/ei/residential-energy-services/reduce-your-costs/smartphone-calculator.jsp
    Yeah, but that's an app. And anyway, by not having a smartphone you have already reduced your costs more than any savings by using that app would get you. So the app is sh1ite and you don't need it anyway.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

What ever happened to HTML5?

It was gonna solve all these problems, make everything look the same in every browser, let developers do even cooler stuff than Flash and Silverlight....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Grindr, OP?

UCDVet wrote: »
    What ever happened to HTML5?

It was gonna solve all these problems, make everything look the same in every browser, let developers do even cooler stuff than Flash and Silverlight....

ha thought I missed something, was reading something the other day and though "HTML5 when did that come in?" turns out it never quite made it from what you ask!

Grindr, OP?

why are you shilling the app you use to find other gays

There is a web calculator available..

https://www.electricireland.ie/ei/residential-energy-services/reduce-your-costs/web-calculator.jsp

You can use the web calculator on your PC or you can use the app on your phone because it's much harder to use the web calculator on a phone.

That's really how most apps work, you can go to rte.ie/player on your PC or you can download the app on your phone. You can use the browser version on your phone but it's really difficult so they made an app.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

thejournal.ie are worst for it. They aggressively push the app on those browsing from a phone. I've stopped visiting it completely as a result of that and the seemingly endless stupefying slideshows of nonsense.
    I tend to avoid links to it now too. Sick to death of insisting that I want to see the website and not download their pointless app.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭JD DABA

You can use a program called Bluestack, it simulates an android phone on your laptop...for apps from the google appstore.

Its on download.com

Just watch watch when installing cause they try to tag on a load of sh.it and reset your browser/homepage, usual lark.

Also i think they're pretty ballsy on their privacy policy, but if you are as frustrated as I was... well I just said fck it.

gctest50 wrote: »

is that like a virtual pc type thing, to be used to make a comp act like another different type? does it work for all apps you can download or just the ones it says it comes with?

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

Give this a shot OP

http://www.bluestacks.com/

No seriously, dunno how well this works for Apps on a laptop; give it a shot and tell us if it goes well! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

is that like a virtual pc type thing, to be used to make a comp act like another different type? does it work for all apps you can download or just the ones it says it comes with?

It pretends to be an iPad so you can run ipad apps on your pc
    Seems to work with a few more that it comes with

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭opti0nal

The apps are better than web pages from the point of view of the publisher as they can slurp your personal data (contacts, location, identity) and plant tracking cookies that you can't remove.

So the publisher gets a lot of info about you and what you do/read and where you go.

This can be sold on to marketeers who track you across multiple apps and try and sell you stuff based on observing your movements, online activities and self-profiling.

In short, apps get around the privacy protections built into web browsers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Completely agree. Daft do it too. Fair enough, build and develop and "app" if you want, but stupid to force it on people.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,502 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Daft are far worse - you download the app or you get nothing. Website version of the Soup Nazi.

Actually.. I was going to bring up something similar.

Are programs no longer called programs? I started using Windows 8 for the first time recently and have noticed the fact that when shutting down and it encounters a program that is preventing it, they refer to it as an "app" instead of a program, which has been the case with every other version of Windows.

Are programs no longer called programs? I started using Windows 8 for the first time recently and have noticed the fact that when shutting down and it encounters a program that is preventing it, they refer to it as an "app" instead of a program, which has been the case with every other version of Windows.

I'm guessing you haven't seen the new simplified task manager then either then.

It's a bit stupid really, I want my computer to be a computer rather than a tablet OS installed into a computer. But when you look past the Metro UI and 'apps'..it is a lot better than W7 in most ways.

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    I'm guessing you haven't seen the new simplified task manager then either then.

It's a bit stupid really, I want my computer to be a computer rather than a tablet OS installed into a computer. But when you look past the Metro UI and 'apps'..it is a lot better than W7 in most ways.

I don't get the need for the Start screen at all, at least not on a laptop. Yes, having those home icons on a tablet device or smart phone makes sense, but not so much with a full keyboard and mouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Scruffles

add to that a lot of these cloud based file hosts,grrrr bugger off with that iphone/ipad exclusive crap,in the amazing offchance one of them has found their way onto a proper computer ,the bstards always turn out to be windows only,surely itd be easier adapting IOS versions to work on linux given the close relation to UNIX from both sides?

anyway,these app obsessed sites will reap what they sow,when some script kiddy hears of an easy exploit and screws their app [which ironicaly,there is a very good app for that,am not a blackhat btw].

why are you shilling the app you use to find other gays

Thanks for explaining the joke :D

• Advertisement

Thanks for explaining the joke :D

and thanks for shilling my thread with gay apps, Im sure someone in here will contact you for a hook up

Advertisement